millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Wrestling Thread (spoilers)

Gotcha. I’ve been watching it off and on while at work tonight.

Guess it was bound to happen.

Jim Ross doing commentary, randomly, for that match kinda led me to believe that.

Someone definitely had a good Wrestlemania:

Finally caught up on the weekend festivities. 2 1/2 hours of NXT, 2 hours of WrestleMania pre-show, 5 1/2 hours of WrestleMania, 3 hours of Raw, 2 hours of Smackdown, plus the Hall of Fame… sheesh!

Mania itself was quite peculiar. The crowd and the show itself seemed to peak with the Hardys return. Everything up until then had been at worst brief and inoffensive (Ambrose/Corbin, Battle Royal) and at best had greatly exceeded expectations (AJ/Shane). After that point everything felt incredibly drawn-out, plodding and unexciting, with the brief exception of Goldberg/Lesnar, which was perfectly booked for the direction they are going in.

It is astonishing that by next year, barring injuries or other unforeseen complications, Roman Reigns will have headlined four WrestleManias in a row. I think only Hulk Hogan has managed more than that.

Superstar Shake-Up time! That means a draft between Raw and Smackdown. Sort of. There’s no rhyme or reason behind it, they just had some Smackdown guys walk out on Raw as part of that roster now. Presumably the same will happen the other way around on Smackdown tonight.

Meanwhile, the following acts are now part of the Raw roster:

• Dean Ambrose and the Intercontinental Title (so presumably Kevin Owens and the US Title are going to Smackdown)

• The Miz and Maryse (guessing that Rusev and Lana can go the other direction)

• Alexa Bliss (sure seems like Charlotte is going to Smackdown in exchange)

• DAVID OTUNGA (with Byron Saxton on Smackdown)

• Bray Wyatt (to feud with Finn Balor over who has the better entrance, so Balor is staying put… and getting his face smashed in by Jinder Mahal)

• Curt Hawkins

• Kalisto (makes sense if the cruiserweight division is staying on Raw)

• Heath Slater & Rhyno

• Mickie James (it looked like they were setting up Dana Brooke to go to Smackdown as a solo babyface)

No AJ Styles to Raw, as had been rumoured, at least not yet.

Roman Reigns might wind up on Smackdown as Braun Strowman sure gave him a farewell beating on this show.

Sheamus & Cesaro seem likely to lose their babyface vs babyface title match against the Hardys and wind up on Smackdown. New Day as well, given they have nothing left to do on Raw.

They went to great lengths to stress that Seth Rollins is staying on Raw, as is Samoa Joe.

TBC on Smackdown tonight…

So the final results of the 2017 draft are:

Raw gets…
Dean Ambrose and the Intercontinental Title
Bray Wyatt
The Miz and Maryse
Kalisto
Apollo Crews
Curt Hawkins
Alexa Bliss
Mickie James
Heath Slater & Rhyno
David Otunga

Smackdown gets…
Kevin Owens and the United States Title
Sami Zayn
Rusev and Lana
Jinder Mahal
Sin Cara
Charlotte
Tamina
Big E Langston, Xavier Woods & Kofi Kingston
Primo & Epico
Byron Saxton

color me underwhelmed. The only moves that make sense in the big picture are Ambrose, Wyatt and KO.
KO should go for the world title at this point, though.
Too bad Mauro couldn’t have switched to Raw…problem solved.

The Mauro situation really sucks but I can’t imagine WWE letting him be the lead announcer on any live broadcasts again. In retrospect, I guess that was why they had Todd Philips as the silent fourth man at the Smackdown commentary table for several weeks. He could take over straightaway just in case of any issues with Mauro and JBL.

Of course, why JBL continues to evade any sort of retribution or at the very least sensitivity training or being put on probation eludes me. Well, the reason is Vince McMahon, of course. But Bradshaw hazing/bullying guys as a twenty-something in the nineties working for a wrestling promotion is one thing. Doing similar things as a forty-something businessman in a publicly traded corporation is a whole other level of inappropriateness.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/triple-h-reportedly-frustrated-with-vince-mcmahon-39-s-handling-of-former-nxt-stars

Sami Zayn should be the new Daniel Bryan at this point, but he’s barely causing a whimper.

WWE Great Balls Of Fire 2017: Brock Lesnar Destroying Samoa Joe And 5 Bad Booking Decisions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/blakeoestriecher/2017/07/06/wwe-great-balls-of-fire-2017-brock-lesnar-destroying-samoa-joe-and-5-bad-booking-decisions/#7031d9515050

5 Signs WWE Could Soon Lose John Cena For Good

1. He’s been cast as the re-boot Captain America.
  2. He’s been cast as Superior.
  3. He’s been cast as Shazam.
  4. He’s been cast as whoever the hell else we’re fantasizing about this week.
  5. (the most likely one) Meryl Streep has other work and they can’t find anyone else to play him convincingly.

1. They try to upgrade his operating system and it winds up going horribly wrong and getting hacked by the Russians.

as long as the Rock keeps popping into the WWE, it will also never lose Cena. Because Cena will never ever ever ever be as successful as Dwayne.

edit: I actually think Miz is more talented than Cena as well.

In the one acting job I caught Miz in (a TV Christmas movie), he was absolutely terrible. He’s more entertaining, these days, in WWE, certainly. Cena has caught the Orton bug of operating on autopilot, although the Viper is more capable of finding motivation for occasionally being interesting.