millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Your Favourite Creators and What Work Made You A Fan?

Definitely! These are great, Dave.

Planetary was my introduction to Ellis and Cassaday.

For Quitely, I had read one issue of Authority that looked pretty good but his New X-Men was what hooked me and prepped me for the magnificence of All-Star Superman. I would definitely pick up anything he put out.

Ultimates #1 was my first real experience with Hitch. I’m not sure why I’ve slept on his Hawkman. I need to give it a try at some point.

3 Likes

I tend to think that every piece of work I love, instantly makes me a fan of that person. But, if I could pick a few, that’d be…

-Jim Starlin. Casting his cosmic stuff aside, I am big fan of his Batman run. His monologues and dialogues are precise, resonant and really made me feel like I am inside Batman’s head. A primary reason why his take on Batman is my favorite run ever. And he got rid off Jason.

-Alan Moore. His work in comics field is well known and influential. And if I ever start writing comics, I know I’ll do scripts in his gigantic style as they seem the most resonant to my tastes.

-Mark Millar. I simply love various excesses and insanities he put in his work. Kick Ass, Nemesis, Kingsman, Red Son, Ultimates… Not to mention that being hard in today’s world to come up with something original, he does it with ease. Using pre-existing tropes, then twisting them into something mindblowing.

As for the artists, those are:

-Brian Bolland. For his kinda quirky, cartoonish, but painstakingly detailed art. And for definite look on Judge Dredd and Joker.

-Jim Lee. Miller’s shoddy writing aside in All Star Batman, I was instantly hooked on flamboyant, highly engrossing Lee’s visual (my first encounter with Lee, btw).

-Dave McKean. For his unique, expressionist art that seems to blend various techniques into something not so easy forgettable.

-Colin MacNeil Despite America not being one of my favorite Dredd’s stories, I was stunned by fully painted and yet, flawless artwork, from the characters to Mega City. Truly mindblowing.

3 Likes

Bryan Talbot.

I saw his work in 2000AD first but that wasn’t what made me a fan. Luther Arkwright made me a fan.

I can’t even remember which issue it was – it wasn’t #1, because it took years to finally source all the issues so I could read it chronologically. But a combination of the multiverse-spanning story and the art sold me on him. Very few artists are in his class when it comes to both fine-art-quality drawing and the ability to lay out a page to tell a story. In fact, for me, nobody is in his class. He’s the best of the best.

8 Likes

Oo, great choice! Luther Arkwright blew my mind when I first read it. I wish it was talked about more, it’s as good as any of the major grown-up comics from the 80s like Watchmen, DKR, and Love & Rockets. Just as challenging a use of the medium as well. Talbot’s a genius.

4 Likes

Millar is my favorite writer, but I’m not about to blow his ego on this forum (even though he’ll probably never read it). Suffice to say he’s adapatable to all kinds of genres, and knows how to create characters and structures stories like no-one else. He doesn’t need decompression, he doesn’t waste a panel or a word, he creates a world in his mind, lays it all out at once and then takes us through. He knows the symphony before he writes the first note, whereas everyone else feels like they’re improvising as they go along.

There’s four very special artists for me:

Frank Quitely. Simply put he makes you see the world differently. He’s one of the few who sees a comic not as a way to show you what the camera would see of what your eyes would see, but rather than your brain might see. I’ve met Vin a few times and visited his studio. I know when starting a page, any page, he thinks for hours. He’ll stare at it, he’ll to figure out ways to tell the story that you’d never imagine otherwise. He’s studied how some of the masters used the mechanism of the comic to bend reality. And he gives you pages like this:

Kevin Maguire. Had the pleasure of meeting Kevin too. He doesn’t draw comic characters, he draws people. No-one else does this, because faces are hard, but the guy can draw the same character with 20 different faces and you know what they’re thinking each time. He allows comic characters to act. Like actors. So he gives us panels like this:

Geof Darrow. Probably insane. Never saw an empty bit of paper he didn’t want to fill in. But throughout all his work he creates an amazing sense of movement. So every single bit of the comic is a visual feast that’s detailed, and exciting, and you get the sense that every background character, every building, every part of his world has a story attached to it. He’s amazing. and he gives us panels like this:

Geoff Senior. I can’t say he’s a really great artist, he’d been drawing robots most of his life because his people look a bit strange. He’s boxy, doesn’t really care about anatomy, and think he’d die if he had to draw two talking heads for 4 pages. He’s an explosion in the form of a comic artist. But when he draws you get this incredible sense of movement, a crackling energy that fits certain types of stories. You see punches land, you see the power of explosions, you feel the passion of the story. It’s not showy, it’s not clever, but it’s still the most dynamic art I’ve ever seen. Even simple panels crackle in ways most superhero books can’t touch, like this:

9 Likes

Hitch just ended his run on Hawkman. He did a tidy 12 issues so a tpb or an Omnibus should gather it all up.

Edit: Wow Geoff Darrow looks so much like Kevin Maguire. Its amazing

5 Likes

Andrea Sorrentino’s artwork on I, Vampire was phenomenal. I know most people overlooked this book when it came out, primarily because of those god awful covers on the first five or six issues. DC was really pushing this book to the Twilight crowd at that time, completely ignorant of what was going on inside. I mean, #1 opens with the titular character hunting down and brutally killing a host of newly turned vampires. It was pretty brutal for a mainstream DCU book.

You can see the clear Jae Lee influences there. If you placed that page next to a page of Lee’s art from the Dark Tower comics you would be hard pressed to tell them apart, right? But, the artwork was a great match for the tone of the book, and Joshua Hale Fialkov’s story was really compelling, so I continued reading.

Somewhere around the Justice League Dark crossover, however, Sorrentino’s artwork started to evolve. It was always good, but it quickly became the main reason I was buying the book.

Here’s a page from the #0 issue that was published a year after #1. It’s a beautiful image.

Sales on I, Vampire started to tank not long after this, and the book was rapidly heading towards the cancellation line. Not at all helped when DC unceremoniously pulled Sorrentino to work on Green Arrow with Lemire. The remaining few issues without him were painful to read, not because they were bad, but because they were a pale reflection of what the series was before his departure.

Thankfully, he came back to draw a few pages in the final issue, that provided closure on the book with a really clever twist that spun everything on its head.

Highly recommend the series for those of you who like vampire fiction. It was a great, under rated series.

But, Sorrentino’s artwork was the star here, and it’s where he became the knock out that he is today.

6 Likes

I hope you are checking out Sorrentino’s work on GIDEON FALLS at Image. Amazing stuff!!

2 Likes

Yes indeed.

1 Like

This is a great thread.

I’d love to contribute but I have so much to add to it that my head is buzzing like a nest of wasps and I don’t even know where to start…

2 Likes

Mark Millar came a bit later than my original favorites but he and Warren Ellis rekindled my passion for comics after it had died down a bit when X-books started to suck. Warren Ellis I forst took notice of when I saw the Watchmen homage cover of Stormwatch 44:

That comic struck a note and I picked up all of Ellis’s run later.

Then later I started following Millar when he took over Authority. Which also acquainted me with Quitely.

5 Likes

Thanks, man. Just pick one and go for it. I have dozens I want to get to too. It’s awesome reading everyone’s thoughts and opinions here. Very cool.

4 Likes

I just noticed that a lot of these Hawkman issues are in a digital sale on Comixology at the moment if you’re interested in checking them out.

1 Like