millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What's everyone up to creator-wise?

I see a lot of the same names out on the community forum as regular contributors to almost every discussion board and it got me to wondering about what everyone might be working on currently; writer, drawer, inker, etc-wise… Not necessarily for critique but more for an appreciation of each other’s efforts as we continue to try to make the draft into the BIG show…

I’ll start… Here’s a few illustrated pages from my current, work-in-progress GN titled “Denizen”. It’s an urban-myth book centered in N.Y.C. Along with the first few finished pages of art, I’ve included several written pages from Chapter one. I also threw in the six, completed chapter, cover illustrations for folks to check out and a painted pinup of the titular character with the book’s logo as well. I encourage folks to participate and I look forward to seeing anyone’s and everyone’s work.

Mike

Michael Ernest Nichols
Millarworld username: menichols
michael.e.nichols@gmail.com

Denizen: Chapter 1 Synopsis
A brutal employee at a senior residential center is torturing ninety-nine-year-old Artie Haskins. The old man makes a desperate bid for his life by trying to convince the attendant that he has intimate knowledge of and affiliation to, a shadowy, crime-fighting, urban legend called the “Denizen” who will intercede if he does not stop. Amused by the old man’s ploy, the employee insists he back up his claim by offering any proof of such a figure. Under duress Artie agrees and with that he begins to tell his story.

Denizen: Chapter 1

Page 1 (2 Panels)

Panel 1: Opening shot is present day on a windy, leaf-blown October eve. An ambulance is making its way through the streets of N.Y.C.

Panel 2: The ambulance passes in front of grounds surrounded by a high stonewall topped with iron bars. Someone unidentified watches the ambulance’s passage while hiding behind the curtain of an upper story window located inside the fence line.

Page 2 (7 Panels)

Panel 1: The ambulance turns into the stone entryway of a dilapidated, senior care facility
known as Gracey Hall, nestled somewhere in New York City’s Bronx borough. There’s
a bronze banner over the front gate depicting the facilities name. It has graffiti sprayed
over it. The words “Greasy Stall” replaces Gracey Hall.

Panels 2-6: These four panels should be of interior and exterior action about the
ambulance (e.g.- close up of the darkened vehicle interior as it comes through the gate,
close-up of clenched, white-knuckled patient hand on gurney bed rail, various pics of the
patient being wheeled into the building (that sort of thing)). The panels are small,
scattered around a larger center panel, (panel 7) which depicts the ambulance driver
emerging with his passenger.

Panel 7: The ambulance is parked in front of the residence. Its headlamps are off. The rear doors to the ambulance are open. Light from its bay spills out. The ambulance driver is carting an injured, elderly man seated in a wheelchair (Arthur (Artie) Haskins, age ninety-nine, resident of Gracey Hall) down the ramp. The grounds show a degree of age and disrepair.

Page 3 (4 Panels)

Panel 1: The old man is being wheeled down a corridor shrouded in darkness. No light escapes from the bottom of the doors that dot the hallway walls. All the residents are tucked in for the night. At the corridor’s end is a luminous rectangle of light. In that rectangle stands a huge figure wearing an I-pod with earphones. His hands are in his pockets and he’s quietly whistling to himself. He should be backlit so that his face and front are darkened out (more menacing). The old man remains slumped in his wheelchair (this is the title and credits panel for issue #1).

1. SFX (MUSICAL BARS/MAN WHISTLING)

Panel 2: The ambulance driver has reached the corridors end. The shot is viewed from
some distance. The driver is speaking to the large man. The conversation is low and
fractured. Only pieces of it should be audible.

2. DRIVER (LOW): INSISTED TONIGHT… DUNNO… STUBBORN I GUESS.

Panel 3: Single close up head on shot of Artie. He wears a pained and wearied look.

Panel 4: The shot is from above and behind the huge man (Darryl, age forty-four,
attendant at Gracey Hall for the past twenty-four years). The ambulance driver (short,
muscular man) and Artie are in front of him. Darryl holds a clipboard in his hands. The
I-pod earphones are now around his neck. Strained lyrics to Nirvana’s “Smells Like
Teen Spirit” is heard from them. Darryl shuts off the I-pod.

