millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Your Top Ten Movies Of 2018!

We have one of these threads every year, and now feels like the time…

I’ll have to have a think about my list but I’ll be interested to see what comes out on top for most people. (Some film involving a glove and a purple guy might feature heavily, I suspect.)

2 Likes

My top ten as they stand so far:

1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Mirai
  3. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
  4. Isle of Dogs
  5. The Shape of Water
  6. Mary and the Witch’s Flower
  7. The Post
  8. Mandy
  9. First Man
  10. Climax

Obviously we still have some time, but if I’m being really honest with myself, I don’t see anything cracking this list.

Also, I only saw Spider-Man last night, so I wonder if I’ll end up moving it down after a subsequent viewing or something.

3 Likes

I only saw 10 films in the theater this year, and three of them were from 2017, so I’ll just improvise:

1. Isle of Dogs
  2. Black Panther
  3. A Quiet Place
  4. Mission Impossible: Fallout
  5. Avengers Infinity War
  6. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  7. Solo
3 Likes

Mostly not in order

1. The Death of Stalin
  2. Isle of Dogs
  3. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
  4. Halloween
  5. Overlord
  6. Sorry To Bother You
  7. Deadpool 2
  8. American Animals

And the last two spots I could give to a couple of movies I enjoyed…but I only sorta liked them and it’d feel weird to put them on the list, so they’re empty.

3 Likes

Annihilation: probably my film of the year. The kind of creepy, atmospheric, thought-provoking sci-fi that you thought they didn’t make any more. It’s lived long in the memory, and after this and Ex Machina I can’t wait to see what Garland does next.

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle: this kind of straddled the late 2017/early 2018 release window, so what the hell, I’m including it. This was surprisingly good fun, capturing the spirit of the original but updating it with some fun videogame ideas and an incredibly likeable cast.

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies: this was just a delight, and by far my favourite superhero movie of the year. I can’t wait to watch it another couple of times over Christmas to catch all the jokes I missed.

The Death Of Stalin: again, this had a global staggered release in late 2017/early 2018 and I didn’t get to see it until this year, so I’m including it. While not Iannucci’s best, it’s still a brilliantly darkly funny film that feels scarily relevant today in many respects.

Solo: A Star Wars Story: after the backlash I lowered my expectations and was pleasantly surprised. A fun, light romp that captures the spirit of the original trilogy better than any of the other Disney SW movies.

Black Panther: slick, fun and enjoyable to watch, although I haven’t been motivated to return to it after my first viewing. Nice to have some slightly meater ideas explored by a mainstream superhero film.

Avengers: Infinity War: you have to admire the ambition and scale of this movie, even if (like me) you find it lacking in terms of the way the story is put together and flows from scene to scene. An uneven hodgepodge, but a fun translation of the feel of a crossover event comic to the big screen.

Venom: schlocky, stupid, fun, silly, violent, wacky, unpleasant, hugely enjoyable nonsense.

Incredibles 2: felt a bit phoned-in to me, and virtually remakes the first movie, but it had its moments.

Ralph Breaks The Internet: A mixed bag that uncritically celebrates some of the worst aspects of internet culture and Disney at the same time as it cleverly satirises others. I feel like I’m going to have to see this again to decide whether I really like it or not.

Plenty of films I didn’t yet get around to seeing, like Ant-Man and the Wasp, First Man, Deadpool 2, A Star Is Born, Predator and Ready Player One. And the Christmas season has a few films that I still want to catch, like The Favourite, Bumblebee, Aquaman and Spider-Verse.

8 Likes

So I saw two movies in the cinema this year, and they were both really good. So joint first position goes to Sorry To Bother You and The Image you Missed

1 Like
  1. Annhiliation
  2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  3. First Man
  4. Infinity War
  5. Sorry to bother You
  6. Mission Impossible
  7. Creed 2
  8. Black Panther

So, I’ve only seen 19 films in the cinema this year, so easier just to rank them all:

(I started out with 15 … have then added in the ones I forgot about, plus the ones I saw after their cinema release)

1) Love, Simon
For lots of reasons, a film that meant a huge amount to me this year (and in honesty, one I’m still processing a bit in my head). Stories about people like you really matter, and this - for all its superficial simplicity - is the sort of story I’d’ve have loved to have been around when I was Simon’s age.

