millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Your Mt Rushmore of Horror

Thinking about Wes Craven passing and how he created 2 defining faces of the horror genre - Ghostface from Scream and Freddy from Nightmare on Elm St. It got me thinking about which fictional characters really are the best of all time.

So who would you put on your Mt Rushmore of horror? Is it simply Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman and The Mummy (and which iterations?). Are they really relevant considering all the characters we’ve had in modern cinema? Or should it be Freddy, Jason, Michael Meyers and Pinhead? Or someone else entirely?

For me:

Satan, Freddy, Michael Myers, and the Alien.

I’ve never really been spooked by, or really fascinated by, the Universal classics with the exception of the Invisible Man (although I do like some of the films quite a lot).

Or…

BOB from Twin Peaks, the Alien, Pinhead, and the Follower from It Follows.

I really should see Halloween. I’m embarrassed I haven’t.

As well you should be!

Which movie version of Satan do you mean, Robert?

Obviously-

No specific film. Omen, Rosemary’s Baby, Prince of Darkness, Exorcist, take your pick. More that I’m forgetting. I’m more inclined to see a new Satan movie than any other movie monster, if all else is equal.

John Carpenter’s The Thing!

Good one! That replaces Pinhead for me.

I think mine are Bela Legosi Dracula (more than Christopher Lee, though it’s a tough choice), Freddy, Pinhead and Jason.

I think this face would have to be on my Mt Rushmore:

Count Orlok (Nosferatu, 1922), Erik (The Phantom of the Opera, 1925), The Monster (Frankenstein, 1931) and The Xenomorph (Alien, 1979)

Why are you posting your selfies here, Jerry?

Christopher Lee
Peter Cushing
Boris Karloff
Bela Lugosi

and the Invisible Man …

The Thing could fill the side of Mount Rushmore all by itself!

One of my favourite horror films is Carpenter’s ‘The Fog’, but you never see the ghost’s face’s clearly. I guess they could heavily backlight part of the mountain?

Add in Karloff as The Mummy and Michael Myers and I would be happy, but horror has produced some great characters over it’s long history.

Pazuzu from The Exorcist surely. The movie was banned until I was an adult, but even at 22 it really scared me

The Wolfman is rubbish now, but as a kid the werewolf freaked me out more than anything.

The witch from HR Pufnstuff. This was on here in Scotland when I was around 3 and she featured in the first nightmare I can remember having, where she asked me to go to the shops to get her something. Not that scary, I know, but I remember crying about it when I woke up.

Death in the Devil Rides Out. Again, not that scary now, but I remember thinking this was the best horror movie I’d ever seen when I was 10 and a rare hero roll for Christopher Lee, whom I always loved. That movie really built up brilliantly and this was the big horror orgasm at the end.

*Honourable mention: The kid scratching the window in Salem’s Lot and Henry from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, which was such a brilliant performance I had to go and see Little Man Tate right after it to get it out of my head.

I always liked Dracula and Frankenstein pics, but the latter never scared me even as a kid. I got to stay up late every Friday night for the STV horror double bill (usually Hammer or Amicus) and Saturday was a more classic Universal horror double-bill, like Dracula or Creature from the Black Lagoon. No version of these characters ever scared me as far as I recall, though I liked them a lot. Same goes for the 80s slasher characters. I loved them as movies, but never felt that dread the above gave me.

MM

That’s two of your four spaces picked…

I don’t tend to get scared as much by physical beings as I do by mood or suggestion, so it’s quite hard to pick four for this game. But I think the xenomorph from Alien has got to be up there, along with the Thing and Sadako Yamamura. My final choice would be Hannibal Lecter - not as scary as the first three, but perhaps the most iconic characters of modern horror.

I saw Exorcist when I was maybe 14. Saw it at a friend’s house during the day and then rode my bike home, in broad daylight on a beautiful summer day, terrified out of my mind.

As a kid though this would have been my Mt. Rushmore:

the clown from Poltergeist
the old man from Poltergeist 2 (even scarier as an adult and homeowner)
Freddy
Norman Bates

It’s a really dumb movie but I was scared of the killer in Wes Craven’s “Shocker” too. At the time I was babysitting a lot so movies about serial killers going into random houses freaked me out.