3. SFX (HEADPHONES): AN ALBINO… A MULATTO… A MOSQUITO… MY LIBI… CLICK

4. DARRYL: I’LL TAKE IT FROM HERE.

Page 4 (5 Panels)

Panel 1: Artie is being wheeled down the hallway by Darryl. This is a profile shot with
just Darryl’s thick arms and big frame seen behind Artie’s chair back. Yellow, rubber
gloves protrude from the rear pocket of his work pants. The I-pod is tethered to his belt.
Artie stares grimly ahead his eyes saddened, his jaw tight and fixed.

1. SFX (MUSICAL BARS/DARRYL WHISTLING)

Panel 2: Darryl and Artie start to turn a corner at the end of the hallway.

2. DARRYL: WELCOME HOME ARTIE.

3. DARRYL: YOU GAVE EVERYONE QUITE A SCARE.

Panel 3: Shot from behind. Darryl suddenly picks up speed and rushes Artie down an
adjoining hallway. At its end is an open doorway. The panel should be very kinetic
indicating Darryl’s disregard for Artie’s fragile nature.

Panels 4-5: Profile shot here, with spilt panel outside and inside doorway. Darryl on the
outside in the hallway has stopped abruptly and lifted the rear of the wheelchair spilling
Artie and catapulting him across the room.

4. DARRYL: WATCH THAT FIRST STEP THERE ART… IT’S A DOOZY.

5. ARTIE (SHOCK & SURPRISE): GAAA!

Page 5 (3 Panels)

Panel 1: Darryl closes the door with his arm behind him. He raises a cautionary finger to
his lips.

1. ARTIE (OP/GRUNTS LOUDLY WITH SURPRISE AND PAIN): UH! UH!

2. DARRYL: S-H-H-H… LETS NOT WAKE THE OTHERS ALL RIGHT.

Panel 2: Darryl with a veneer of phony tenderness and concern, gingerly lifts the shaken Artie and sets him on the bed. Artie eyes him with silent anger.

3. DARRYL: S’MATTER ARTIE? WHY SO QUIET? WHERE’S THAT GARRULOUS NATURE WE’VE ALL COME TO LOVE AND EXPECT?

4. DARRYL: AHHH… YOU’RE NOT CONTINUING TO FOCUS ON ALL THAT UNPLEASANTNESS FROM BEFORE ARE YOU?

5. DARRYL: I WAS HOPING WE COULD PUT THAT BEHIND US.

6. DARRYL: HOSPITALS ARE GERMY PLACES? TELL YOU WHAT… I’LL DRAW YOU A BATH… WE CAN PLAY CATCHUP WHILE YOU SOAK… START ANEW.

Panel 3: Darryl walks towards an open bathroom door with his back to Artie. Artie is in
the foreground. A tubular, fluorescent bulb brightly lights the bathroom and some of the
bedroom.

7. DARRYL: I KNOW… I KNOW… YOU PROBABLY BELIEVE THERE’S PRECIOUS LITTLE THAT YOU AND I COULD STILL FIND TO DISCUSS; NO ISSUES OF MUTUAL INTEREST LEFT TO ADDRESS OR BE EXPOUNDED UPON EH?

8. DARRYL: I’M WOUNDED ART… DESPITE THE UNSOPHISTICATED NATURE OF MY VOCATION, I’VE ALWAYS CONSIDERED MYSELF A FAIRLY CONVERSE AND LITERATE FELLOW… EVEN WITH THE AWKWARDNESS OF PAST DAYS, I’M SURE IF WE DIG DEEP ENOUGH THERE’S STILL PLENTY OF TOPICS LEFT TO EXPLORE.

9. DARRYL: HELL… LOTS OF THINGS SPRING TO MIND.

Page 6 (6 Panels)

Panel 1: Close-up shot of Darryl’s hands removing towels from Artie’s hamper.

