millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Who owns the movie rights to The Hulk?

This is really interesting. I didn’t actually know a lot of these details. Universal has the rights to Sub-Mariner btw and a great screenplay in there by David Self.

MM

Yeah, the complicated rights issues around the Hulk came out recently when Ruffalo talked about the prospects of a solo Hulk movie under the current setup. It sounds like a real tangle. It will be interesting to see if it gets resolved, or if Marvel even have any interest in sorting it out at this point.

Self also wrote a screenplay for Deathlok, and I believe, wrote treatments for Nighthawk and Cloak and Dagger circa 2000-2005?

I think Marvel hired him to adapt some of their lesser known properties to screen.

I think it’s a bit of a moot point where Hulk in concerned. The character worked great in ‘Avengers’ and fine in ‘AoU’ but they’ve had their go at the solo movie and Universal did their version and neither was really amazing (or incredible).

Disney bought Marvel to gain access to hundreds of characters. Hulk can stay a guest star in other people’s films. That’s probably where he’s going to do the most good anyway.

Whedon more or less said the same thing - that the very idea of a Jekyll and Hyde story demands one of the personalities to be resolved and you obviously can never do that with the Hulk.

Still, I think a great Hulk movie is out there somewhere. It’d have to be something like Planet Hulk or Future Imperfect to work though – Hulk somewhere strange fighting to return to normality.

I had hoped that him going off at the end of Age of Ultron would have been the set up for Planet Hulk. I don’t think there would have been much room for Ruffalo in that film though.

Well Ruffalo does mocap the Hulk, so he’s as involved in the character as Andy Serkis was with Golum.

But as I said, I’m not sure the version of the Hulk that’s clicked with people (he’s a dick) would support a film, and if they humanize that too much then people will lose interest.

I think that was part of the problem with ‘AoU’. The whole subplot with Bruce and Natasha diminished the Hulk.