millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Wonder Woman Movie Official Thread

Cameron has tacitly endorsed every Terminator film that has come out after T2, only to rubbish each of them later.

It’s getting to be such a tradition that I’d be disappointed if he didn’t do it for Genisys.

Which makes his endorsements/rubbishments of films super reliable to me. :wink:

That’s all part of the game, of course.

I like the fact that he’s nice enough to give Arnold the benefit of his false praise, anyway. He could do a lot more damage (and get a lot more coverage) if he chose to offer a ruder response to people who have run his franchise into the ground.

But he does both. He gets the benefit of being the good guy up front and then the thrill of thrashing it later. Honestly, it’s one of the reasons I don’t really respect his opinion on other films especially ones that competed directly with his at the box office. :wink:

I am not saying Cameron doesn’t have a right to his opinion. And he did make Aliens and T2…but he is also the guy who made True Lies as well.

You mean two sequels to classics and then one original movie?
I mean, it’s hard to see which is meant to be the “bad” side here :wink:

As in he made two genuinely good movies and one movie that has a really creepy attitude to women, with a scene where a man (Arnie) coerces a woman into stripping for his own gratification. I find True Lies troubling.

I found it boring. The Abyss may be his only box office miss but True Lies is always the least memorable.

I liked True Lies (apart from Tom Arnold) and watched it quite a bit when I was younger. I haven’t seen it for years, though.

The Sixth Day is better.

Arnie’s character doesn’t know his own wife. He doesn’t know her hopes and dreams and he doesn’t notice her anymore It’s pretty clear they don’t have much of a sex life.

That scene is meant to be about how he finally sees her again. It starts out with him still being an asshole but it ends, or is intended to end, with him realising he’s been wrong.

But I agree it doesn’t really work. It’s too creepy a premise to work.

NB. This is not true.

Patty Jenkins has responded saying “there is no right or wrong kind of powerful woman”.
She pointed out the film’s “massive female audience who made the film a hit… can surely choose and judge their own icons of progress.”

"If women always have to be hard, tough and troubled to be strong, and we aren’t free to be multidimensional or celebrate an icon of women everywhere because she is attractive and loving, then we haven’t come very far have we.
"I believe women can and should be EVERYTHING just like male lead characters should be."
And she admitted she wasn’t surprised by his reaction.
“James Cameron’s inability to understand what Wonder Woman is, or stands for, to women all over the world is unsurprising as, though he is a great film maker he is not a woman.”

"If women always have to be hard, tough and troubled to be strong, and we aren’t free to be multidimensional or celebrate an icon of women everywhere because she is attractive and loving, then we haven’t come very far have we.

I’m assuming she’s well aware that this is exactly the reason William Moulton Marston created the character.

Correct, it is dreadful.

One Arnie movie (from late in his heyday) that I never actually saw was End of Days.

Part of me wants to go back and finally watch it for completionist reasons, but part of me knows that probably isn’t a good use of my time. :slight_smile:

“Hmmm. It’s going to take three or four years to make another dozen Avatars, How to keep my name in high profile until then? Hmmm.”

I think those numbers might be the wrong way around.

End of Days is great.
Sixth Day is pretty bad, but it’s wonderfully bad. I maintain that “Enough Philosophy” is Arnie’s best quote.