1. DARRYL: WE COULD FOR INSTANCE, CHAT ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF COMMUNITY. A VALUE SEEMINGLY SO ABSENT IN THE LIVES OF MANY OF TODAY’S YOUTH… BUT NEVER THE CASE AT VENERABLE ‘OL G.H.

2. DARRYL: WHY… OUR RESIDENTS HERE EMBRACE COMMUNITY LIKE FEW OTHERS. WHETHER IT’S ATTENDING TUESDAY BINGO OR SUPPORTING A WORTHY FUND; FEW FACILITIES COULD CITE SUCH WIDE SCALE PARTICIPATION OR UNFLAGGING DEVOTION TO THE VERY NATURE OF COMMUNITY.

3. DARRYL: IT’S TOUCHING, REALLY.

Panel 2: Close-up shot of Darryl’s hands stuffing the towels at the base of the apartment front door.

4. DARRYL: IF CIVICS AREN’T YOUR CUP OF TEA, HOW ABOUT LANGUAGE? WE COULD ALWAYS EXAMINE THAT PARADIGM OF GREEK EVOLUTION, THAT VERITABLE STANDARD OF WESTERN DEVELOPMENT… THE ART OF THE TIMELESS DEBATE.

5. DARRYL: TO POINT… YOUR RECENT ARRIVAL AT THE HALL COINCIDES WITH WHAT I FEEL TO BE A CONTINUED DEGREE OF RETICENCE IN CONTRIBUTING TO THE AFOREMENTIONED FUND… TRUE?

6. DARRYL: EXPECTED PARTICIPATION NOTWITHSTANDING, I ACQUIESCED FOR A TIME… A GRACE PERIOD OF SORTS… TO BETTER CONSIDER YOUR POSITION.

7. DARRYL: IT WAS MY FERVENT HOPE THAT YOUR FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS WOULD PREVAIL IN PRESENTING MY OPPOSING STANCE… HELP YOU TO SEE THE FLAW IN YOUR REASONING AS IT WERE.

Panel 3: Shot from outside in the dark, Darryl is pictured shutting Artie’s open window.
Artie’s face remains impassive, seated at the bed.

8. DARRYL: ALAS… IT WAS NOT TO BE.

9. DARRYL: A MONTH GONE AND WHERE AM I FOR ALL MY PATIENCE? STILL NOTHING FOR THE KITTY AND EVEN MORE OBSTINATE THAN BEFORE.

10. DARRYL: SIGH… WHAT ARE WE TO DO WITH YOU ARTIE?

Panel 4: Shot is of Darryl’s back as he lowers the blinds.

11. DARRYL: THING IS… I RESPECT YOU… HONEST I DO. A DECENT BOWEL MOVEMENT IS A RED-LETTER DAY FOR MOST ‘ROUND HERE.

12. DARRYL: FEW FLEAS ON YOU THOUGH. JUST SHY OF THREE FIGURES AND ALL YOUR CARDS…, IF NOT YOUR TEETH IN PLAY… TOP SHELF OLD MAN … REALLY… WELL DONE.

13. DARRYL: YOU’VE GOT A LOT OF CLUB ART… I‘D LOVE NOTHING BETTER THAN TO ALLOW THE EXEMPTION… HOWEVER, IMPARTIALITY HAS ALWAYS PROVEN TO BE THE KEYSTONE OF MY LITTLE BENEFIT’S SUCCESS.

14. DARRYL: THEREFORE AFTER CAREFUL CONSIDERATION OF YOUR COMPELLING ARGUMENT, AND IN THE SPIRIT OF TRUE DEBATE, I COUNTER YOUR ORIGINAL POSITION WITH THIS FINAL REBUTTAL.

Panel 5: Darryl’s face head turns to look over his shoulder as the blinds lower. His look is
one of pure evil.

15. DARRYL: I DON’T GIVE A FUCK.

Panel 6: Same shot as previous panel. Darryl’s face breaks into a wide friendly Cheshire
cat like smile.

