millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Your Top Ten Comic Book Movies

Yes it’s a list thread, but I like list threads.

According to Box Office Mojo there’s been 140 comic book movies since 1978. Here’s the list. So given the wide selection, what’s your top ten?

I’ll start.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy - no shock to anyone here.
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Man of Steel - controversial!
  4. The Avengers - only becasue of the amazing third act. Otherwise it wouldn’t rate at all.
  5. Kingsman - I love the energy and spirit of this movie
  6. 300 - I always have to watch this when I’m flicking through TV
  7. A History of Violence - Someone needs to do this with a supervillain.
  8. Iron Man 3 - hurt by the third act somewhat
  9. The Dark Knight Rises - I think it’s better than it was given credit for.Lots of fantastic moments in it
  10. Constantine - seems to get better and better over the years.

Alright, let’s go.
No order unless obvious.

1. Men In Black
  2. Spider-Man 2
  3. Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut
  4. Batman Forever
  5. Hulk - now this is controversial
  6. The Peanuts Movie
  7. Road to Perdition
  8. Blade 2
  9. Judge Dredd
  10. Superman: The Movie.

In no particular order other than what came to mind first…

• Batman - Keaton, Nicholson and Burton OH MY!
  • Superman 3 - Shut up.
  • The Avengers - Because…THE AVENGERS!!
  • Dr Strange - Because I know I’m going to love it.
  • Dick Tracy - Like Dr Strange will be, it was one of those movies that just made my lifetime.
  • The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Yes, I know most folks hated it but THE NAUTILUS!
  • The 1990 Ninja Turtles Movie - Don’t judge me.
  • Sin City - Yeah, you know this was coming.
  • Captain America - I’m a sucker for that flick and Peggy Carter.
  • Ant-Man - Just really good fun.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Fritz the Cat, Batman: Under The Red Hood, The Losers, Tales from the Crypt…

These the ones I would actually watch multiple times (and have!):

1. Deadpool
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Heavy Metal
  4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  5. Kingsman: The Secret Service
  6. Big Hero 6
  7. Blade
  8. Ghost World
  9. A History of Violence

I can’t think of one to fill my #10 spot and that’s after looking at this list: .

Hmmm (not necessarily in order):

Avengers: just because how much of a high we all came out of it on after. All the fun and excitement of how I felt about comics as a kid, packaged and RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN. Plus, with added Carlos.

Superman 2: I never read Superman comics as a kid (they just weren’t available), so the first two Christopher Reeve films were Superman to me. I had an LP with the music on, and used to listen to the John Williams theme over and over.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: I had to be persuaded into the comics but ended up a convert.

Guardians of the Galaxy: so much fun

The Dark Knight: I think probably the best Batman has been on the big screen

Kingsman: because it made me giggle like a lunatic

Flash Gordon: again, more because of how perfectly comic book it is. It’s one of those films that’s a common piece of shared history, and by God, it just keeps giving.

X-Men: Days of Future Past: Flawed, but I think overall my favourite of the X-Men films - X2 and First Class would tie for second I think.

Deadpool: Fresh air, breath of.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: more because it surprised me how much I did like it to be honest.

…honourable mention for Popeye, which was the first ever film I saw in a cinema (aged 4 and a quarter!)

1. Superman The Movie
  2. The Crow
  3. Batman
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. X-Men 2
  6. Spider-Man 2
  7. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  8. Spider-Man
  9. Wolverine 2
  10. American Splendor

Now, for “superhero” movies not based on comics, I would add Robocop and The Matrix near the top and Darkman near the bottom 5.

That list includes Raymond Briggs’ When The Wind Blows, which was one of the things which quietly terrified me about the prospect of an imminent nuclear war as a (slightly overly sensitive) ten year old.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
  2. Sin City
  3. Watchmen
  4. Avengers
  5. The Dark Knight
  6. Iron Man
  7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  8. X-Men: Days of Future Past
  9. Deadpool

Tied for 10th:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
The Crow
From Hell
A History of Violence
Ghost World
Howard the Duck

1. Spider-Man 2: I’ve talked about this before, but I think this film is pretty much the perfect superhero film. It explores what it means to be truly heroic, has a hugely likeable cast, features some amazing visuals, keeps some great soap-opera subplots moving along, and leaves you feeling thrilled and elated after watching it.

2. The Dark Knight: Really difficult to choose between this and Spidey for the top spot, as I think this is the most intellectually-satisfying movie, but doesn’t quite have the heart of my number one choice. The way it’s constructed is brilliant though, and it has the single best performance of any comic book film (clue: I’m not talking about Christian Bale). I still get goosebumps during that closing montage.

