millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Your favorite single comic-book issue, and why

Similar to the “novel” thread, only your favorite comic or comic run.

If possible try to stick to one title. We’re all aware of what the great runs are, the classic runs are, the cult favorites, so we don’t need lists. Instead what is the ONE title that you feel is the greatest or that brought you the most joy or meant the most to you?

EDIT- I have to run to work, ha, someone else will have to go first.

EDIT2- I meant this to be for runs or titles but as so many people answered with single issues I switched the thread title. I don’t think I was clear in my OP.

Stray Bullets

This was actually a hard question. If we were talking about favorite issue, that’d be different. If it wasn’t just one run, it’d be different. But favorite singular comic? I don’t think anything I like goes above Stray Bullets at that point. It’s just a masterwork of black tragicomedy neo-noir with a 70’s early Coen’s crime flair. While it’s definitely going to be long, and might never actually end, each installment brings something new and entertaining to the table.

Grant Morrison’s JLA.

You responded less than a minute after I started the thread :slight_smile:

Yes, but I already know all my favorites.

One single issue. New Mutants #21.

Introduced me to the team (first NM book I read), to Chris Claremont’s family-drama sub genre of superheroes, and to Bill Sienkiewicz’ art, which, for anyone who doesn’t know my art, had a huge influence on everything I’ve done since. Doff of the cap to Marvel for that book.

27!

First thing that comes to mind is JLI #45.

It was one of my first American comics, growing up on a diet of the British stuff. And I still love this comic as it was different from anything done before. Superheroes were just people, doing normal people things. It moved the genre away from the typical action stuff and made them three dimensional. I know many people credit Watchmen as the comic that humanized superheroes, but Watchmen just made them assholes. JLI made them regular, with self confidence problems, weight problems, secret crushes, bullying and in this issue misplaced cruelty.

No punches thrown, no supervillain threat, no global emergency. Just a Guy, a girl, and a giant inflatable. I wish we had more comics like this. To me it’s clear it’s what we want as it’s this kind of thing, the small moments, that work best in the movies.

Detective Comics.

When I started reading it, way back when, it was by Alan Grant/ Norm Breyfogle - my favourite Batman run of all time!

Then Peter Milligan’s short, but fun run.

Chuck Dixon/ Graham Nolan

Greg Rucka (twice!)

Scott Snyder/ Jock/ Francavilla’a magnificent “Black Mirror”

And, then bang up to date with James Tynion’s fantastic run.

There have been runs that I haven’t enjoyed so much, but I’ve been buying this book longer than any other, and no other title has had this many awesome runs.

“The Return of Barry Allen,” The Flash #74-79

It’s hard to explain how crucially important this story was for me. I was actually just getting into reading comics regularly at the time, so it wasn’t about affection for Barry Allen or Wally West. It was how Mark Waid presented it. He had brought in Jay Garrick, the original Flash, Johnny Quick, and introduced Max Mercury, the “Zen Master of Speed,” three mentor figures who seemed to fill the void Barry had left, and yet Wally still rejoiced at the thought of Barry’s return…only to discover it was Eobard Thawne all along. There were certainly fans who longed for Barry’s return, which they couldn’t know at the time was some fifteen years in the future. And yet this was very much a Wally West story, that not only helped define him but Waid’s run on the title and really, his whole career (I don’t think he’s ever come close to his Flash material, except for Kingdom Come, and naturally Impulse).

But it wasn’t just Wally in this story, but Jay Garrick, and Johnny Quick, and Max Mercury. It made the Flash’s world feel real. He didn’t just have associates, or sidekicks, or allies, or teammates, or family, but people who completely understood him, who knew exactly what his powers meant to him. Each of them gave him guidance of one form or another, but it was really the mere fact of their existence that gave him credibility. A lot of fans think James Robinson invented that in the pages of Starman, but Waid made it feel organic. Jack Knight in a lot of ways became completely defined by the legacy behind him, but Wally became enriched. And “Return of Barry Allen” is the best way to experience it.

Boring and obvious, but my honest answer is Sandman. It suits almost any mood I’m in, whether it’s for horror, fantasy, history, character drama, formalism, etc. I’m just as inclined to sit and read a single issue I am to re-read the entire series.

This is the first comic I bought with my own money, the one that started me down this road that I’ve been following for almost 50 years now. The stories within are fairly mundane, but they engaged my imagination, accompanied by artwork from Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, and a young Barry Windsor-Smith. Because of what it represents, this is my single favorite comic book. And, yes, I still own it.

In the end, I think it’s Sandman for me, too. Alan Moore is a better writer and Grant Morrison’s work is more challenging and Maus is more important and so on… but Sandman has always been the most me comic book. It’s themes and motives and what it has to say about reality and fiction are all very close to my heart, and I suppose it’s the book that most is closest to how I see the world, and thus the one I love the most.

My answer to this will always be the same…

AOA: Weapon X, issue 2.

It was the first comic I bought (from a market stall in Felixstowe) and it showed me a totally different version of a character I had only come across via the X-Men cartoon.

Thankfully the market stall had the rest of the issues when I returned the next week.

There’s not really a title that consistently enjoyed over the years. I tend to hop around only following creators but I do have a favorite single issue.

Action Comics #775 - In an era when The Authority were reshaping what it meant to be a superhero and asking if our traditional heroes were really doing enough to protect and change the world around them, this was Superman’s answer. The story pits him against The Elite, a new brand of heroes not afraid to cross the line and an obvious pastiche of The Authority. It uses this to give a very clear answer to what Superman stands for and why he cannot cross the line. More philosophically, it gives an answer why doing the right thing is better than doing the easy thing even when it seems like it isn’t necessarily working. Doug Mahnke and Lee Bermejo perfectly convey the weight of Joe Kelly’s story with an incredible Tim Bradstreet cover. If you’ve never read it, I highly recommend it. It’s a classic done-in-one story.

I meant this thread to be for runs or titles but as so many people answered with single issues, I switched the thread title. I don’t think I was clear in my OP.

Hey! I played by the rules … rassum frassum …

My answer has changed then

THE PACT
It’s the best comic book ever written, drawn, inked, and colored. A tour de force of mythology, philosophy, and character driven backstories. The elegy for an age and the dawn of something spectacular. Jack Kirby’s prowess was never more felt than Izaya the Inheritor’s descent into The Conqueror! Nor more poignant than his rise into something better, something more, eternal as the Highfather. It’s just…touching and full of magnificence.

Your intention was clear, Robert, but I had a difficult time choosing a favorite comic book run, so I posted my single favorite issue instead.

Same here. It’s why I qualified my answer.

Favorite run: Promethea. With favorite single issue being #23 where they meet God. There is one two page spread which is just speech bubbles representing people’s prayers that made me cry.

I love how it is just Moore’s personal philosophy in comic form. Some people complained it is too “preachy” but I kinda like that, his passion for the subject shows in every issue.

And the art is just as brilliant.