I saw this at more or less the same time as I saw The Inheritance at the theatre, which is easily my play of the year, and whose themes intersected with this perfectly. (The Inheritance is also top of my list for overall best piece of entertainment I’ve seen this year)

2) Black Panther
Just pips Avengers for the best Marvel film of the year, partly because I saw this in a packed cinema in North London full of people who felt that, just like Love, Simon did for me, they clearly felt this was a story about people like them. Hands down the most enthusiastic, involved, excited and appreciative cinema audience I’ve been part of this year.

3) Avengers: Infinity War
Well, d’uh! Assuming they don’t completely banjax the landing, the accomplishment in steering the Marvel franchise towards this is just colossal. Teenage me geeked out when Infinity Gauntlet first came out … adult me double-geeked (triple-geeked? quadruple-geeked? infinite-geeked?) out over seeing this story, these characters on the big screen and it all just coming together beautifully.

4) The Greatest Showman
This was the first film I saw this year and you know what, I bloody loved it. It knows exactly what it’s doing, it hits all the cliched notes, but it doesn’t matter, it makes no excuses or apologies for it. This was the Victorian era X-Men, with songs, and I’m still singing them in the shower almost a year later.

5) Coco
Possibly my favourite Pixar film, which is saying something.

6) Deadpool 2
Oops, missed this out at first! Almost as much fun as the first.

7) Isle of Dogs
I really wasn’t expecting to be that fussed about this, but absolutely loved it.

8) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
I’m a McDonagh fan … I love how he plays around with ideas and form and expectations. This had its flaws, but amazing acting and compelling. (My favourite McDonagh piece of the year, both writing and acting, goes to Jim Broadbent starring as Hans Christian Andersen in A Very Very Very Dark Matter which is … very dark)

9) A Quiet Place
Genuinely terrifying. Again, flawed, but riveting viewing … and in contrast to Black Panther, the quietest cinema experience I’ve ever had in a full auditorium in my local cinema. You could hear people not breathing.

10) The Post
Slick, competent, interesting, relevant. Eminently watchable.

11) Ant-Man and the Wasp
I did really enjoy this, but definitely one of the lighter instalments. I’m v fond of Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne though, and hope the whole family/team are going to be sticking around a bit at least.

12) Bohemian Rhapsody
V mixed feelings on this. Phenomenally watchable, amazing performances (including one of my colleague’s brother as Brian May :slight_smile: ), and a killer soundtrack … but … but … it’s very clearly a very particular way of telling the story of Mercury and Queen, dictated by the surviving members of the band, and their version of story jars just a little too much with the real history for me (shifting the timing of his HIV diagnosis so significantly was the point where I lost all sympathy for their revisionist approach)

13) Pacific Rim Uprising
I mean, it’s still giant robots kicking the shit out of huge monsters, what’s not to love? Also, my god, how charismatic is John Boyega? (who would have carried this film on his own by sheer strength of personality alone … and it also continues to show how under-served he is in the Star Wars franchise to be honest. I saw him in stage last year in a version of Woycek and was hugely impressed, and this just confirmed that)

14) The Incredibles II
Watchable, fun at the time, but again, very sequel-y.

15) Annihilation
Less blown away by this that I’d hoped/expected to be.

16) Solo
I ate popcorn, and it was OK and all but utterly forgettable.

And then the three I was really disappointed in:

17) Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Just flat. Some great potential in its cast, but JK Rowling desperately in need of a script editor now.

18) The Shape of Water
I was really disappointed in this - more style than substance.

19) Darkest Hour
And similarly not impressed with this. Thought it, again, had some outstanding acting performance (Oldman, clearly in a league of his own) … but thought the tone was misjudged.

Might still be a few to juggle in before year’s end.

3 Likes

I completely forgot I’d seen Coco and Three Billboards this year (I guess because they were so early in the year). I enjoyed both a lot, they definitely belong on my list too.

I haven’t seen 10 movies this year. So this is all of them:

1. Infinity War
  2. Ant Man and the Wasp
  3. Solo
  4. Deadpool 2
  5. Venom
  6. Black Panther

If I’ve forgotten something it obviously doesn’t deserve to be on the list anyway.

