millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Where is the Superior movie 😪

SUPERIOR was and probably still is my most anticipate Millarworld film. Anyone know where it’s at , at the moment?

It’'s in theatres … in Dave Lizewski’s world.

double feature with The Spirit 3 :wink:

It went to live on a farm with all those movies Stan Lee used to talk about in his Soapbox.

This reminds me a bit of the aborted John August SHAZAM! script:

http://johnaugust.com/2009/shazam-done

Captain Marvel is a superhero roughly as powerful as Superman, minus the heat-vision and cold breath. What’s unique about the character is that in ordinary life, he’s teenager Billy Batson. Speaking the name of the wizard who gave him his powers (Shazam) calls down a magic thunderbolt, transforming him into the studly superhero. But he’s still a teenager in there.

If this to you sounds, “Like Big, but with superpowers,” then congratulations! You now understand Hollywood.

When the strike was over, Shazam! was suddenly a Warner Bros. movie.1 The new executive at Warners said he agreed with the New Line notes, and told the producers I should go ahead with my rewrite. We weren’t on the official production schedule, but there were discussions about budgets and timelines. We were definitely Pete Segal’s next movie, and many of the stories coming out of the press junkets for Get Smart were about Shazam.

When we turned the new draft in to the studio, we got a reaction that made me wonder if anyone at Warners had actually read previous drafts or the associated notes. The studio felt the movie played too young. They wanted edgier. They wanted Billy to be older. They wanted Black Adam to appear much earlier.

In retrospect, I can point to two summer Warner Bros. movies that I believe defined the real issue at hand: Speed Racer and The Dark Knight. The first flopped; the second triumphed. Given only those two examples, one can understand why a studio might wish for their movies to be more like the latter. But to do so ignores the success of Iron Man, which spent most of its running time as a comedic origin story, and the even more pertinent example of WB’s own Harry Potter series. I tried to make this case, to no avail.

Ironically, I think SUPERIOR is much more like “BIG with superpowers” than SHAZAM! and, at the same time, it is also edgier than Shazam with all the demonic stuff that’s involved and the serious MS storyline.