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: As the Marvel movies age it’s been interesting to see which ones I come back to and which ones I’m not so keen on any more. This isn’t as showy or crowd-pleasing as Avengers but it’s the better-made movie, and offers some provocative political ideas to go along with the drama and great action. On the strength of this I’m confident Civil War will deliver.

4. X-Men 2: Takes everything that was good about the first movie and makes it great. The characters are richer, the relationships are more complicated, the powers are more spectacular (that Nightcrawler opening is still one of the best action scenes in any superhero movie, many years on), and the story is very compelling.

5. Avengers: It’s a gleeful celebration of everything that’s fun about Marvel comics, and it also marks the moment at which the MCU really came of age, and people realised that Marvel Studios had pulled it off, and caused a seismic shift in the landscape of superhero films. Plus, it has Hulk smashing the shit out of Loki. That never gets old.

6. Iron Man: Fun, flashy, cool, anchored by a great lead performance and a sincere, faithful approach to its comics roots.

7. Iron Man 3: Very nearly the equal of the first movie. Tons of fun, with some enjoyable surprises along the way, and a child actor who somehow manages to not be annoying.

8. Spider-Man: I love Spider-Man, and this conveyed a lot of what I love about him. There are one or two bits that make me wince when I watch them now, but by and large it still stands as a superhero movie with a lot of heart, and an uncynical, pure approach to its subject.

9. Batman Begins - The film that made people forget about Batman and Robin. That would be enough, but it also managed to be a brilliant Year One style story that showed people that superhero films could be a bit more mature than they thought, setting the stage perfectly for its superior sequel.

10. Sin City - it feels like a comic book come to life in a way that very few films have ever managed to achieve. As a Frank Miller fan it had to make my list.

Honorable mentions for Burton’s Batman and Batman Returns (largely for the production design), and Blade and Blade 2, which I think are often overlooked as forerunners for the superhero movie in its modern form (along with the original X-Men). Oh, and also Batman '66 because it’s ludicrously fun, even if I couldn’t call it a great movie. Akira for its ambition. Deadpool for being so damn funny. And DoFP for course-correcting the X-Men universe in spectacular fashion. OK, I’ll stop now.

The early concept models for Robocop suggest it maybe was based on a comic!

Not what I think is the BEST example of comics-to-movies, but only based on my personal enjoyment:

1. Dark Knight
  2. Avengers
    3.V For Vendetta
  3. 300
  4. Iron Man 3
  5. Guardians of The Galaxy
  6. Winter Soldier
    8.Spidey 2
  7. Man of Steel
  8. Iron Man

1. Avengers (Not because it’s the best movie, but it is the single best time I’ve ever had watching a movie in a theater. Great crowd, and a third act that was basically a culmination of all of my childhood dreams.)
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. The Dark Knight
  4. Iron Man
  5. Batman Begins
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Iron Man 3
  8. Dark Knight Rises (Deeply flawed, but I still enjoy the hell out of it)
  9. Thor
    10)Captain America: First Avenger (I find it incredibly charming.)

Probably a good time time for this thread…

1 Spider-Man 2
2 X-Men
3 Sin City
4 Dark Knight Rises
5 30 Days of Night
6 X-Men DoFP
7 Iron Man 3
8 A History of Violence
9 Blade 2
10 Hellboy 2

Dredd & Winter Soldier just got eased out of the top10 in the end. Neither have as strong rewatchability factor as the rest of my list, Although they both had a strong impact.

I’m going for longetivity here, my list could change order and entries with rewatches, however Spider-Man 2 and X-Men will never leave my top 5.

Spider-Man 2 is the perfect comic book movie. I can still remember buzzing about with a group of friends leaving the cinema, contrast that with leaving disappointed, disecting more recent comic book movies.

X-Men I think I wore out the DVD on. It’s so often forgotten how this film rejuvenated the whole comic book movie industry. I watched it to death and I wasn’t even a fan of the X-men.

I rewatched 30 Days recently in a very intimate screening room at a festival recently so it’s boosted right up my list. So bleak. One of the most hopeless, haunting, desperate viewing experiences ever.

Sin City was mindblowing when it came out. A genuinely unique effort.

Dark Knight Rises was my favourite of a great Batman trilogy and ended it perfectly.

DoFP raised the game again after a lacklustre effort with First Class. It’s probably my favourite superhero movie in the last few years. A lot of fun.

Iron Man 3 is my favourite of the Marvel studio movies, the Xmas setting is so atmospheric and it has Shane Black’s talented fingerprints all over it. It dips a bit at the end, but it’s not often I turn to my wife in the cinema, tap her shoulder and whisper ‘this is fucking brilliant’ into her ear.

