millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Who are your comic creator heroes?

I’m a massive Gail Simone fan. It was her Birds of Prey run that got me back into comics after a long absence. I’ve followed her work for years and I’ve been an active member of her forums for years. I finally got to meet her at Glasgow Comic Con in 2014 and she was ever bit as amazing as I expected. Really funny, very clever and always has something interesting to say.

I also really like Dan Slott, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. Larime Taylor has an amazing story and his rise as a comic creator is incredible. Larime is disabled, is a full time wheelchair user and has virtually no use of his arms and legs. He draws comics with his mouth with a Wacom tablet and is also a very talented writer. A really inspirational guy.

I’ll have to look up Larime Taylor’s work.

For me, the obvious answer is Grant Morrison. He made it OK to like weird superheroes again when everyone else was doing grim non-powered urban vigilantes. Pete Milligan’s up there too. Shade, Doom Patrol and Zenith were much needed at the time.

The more interesting answer is Steve Gerber.
He was writing this kind of weird shit way before, back in the 1970s, when comics were just cheap pulp fiction for kids. I am forever grateful for the fact that he didn’t talk down to his audience, but gave us complicated muddled bizarre storylines like:

Guardians of the Galaxy - Vance Astro’s mind ends up in a humanoid planet after a nervous breakdown. Nikki astrally projects thanks to some kind of space buddha cult and they save the day basically by shagging each other at planetary scale (in a PG sense).

Defenders - Nighthawk’s brain gets cut out by the Headmen and sits in a petri dish, only he doesn’t realise this, and has some strange disembodied hallucinations…

Dardevil - teams up with Moondragon to fight “Mordecai Jones, the Dark Messiah” a manufactured cult leader with psychic powers, and Angarr the Screamer, a hippy with a hallucinogenic scream.

Gerber never said “this isn’t suitable for kids” and watered his work down, and it was brilliant. My 8-10 year old self lapped up his strange mix of psychedelia and world’weary cynicism. I wasn’t in the habit of checking writer credits at the time, but looking back, most of the good stuff from my childhood was down to one guy.

Larime Taylor is really known only for A Voice In The Dark, a book he created and did two runs of for Image,

He has a book based on a licensed property coming out.

His wife Sylv is in very poor health. She is legally blind but has enough vision to be able to do cover colouring with zoomed in images.

She was recovering from cancer but sadly, they recently found some nodules in her abdomen and she will be getting further treatment.

By luck and God’s blessings I know a bunch of creators. I find them each to be extremely human, Just a few, then.

• Mark Millar. Not just because this is his site, but I consider him brilliant in the business end of comics, a very good person and important in how comics and films came together. This before the main onslaught of MW films hit!

• Jim Kreuger. A solid friend, a fine writer, a great dad, only wish I visited L.A. more so we could hit films at the Aero or wherever. Along with Jim, connections to Alex Ross, Doug Braithwaite and a passel of others.

• Mike Moorcock. Not so many comics, but very influential, still working, and a great guy.

• Neal Adams. The boy can draw!

• Wagner and Ezquerra, due to my recent Judge Dredd obsessions.

• Curt Swan. The boy can draw!

• Bryan Hitch. The boy can draw! And write, too. :pouting_cat:

• Kurt Busiek. I would be perfectly happy living in Astro City. Also, baseball.

• Stephen King, A writing mentor and a major entertainer. Also, baseball.

• Frank Miller. Even with misfires, he rocks!

• Frank Quitely. Favorite artist working. Like Nick Pitarra, too, and Nick’s a huge Quitely fan and collector.

• Nicola Scott. Local gal makes good. Watch out for Black Magick!

So many local yokels from MillarWorld who have made pro! Nicola, Declan Shalvey, Russell, Drew Edwards, Carlos Pedro, and so many others. It takes so much work to make it anywhere in the entertainment industry, at any level at all, that those who do certainly meet this definition of “hero”.

:smile_cat:

Stan Lee, for promoting ideas like character development and shared universes and continuity that weren’t predominant in previous superhero comics.

Jack Kirby, for his work ethic and his sheer visual genius.

Will Eisner, for attempting to show the advantages of this medium over others.

Neal Adams (60s and 70s Neal, that is), for bringing realism to comic book art.

Jim Steranko, for experimenting with the format of comics and attempting to improve the quality of the medium.

Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, for presenting comics as literary works of art.

The Image guys, for establishing a strong alternative to the Big Two (with kudos to Dark Horse for providing proof that indies could succeed).

Erik Larsen in particular for single-handedly writing and drawing Savage Dragon for over 20 years, and for having his characters grow and age in real time over those decades.

Mike Mignola, because…Mike Mignola.

The guys who have been drawing my stories are my heroes.
I know that sounds like a real Douche thing to say, but its true.
Seeing the weird crazy stuff and immature jokes that pop out of my head come to life makes me feel so humble and incredibly privileged.
Those guys are my unsung heroes.
Cris Canfailla
Phil Buckenham
Aleksandar Bozic
Eder Massiah

You guys rule!

Thank you!

If you are talking about people who got me hooked on comics, No.1 would be George Perez. His Avengers(circa #150 in first series), JLA, and Teen Titans were my favorites. No.2 would be John Byrne’s Xmen. and 3 would be Mike Grell’s Legion. writer wise it would be the writers on those books. I think that would be Jim Shooter, Marv Wolfman, and Chris Claremont.

My list is too long to bore anyone with and generally it’s a list of no-brainer superstars that everyone else will list anyway.

Nobody’s mentioned Wallace Wood yet though. So there you go.

John Wagner
Alan Grant
Pat Mills
Carlos Ezquerra
Brian Bolland
Grant Morrisson
Peter Milligan
Alan Moore
Gareth Ennis
Simon Bisley

Still missed.

I’ll be controversial and say Bendis. When he was good, he was really good, and without him I would probably have never read comics beyond a handful in my teenage years.

I don’t think that’s too controversial. I think even if someone doesn’t like his work they have to admire the sheer volume of books he’s put out and the amount of time he handled the flagship Avengers title and Marvel U in general.

no you don’t