millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Why is Deadpool such a big hit?

Simple question, I’m interested in theories. This movie has far exceeded all expectations, and looks to be one of the biggest superhero movie openings ever. For a character that most regular folks never heard off the accomplishments of this movie is amazing.

So what was it they did that made it such a hit? Was it the marketing? The concept? The good reviews? The online presence? The cast? Or something else entirely?

I ask the MW collective because I’d bet even the guys at Fox have no idea how this happened.

I think it’s a combination of things: a strong vision for the character, some very smart (and funny) marketing, and excellent reviews and word of mouth.

Not to mention the timing: it feels like the perfect time for a movie to come along and puncture the superhero genre, especially with the big superhero movies taking themselves a bit too seriously these days. The superhero subversiveness of Deadpool works today in a way that it wouldn’t (couldn’t?) have done ten or even five years ago.

I think the unrelenting, enthusiastic campaign has helped and Reynolds is a huge part of that. I really hope he’s getting a percentage as you can tell he’s put his all into it.

Yeah, definitely this. Most movie promotion is such a boring treadmill it can’t help but show through in interviews most of the time, but Reynolds has clearly been having a ball.

Reynolds was one of the executive producers for the movie.

I also think the fact it’s got Marvel slapped across the front of it helps too. I really don’t believe “superhero fatigue” exists for average members of the cinema going public and the Marvel brand is generally seen as a sign of a fun evening at the cinema (the fact this isn’t a MCU movie doesn’t matter either - again I reckon a lot of average cinema punters don’t know that this is a “different” Marvel from Cap, Iron Man, et al).

I would say all of the above. It was a funny movie with great performances. The marketing got the people interested and most importantly, the movie delivered.

I also wonder if people were looking for a good R-rated comedy. Good ones are very rare and the fact that it’s a “superhero” movie is just gravy. I think the R-rating actually helped because it lets you know this is not a kids movie. I think there is a waiting market for mature movies, especially comedies, that don’t have to scale down for younger audiences. While DP’s humor is juvenile at times, it doesn’t hold back at all. I think a movie of this nature is what audiences have been looking for and DP just happened to fit the bill.

It also doesn’t hurt that women turned out in droves and liked it, especially on a Valentines Day weekend. That is a huge factor.

Two separate theories:

1. They noted the Millar/Vaughn success with a raunchy genre action-comedy on Valentine’s Day, repeated it with the Marvel and X-Men brand, Rob Liefeld designs, and a huge marketing push by Reynolds.

2. This is an R-rated version of the Spider-Man movie that everyone’s wanted but Sony’s heads are too far up their asses to realize this.

Plain and simple it was FUN. Somewhere along the way producers have decided that superhero movies have to be dark and heavy in order to be taken seriously, but the main reason most of us started reading comics in the first place is because they were escapist fun. That has to be an ingredient (along with the fantastic spectacle) for a film in the genre to capture hearts and minds.

Also, while not really showcasing a lead female role, it’s been (from what Iv’e read at least) pretty popular with women. Strangely enough, the movie actually IS a pretty good love comedy flick and a rather good Valentine’s Day choice for the younger/edgier folks.

I might be extrapolating the wrong conclusions here, but I think having the explicit but quite honest and heartfelt sex scenes helped a lot. I think Reynolds and Baccarin really sold their relationship very well, you really believed them and rooted for them as a couple and a as love story in general terms, giving it a lot of emotional weight under the whole slapstick and gore-ish mayhem.

Plus there’s the rest people have mentioned, it was fun, had excellent marketing and to put it simply, it’s one of those movies where EVERYONE involved seems to have given their 100%… that vibe can bleed into the actual movie and people will notice it.

I’m with Polo.

It’s like Avengers versus Age of Ultron. Most of the humor in Avengers felt fairly natural to the characters. It felt more manufactured in AoU. Deadpool seems to have that necessary ragged edge, self-aware and not necessarily approving! With the onslaught of so very much good cape entertainment, it was indeed excellent timing to rip the genre to shreds - but from the inside, with understanding, not the campy crap that outsiders consider “satire”, but the genuinely funny and quite rude stuff comics fans appreciate.