A History of Violence took a typically solid, well written John Wagner story and added some serious Cronenburg edge. Brilliant movie. That and the Eastern Promises back to back was a great period of cinema for the director.

Both Blade 2 and Hellboy 2 took great, fun, first entries and added some humour and more atmosphere & Del Toro influences to both.
The world of comic book movies miss him as a director.

Oh how I wish a director as talented as Del Toro or Raimi had their hands on BvS and the DC movie universe right now.

Not to mention all the dialogue is Dredd’s (with all due respect that they ripped half of that off Dirty HarrY) and the scenes taken straight out of The Dark Knight Returns. The TV pundits providing the commentary and ripping a hostage taker through a wall.

I adore Robocop but original it ain’t, it’s a hair’s breadth away from a law suit from start to finish.

Well NOW I need to watch Robocop.

Superman
The Dark Knight
Iron Man
Avengers
Kick-Ass
Atom Man versus Superman
Batman Returns
X-Men: First Class
Batman (1943)

and many contenders for the 10th spot, ever shifting in favoritism…

The Dark Knight - Nolan is a master at building tension and he does it best here. Ledger gives one of my favorite performances.
Sin City - Still so stylish and cool. Mickey Rourke rules.
X-Men - I like it a little bit more than X2. The prejudice themes of the X-Men are a little more central. Some excellent fights, too.
X2 - Some of my favorite Wolverine moments in any medium. Once again, Singer shows how important interesting, visually striking fight scenes are to superhero films (you’d think that would be obvious).
A History of Violence - One of my favorite Cronenberg movies.
Spider-Man 2 - I haven’t seen this in a while but I remember loving it, especially Molina. Sam Raimi is great at visualizing a world with superheroes in it.
The Dark Knight Rises - A mess but the good far outweighs the bad.
Guardians of the Galaxy - Maybe the funniest superhero movie. But there’s some real pathos to it, too, like when we see Rocket’s body, and of course, that first scene.
X-Men: Days of Future Past - Singer proves he’s still got it.
Batman (Tim Burton) - The best depiction of Gotham, bar none.

I really want to sit down sometime and watch all of those old superhero serials. I got a taste of the Batman, Superman and Green Hornet ones the other night and they were fun.

I did learn that Max Fleischer, the man behind the great Superman cartoons, was actually supposed to direct the live action 1943 Batman serial but had to drop out due to scheduling. Those would have been a sight to behold!

I find it so hard to resist lists - slightly worried it’s becoming a compulsion! I haven’t seen some of the most recent superhero flicks (haven’t seen Batman Vs Superman, Ant Man or Deadpool yet), and judging from everyone else’s lists I really need to get around to History Of Violence at some point. The following are in today’s order (subject to fluctuating depending upon the mood I’m in);

1: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World - Utterly unique (and I guess, judging by its box office, destined to remain so), this one isn’t for everybody but its mix of odd humour, bittersweet romance, videogame/anime-style action, infectious music and surreal moments absolutely hits the sweet spot for me.
2: The Avengers - It takes a while to get going, but when it does it’s blissful. It’s the interaction between the characters that makes this special; the humour, the tensions, and in the epic action at the end, the teamwork.
3: Spider-Man 2 - I especially love the first part of the movie, with its focus on how being a superhero is wrecking every aspect of Peter Parker’s life. That, to me, is Spidey to a tee. And JK Simmons is perfect.
4: Lone Wolf And Cub - Ok, I’m totally cheating here by smushing a six film franchise into one slot, but it’s been a very long time since I’ve watched them and my memories of them are blurred together at the moment! The first two (Sword Of Vengeance and Babycart At The River Styx) are especially great as I recall, and incredibly faithful to the comics. Long overdue for a rewatch…
5: Captain America: The Winter Soldier - I love the way this builds on the work done in both the first Cap film and Avengers, while still being very much its own film (superhero-tinged spy-fi thriller).
6: Superman The Movie - Still a classic (even though the last third is a bit underwhelming).
7: Akira - As Dave said earlier, this film is so ambitious. Still mindblowing today.
8: Guardians Of The Galaxy - Super fun. Like Edgar Wright, James Gunn has a certain sensibility to his films that always appeals to me.
9: Oldboy - I’ve never read the comic so I don’t know how faithful an adaptation this is, but Park Chan-wook’s film is compelling; twisted, darkly comic and unforgettable.
10: The Dark Knight - I personally don’t think this film is as good as others seem to find it (I have a few issues with it), but the sustained tone of unease and dread (greatly aided by Zimmer’s score) more than compensates for the things that don’t work for me. And Gary Oldman is perfect.

Oh, good call with this. Me and a couple of friends did a marathon of it years ago. Good times!