millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Wonder Woman Movie Official Thread

Nope.

I think the closest they get is the ‘WW’ reference on the e-mail with the details of the other superheroes in BvS.

Just saw it. Gadot and Pine were fantastic They both played their roles to near perfection. people are talking about tropes and cliches but they did such a good job those issues were just glossed over. She had such presence it was believable that she was a goddess among men.

I know there is a debate about who is or is not a movie star but Chris Pine is one but his stardom is defined by his performances. Kirk, Trevor, and his character in Hell or High Water all are masterful. He does what he likes though does not need unanimous acclaim to feel like a success. I get the feeling that he does not care if his name is above the title.

I was amused by finding out who the writer was. All this hoopla about a film by women for women and I come to find out it was written by a man and that man actually wrote a wonder woman comic book.

Overall, a very well done and enjoyable film that deserves the success it is getting

Aye. i think he also wrote a nonfiction WW book.
Plus I think it helps in writing Steve.

I think the hoopla is about the director because she controls the gaze and frames the story. Hearing Jenkins talk about why she fought for certain scenes is interesting in how she wanted Wonder Woman to be framed.

EDIT: I think this has more of Jenkins story about “No Man’s Land.”

Just saw it. Loved it. I had no real history or love for the character going in, but Gal and Patty won me over huge.

Pine was perfectly cast and perfectly played. This was GG’s movie, make no mistake, and Pine played his part exceptionally. The supporting players were all also very well played and each person had their nice little character moments.

The fight scenes were really well done - graceful and brutal. In particular the first one (soldiers vs amazons).

Gal COMPLETLY has me head over heels - it’s impossible to not fall in love with her. Her Diana is tough, compassionate, curious, naive, and courageous. This is the BEST female hero live adaptation I’ve seen yet.

By now, we get it - Marvel has the flawed heroes and DC has the God-like archetypes - and this is the first time I can see a DCEU character being someone that I would be ok with my kids wanting to be like when they grow up.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-wonder-woman-amazons-20170602-htmlstory.html

Steve Trevor set a new standard for superhero movie love interest characters.

An opinion on that and what can be learned from it;

–SNIP–

Pine’s Steve Trevor is the best superhero love interest to date — which isn’t saying much, given the history of male-driven, plot-by-numbers blockbusters that treat “hot companion” as one component among many. Trevor is also, obviously, the first male love interest, which is almost certainly related. In a culture where men are granted fuller personhood than women, does Steve Trevor automatically get the chance to be as complete as he is, simply by virtue of being a dude? Of course. Is it fair? No. But superhero movies don’t actually have to reduce their secondary characters, and Trevor is living proof.

–SNIP–

That the first male iteration of the part would also be the best was probably inevitable. But there’s nothing intrinsically masculine about comedy or a complete narrative arc, just like there’s nothing intrinsically feminine about sex appeal. Male-led superhero movies are going to outnumber female-led ones for the foreseeable future, give or take a Captain Marvel. That doesn’t mean female characters have to stay relatively flat. Ironically, it just took a man to prove it.

The banter between Steve and Diana in the boat scene was all ad-libbed: https://twitter.com/haarleyquin/status/872839188403695616/photo/1

Austin has a pretty awesome Wonder Woman connection. The actress who plays Artemis is a boxer and has a gym here in town.

I saw this yesterday and thought there was a lot to like about it; Gal Gadot pulled off a definitive WW that can go alongside the likes of Hugh Jackman, RDJ, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Christopher Reeve in terms of completely nailing an already iconic character. For all those characters, I was pretty familiar with them from the comics before their respective films (apart from Christopher Reeve, obv), but now I have the actors’ voices in my head whenever I read those characters; I think that’ll probably be how it is with Wonder Woman from now on. The WWI setting was executed perfectly, it was central to the plot of the film, and it showed the grimness of it without feeling exploitative. Some of the scenes in France are the most grounded and realistic of any superhero film there is, and the film pulls it off without ever going po-faced or overly serious. For the main meat of the film there’s an incredible balance of high fantasy and real world, and that really effectively gave me a sense of the “gods walk amongst us” theme that a lot of superhero films shoot for. Patty Jenkins deserves enormous credit for that.

The friendly side characters in the real world all feel very well utilised with not very many lines. Spud in particular was brilliant, but I also found that Dawn worked really well as a character that could’ve easily felt too silly (soz, idk the actors’ names, just the names of their respective cult favourite on screen portrayals from 10+ year ago). Chris Pine had fantastic chemistry with Gal Gadot, and I found him a lot more likeable than in Star Trek. I’ll echo what others have said about how well his character was utilised being a bit of a damning indictment on how rubbish the superhero love interest usually is. Compare him with Peggy Carter in The First Avenger, and that film seems like a relic from a different era. Speaking of relics from a different era; I definitely feel like the bluster about this film being a big feminist triumph and an important turning point for the big screen is very misplaced. What it actually is, is a genre with a pretty glaring gender problem finally taking very very long overdue steps out of The Android’s Dungeon. Cinema has been putting high-profile female action leads out there in increasing number every year since superheroes really lifted off with X-Men and Raimi’s Spider-Man; but while Brave, The Hunger Games, Star Wars VII, Ghostbusters,and Moana have all shown that the sausage fest winding down, superheroes didn’t get that memo.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post about was how badly the beginning and end sections let the film down. Steve crashing on Themyscira until David Thewlis turning into rejected Megadeath album artwork was bloody brilliant, but before and afterwards was clunky af (although I do have to give it up for Chris Pine’s performance for those close-ups in the plane, marvelous). I was convinced I was in for a rough ride for lot of the beginning section; maybe that Paris opening meant something to those brave souls who sat through BvS, but it just felt stupid and unwieldy to me, that should have been all at the end. Then kid Diana scenes were just far too much of an exposition dump, just get the broad character beats of Diana and Hypollita drilled in at the beginning, and then deliver a much leaner version of the mythology when Steve shows up. Then the end boss fight with metal David Thewlis just felt like we’d switched to a different film, boring generic beat-em-up blockbuster fare. Celebrations in London which followed were nice, but then we’re right back to modern day Paris and what has she been up to in the intervening period, and why only now does she come out of retirement? It felt like it utterly undermined the Diana from the wonderful No Man’s Land sequence, who never turned her back on a fight to help those in need. And where’s she jumping to? She’s going to drop right in the Seine at that rate.

Same thoughts.

According to Box Office Mojo, Wonder Woman only dropped 45% in its second weekend, and is now at $205M domestic, $435M worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm

Now up at HR. There are a couple of connected articles.

That was my reading of it, too. Steve’s “I love you” isn’t what made Diana fight for humanity at the end – if it was, that would have been a great disservice to her character and pretty much wrecked any messages the film was trying to put over. Instead it was his selflessness that convinced her that there was something in humans still worth fighting for, at a point where she had seen enough to know that there was no “good” side in the war. It’s his act and her realisation that gives the ending a note of hope (tempered by the audience knowing that the tragedy of the war is nowhere near over, and that Ares may have been right after all).

I think I love Dave’s post :slight_smile:

Thank gods :grimacing:

Ya. It reminded me a bit of the end of Fifth Element where the connection with the one person and their selflessness, finding good in the species, was what made her save the world.

:confused:

No… No. It was all because of the multipass.

Similarly, Wonder Woman was inspired to save the world by a watch.

Aye. As an immortal, the watch is a very blunt plot device, amazingly blunt which is just how I love my comic movies, for how we can’t waste time and giving up is just another name for not using what we time we do have.