Plus a smorgasbord of attractive people, something from the buffet. That tends to help. And violence. A hefty dose of violence.

It’s catharsis.

I’ve not seen the film so can comment on how this scene fits into the movie but I really don’t think it’s helped get bums on cinema seats as I’d no idea it was in the movie. Nothing in the advertising about the film really hints that there’s anything as weighty as this in the movie either and you’d only know about it after having seen the film.

I think with Deadpool it’s a very specific combination. His appeal has always been a shock to people writing cheques, even at Marvel.

Here’s the combination from the ground up.

Ground Floor/ He looks cool and has swords and guns. Plus he’s indestructible, but he still feels pain… Realism (as far as superheroes go).

1st Floor/ This is built on with a tragic back story and a man who’s good at heart, but nobody expects him to be.

2nd Floor/ So the character is actually quite rounded (for a comic book character) and when he doesn’t take stuff seriously, even with the tragic background, this brings respect from the audience.

3rd Floor/ Adding to this by having him break the fourth wall puts the audience firmly on his side and closer to him than any other character.

4th Floor/ So now you have a character that is likeable for most of the audience, which means its core fanbase will be very strong and resolutely die-hard.

5th Floor/ By actually upping the maturity levels in terms of the character for the screen, this hardcore fanbase has not only been vindicated for their love of something that, for most, was deemed childish growing up, but also given them something to share with other adults who see and share all of this sort of R rated content on the internet, daily.

6th Floor/ The marketing has used this fact to its fullest advantage which meant between advertising and core audience, it would definitely have made bank, even if it wasn’t very good.

Penthouse/ It’s a great movie. Most at the moment, we can all agree, just get two hours in and rarely excel. The ones that do are made with the most love and attention of those creating them. The Deadpool Four have been working on this for years and the script, direction and acting was pitch perfect because it’s been worked on so hard for so long. Genre fans across the board have been rooting for it more than anything else because it’s not only the type of movie we want, but also the type we could never see studios backing without ruining it through interference. It seems we aren’t the only ones, and people respond to good movies full stop.

(Dead)Pool on the Roof/ Us oldsters forget that our generation shaped the personality of the internet. In turn the internet and it’s humour seems to have shaped Deadpool’s personality over the past 25 years. Deadpool is a walking, talking product of how we view the world on a daily basis now. As a character, anyone who’s spent any decent amount of time online will get on board with Deadpool on a level that you don’t get in normal films. He is an idiot, he is cool, he is funny, he is irreverent, he is selfish, he is kind, he’s tired of it, he loves it, he’s sarcastic and cynical and hopeful and loving and he’s full of shit. He is literally our voice within that pop-culture world.

He also has a key of coke in his basement, probably next to an NES and a poster of The Golden Girls.

Why I think it done well IMO:

1. They weren’t really afraid of making him look like the comics.
2. It felt like it had a sense of freedom, it didn’t care about continuity(It even joked about the confusing Xmen timeline), it cared more about telling a singular story.
3. Colossus wasn’t a background character anymore like in the X movies, he even had the armor lines on his skin just like the comics.
4. Some of the Xmen stared in the movie in a very smooth fashion, it’s not like most other Marvel movies like say Thor 2 where no other hero comes to help.
Those are just my reasons.

It seems like a genuinely funny film, inspiring laughing out loud as opposed to the sensible chuckles of every other superhero movie.

7 Reasons Ryan Reynolds’ ‘Deadpool’ Shocked Hollywood and Made Box-Office History

I think most if not all the people involved in this movie were very passionate when doing the movie. And if all of them are passionate, from the actor to the director to the staff, that makes a recipe for success. For me, that made deadpool a huge hit. Plus he’s a very fun character to watch.

For me, it was the masturbation jokes. That’s probably what sent it over the top.

Hum I didn’t catch all of that… but I meant that the sex scenes added a lot of character to the couple beyond simple titlation, which would be reflected in the overall apreciation of the movie and therefore also be reflected in the word of mouth. It wasn’t one of those “forced” couples generally seen in this kind of movies… they had a lot of chemestry together and the sex scenes helped in that. I mean, sex IS a very important part of a relationship, no? People can feel related to that… Specially in a Valentine’s weekend setting =P

Because its actually funny.