2 Likes

Still a few I want to see, but for now:

1. Leave No Trace
  2. Mission: Impossible – Fallout
  3. Widows
  4. Annihilation
  5. Suspiria
  6. The Favourite
  7. Eighth Grade
  8. Game Night
  9. The Tale
  10. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
4 Likes

I’ve only seen 3 movies made this year. In order of enjoyment:
Deadpool 2
Black Panther
Incredibles 2

3 Likes

There’s still some I’ll be catching later, but here’s ten favorites:

• Isle of Dogs
  • The Death of Stalin
  • Damsel
  • Gringo
  • Super Troopers 2
  • Widows
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Solo: A Star Wars Movie
  • Tag
  • Mission: Impossible - Fallout

I think it’s been a great year.

1 Like

Held off doing this as I’ve got a lot I want to try fit in while I’m off work, but if I’m honest with myself I might be lucky to get through 3-5 of them in the next 2 weeks, so I’ll go with what I’ve watched.

Top 10 from what I’ve seen, order could possibly fluctuate each time I could try to do this, and there’s a few that were borderline making the top 10.

That’s a demonstration to me that it’s been a decent year for good movies, relatively speaking anyway.

As usual, the list is based on impact, how memorable they were and how much I’d like to watch them again. For example -
Is Leave No Trace better than Titans Go?
Possibly…
Did I enjoy it more, absolutely not…

1.Mandy

Perhaps as much of an experience than a movie, but it is utterly immersive both with audio and visuals. I don’t want to wax lyrically about it in this thread, because i wouldn’t know where to stop - but I don’t think I’ve stopped talking about it since I watched it. I can’t not top the list with it.

1. The shape of water

Beautiful little film and a bit of a throwback. Everything about it felt very polished. The sets were amazing, the effects, the direction, the script felt complete and provided good lines for an excellent cast. Del Toro, like Burton, is a world builder who delivers a lot of atmosphere in his movies. Im glad it won the Oscar.

1. The Predator

Not a popular movie on Millarworld because you cunts are all clearly insane, but I’m desperate to see it again. Brilliant fun and truly entertaining from start to finish. I left the cinema absolutely buzzing.

1. Annihilation

It’s a little bit patchy but overall this was a unique and outstanding movie. Some amazing scenes and it kept me guessing throughout. So impressive and even more so because it was free.

1. Halloween

Thought this was better than any expectations I had. It managed to match the tone and feel of the original movie perfectly. Some memorable moments and a worthy sequel to the classic original. Tense finale as well.

1. Teen titans go

Yeah this was fucking awesome. I went in to this with my wife and kids expecting to go for a kip, ended up enjoying it more than any of them, although they did too. Genuinely laugh out loud funny (I got some weird looks from other parents) and great energy and Easter eggs aplenty.

1. You were never really here

Lynne Ramsey does it again…mostly. Phoenix was superb, some really cool moments backed by brilliant sounds. Really clever and powerful in places, although I’m getting a little bit wearied by this obtuse style of directing and editing. Sometimes I just wish they’d tell the fucking story and stop being wanky. But that’s mood dependent. Overall this was pretty great.

1. Deadpool 2

Bit long but an absolute riot again. Genuinely funny as fuck. A kids version of this would never work for me: The swearing, violence and ‘adult’ tone is what made this movie worth watching. All it was missing was some boobies. Domino was awesome. Great casting choice. Cable was also awesome but Domino was so good that it’s encouraged me to get back to Simone’s book. (Which I enjoyed the first issue of, just not into the character enough to keep buying it. That has changed a bit since watching this movie). Rewatchability factor is very high.

1. Black Panther

Really fantastic superhero movie and it felt different due to the focus on African culture, music and aesthetics. Wonderful cast, brilliant antagonist, possibly my favourite of all the Marvel movies. Good twists and turns. This would have been MUCH higher up the list if it wasn’t for the final fight scene which was really bad. Other than that it was a great film and probably my favourite Marvel studios movie to date.

1. Mute

I loved this movie. I feel I might be alone in that. I loved the world and the characters and I kinda got lost in it all. The feel of the movie is one that really appeals to my tastes, maybe I’m more prone to enjoying such things. I certainly didn’t have the problems with it that others do. I thought it was a good idea, with characters I really cared for. It was well crafted but it could have done with being a bit more refined and losing maybe 15-20 mins.

