millarworld.tv Comics Creators

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (SPOILERS)

Opens Wednesday in the most of the world, later in the week in the US.

The embargo is 1AM ET on Wednesday, a few hours before it opens, which isn’t a great sign.

3 Likes

I’m probably going to give this a miss at the cinema, which would be a first for the X-Men films for me. I didn’t like Apocalypse and the trailers for this look pretty dull.

4 Likes

I’m going to see it, because i’m really like the Fox’s X-Men franchise since 2000s, and (sadly) this is the last X-Men film to produced by Fox before Kevin Feige takes over.

I know some others won’t after Logan is their last X-Men film (which both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are one of the most important characters for the franchise).

3 Likes

Will this be the first X-Men film without a Wolverine appearance (well, if you count Hugh Jackman’s cardboard cut-out face in the first Deadpool)?

2 Likes

I was just going to say pretty sure he wasn’t in Apocalypse. Then I remembered how they shoehorned it in which was nonsense.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to it.
Some of the clips they’ve released have been decent enough, and I fully admit that I’m going to be giving it a whole lot of slack to start with given the circumstances behind its production.

But if it broaches Last Stand or Origins quality, I’ll call that out too.
Actually been re-watching the series to commemorate the release, and let me tell ya - those were dire.

3 Likes

Surely he wasn’t in Deadpool 2?

Yeah, Days of Future Past was on tv last night and the little of it that I saw still gave me the awesome feelings that I got the first time. Beast tackling Magneto to stop him from shooting Mystique, but he makes the gun float in front of him and is still able to fire. Mystique jumps out of the window and the bullet curves to follow her. Man, that movie is a top ten superhero film for sure (and the Rogue cut might even take it to the top five). I feel like people just remember the Quicksilver bit and then let their disappointment over Apocalypse cloud their judgement on this.

5 Likes

I actually really like Apocalypse, might be in my Top 5, or definitely #6. My only problems with it is that it’s so ungodly long (which has been a problem since X2 if we’re being honest) and that the Wolverine interlude is pointless and jarring. Even though we get some great beats out of it, like Quicksilver’s interactions with Mystique and Nightcrawler…and the New Recruit Trio making their way around Weapon X.I also love the incredible silliness of it. It reminds me much of The Wolverine - just insanely over the top but executed with some tact and skill. The series has fared much, much, worse is all I’m saying.

A statuette toy from LOGAN was in it.

1 Like

Likewise

Oh, for sure. My feelings are much the same. I haven’t seen it since the cinema though, but maybe Dark Phoenix will inspire me to?
My ticket is booked for Wednesday night all the same.

1 Like

My expectation for it right now are “around First Class” level. Like, kinda bad with enough going on to not be truly bad like X3 or Origins

Did you miss the post-credits scene?

1 Like

I still rank DoFP as one of the franchise’s best movies, if it’s any consolation.

6 Likes

I like DoFP a lot, but the final act isn’t great. The Sentinel stuff looks cool, but making Magneto the villain yet again felt lazy.

1 Like

A lot of it just feels like a retread of X2 at the end.
I think it comes off a little better in the Rogue Cut where there’s more of a defined undercurrent that Magneto betraying them was Old Magneto’s plan from the start - so when he lays dying and regretful with Prof. X there’s at least a good beat there for it all.

2 Likes

The ending to the movie is like a more emotional version of the end of the first volume of Millar’s Ultimate X-Men, so it’s hard for me to knock it.

1 Like

It’s directed by one of the producers of F4ntastic, how bad can it be?

1 Like

Usually the go-to is that he co-wrote X3.
And the clips they’ve released do look very standardly directed.

But, hey, he also wrote DOFP and Apocalypse which y’all have to admit is an upward move from X3. So I’m expecting light enjoyablity.

1 Like

Damp praise, but that’s still the best Fantastic Four movie.

2 Likes

Well.
Not surprising but deeply disappointing nonetheless.

52 02

4 Likes