Actually feel like watching it again thinking back on it.

Just missed the list;

Avengers (too long) , leave no trace (too depressing, shite ending), isle of dogs (too many dips and felt repetitive), ready player one (too messy, too much cgi), first reformed (felt depressed for days after this), happy death day (good fun but never a top 10 movie)

Still have not watched the following, any one of which could end up on there;

A quiet place, Aquaman, Spider-Man, Upgrade, sorry to bother you, Solo, White boy rick, the old man and the gun, 3 billboards, ghost stories, an evening with Beverly luff linn, the night comes for us, hold on the dark, outlaw king

6 Likes

I’m still working on processing You Were Never Really Here. It’s a fascinating spotlight for Phoenix, but it’s just an experience I’ll need to watch a few more times, I think.

Let me redo my top ten as of now:

1. Isle of Dogs - I’ve gushed about this before; it’s a brilliant, complete package of casting, storytelling, and moviemaking flare.
  2. The Death of Stalin - I love the discussions going on about this one elsewhere. I love that it’s such a challenge. I love that it takes a nightmare scenario concerning a regime that couldn’t be less likely to be the subject of a movie like this, and completely turns it on its head. This is the textbook definition of farce, the opposite of what it seems it should be, and in that way illuminates the conditions and personalities with exquisite perfection.
  3. Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald - After Goblet of Fire, I think this is about as perfect a cinematic experience from the world of Harry Potter that has yet appeared.
  4. The Old Man & the Gun - A truly elegiac farewell to Robert Redford.
  5. Damsel - A gloriously subversive western.
  6. Gringo - A farce of a different variety than Death of Stalin, but even more delirious, if that’s even possible.
  7. Super Troopers 2 - I’m not actually even that big a fan of the first one, so much a fan of Broken Lizard in general. But lampooning Canadians and America’s current reputation helps elevate the material.
  8. Widows - Moreso than BlackKklansman, I think this one nails the complexities of race relations in modern America.
  9. Solo: A Star Wars Movie - I’m that rare fan who loved this one.
  10. Dark Crimes - Fascinating performance from Jim Carrey.
4 Likes

I won’t see any more movies this year, so I have:

1. Annihilation- This movie is a mood.

2. The Favourite- I feel like I watch a lot of movies but I’ve never seen one quite like this one. The closest film I can think of is maybe Barry Lyndon, but I’ve never seen anything where the women are allowed to be disgusting, violent, and foul, and the men are all dandies. I also had no idea where the plot was going until the end which is rare.

3. You Were Never Really Here- I saw this back in January so I don’t remember it well, but Phoenix and Ramsay are an ace pairing.

4. First Reformed- Incredibly thoughtful, powerful, reminiscent of 1970s cinema. I’m keen to watch this one again.

5. Leave No Trace- Christ this is a depressing list. Although I didn’t find the ending of this one as bleak as Chris did.

6. Mandy- It seemed like a drone metal album come to life, and a world unto itself. Also the best in-theater experience I had all year, with lots of laughing, applause, strangers talking to strangers on the way out.

7. Roma- Don’t like it quite as much as the hype but from a visual perspective it delivers.

8. The Ballad of Buster Skruggs- The Coens are arguably most at home in Westerns, and this gives them a range of material to explore. Some bits are hilarious, some are musical, and a lot of it is dark. The bit with Liam Neeson is in some ways the best horror movie of the year. Pitch black.

9. Sorry To Bother You- Not perfect, and the Tessa Thompson character seems out of place, but I love the bold bursts of random ideas and early-Vertigo vibe of marrying surrealism, humor, and politics.

10. Spider-Verse- This one really shows how conservative most superhero movies are. It’s like a comic book come to life and forging its own path from a visual perspective.

Anyway, good year.

6 Likes

Currently being shown on one of the premium channels (HBO? Showtime?); I watched it over the holiday weekend, and it is still brilliant!!

1 Like

It’s quickly become one of my all-time favorites.

2 Likes

As someone who hasn’t seen Annihilation yet, I think that Isle of Dogs is probably the best sci-fi movie of the year. Who would have expected that from Wes Anderson?

1 Like

I can no longer watch this movie without hearing Leslie Jones’ commentary.

1 Like