16. DARRYL: LET’S GET THAT BATH DRAWN O.K.?

Im working on a one pager. Blind inmate of an insane asylum.
Making it one page a lot of information has to be suggested.
Additionally have to make the writer look good, also make it different.
It helps to hate other artists

Good on ya, brother! I’m actually working on several shorts, which I’ll post on Millarworld once completed. You can check out the start of 'em at: http://geecomics.com/free-comics.html.

Cheers,

G

Wow. Congratulations, Michael. Denizen looks like an interesting concept. And I think the art is really good, too. What are your plans for it?

For myself, as I’ve mentioned before on the forums, I have a horror comic up on Comixology called six:eight. It’s meant to be the first chapter in a much bigger story but honestly I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to do any of the follow-up chapters.

Here’s the direct link to the book on Comixology: https://www.comixology.com/six-eight-1/digital-comic/260694?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9Jc3N1ZXM

And I just finished issue #1 of my next project, called Neotheric with the artist Dave Mims. It’s about anthropomorphic dinosaurs returning to Earth to, basically, cause havoc. I will be submitting it soon to Comixology and also putting up low-rez versions of the pages as a webcomic on Tapastic for people to read for free. And, hopefully, entice them to buy the HD version on Comixology.

I also have another project with another artist that’s a humorous superhero book but that’s just getting started.

Besides the Millarworld Annual coming, I’m working on a few pitches, a few short stories, and a few projects.

Can’t really talk about the pitches at the moment, as it’s a bit premature, but the short stories should be coming soon. You can see a preview for one of them, here: http://www.denizcamp.com/our-love-is-chemical-.html

I really love working in the short form; no room for anything but what is necessary. OUR LOVE IS CHEMICAL will be 6 pages, and we’re just finishing up colors. The next one, which I’m tentatively calling THE PAST IS A DIFFERENT COUNTRY (alternatively, THE MACHINE), will be 10 pages. Have pencils for the first two pages for that one. I’ll certainly post them up online when all is done, and may collect them with a few other shorts I’ve done, one day.

We’ve finished up the entire first issue to MAXWELL’s DEMONS (20 pages), we’re working on the cover and letters, and I’ve written the next script. I’ve mapped out about a 35 issue run of it, and it’s incredibly ambitious. I’ll pitch it to publishers soon, but I’m dedicated to it, and I’ll self publish and pay out of pocket if I must.

I’ve finished the script - 45 pages - to a kind of thematic sequel to WAR INTELLIGENCE, with the same artist, Dario Duluoz. It’s called ONE, and it’s tagline is “An End Times for Our Times”. It is complete in and of itself, but there are 6 more similarly over-sized issues planned, also complete in themselves, but invisibly connected. One of those projects, overall, that might span a good ten years at the rate we’re going, though. :slight_smile:

I’ve got an avant garde OGN called EMBERS that is coming along slowly; 60-70 pages (depending on how the artist interprets it). I’m not sure it’s written in a style quite like anything else, though I know I felt I was channeling Gaiman as I wrote it. It’s science fiction, it’s deeply personal, and I think it might be my best work.

And hopefully I’ll soon have more to talk about. :slight_smile:

Thanks Michael for participating in the forum and your kind comments. I’m enjoying looking at your’s and everyone else’s work. “six:eight” looks promising btw. In answer to your your question, my plans are probably like most folks; find a way to finish paying for it. “Denizen” has been rolling around in limbo for a while now due to that. The book sparked some interest at DC awhile back and actually generated a sit down interview for me with them. Unfortunately, they decided to pass on my urban myth story after some consideration… The editor at Vertigo however, felt my writing was strong enough to offer me the opportunity to write a sample script for one of their characters. I chose Vertigo’s Hellblazer. I wrote a twenty-two-page, one-shot in 2009 (yep, it was that long ago), detailing John Constantine’s history with his famous trench coat, titled “My Mate John”. I actually lined up some incredible drawing talent for the issue. Mike Ransom Getty (Marvel’s - Skrull Kill Krew, Image’s - Guarding the Globe, BOOM Studio’s - Evil Empire) & Alexander Stojanov (BOOM Studio’s - The Unknown, Die Hard: Year One) had both agreed to provide art for the issue. The editor at Vertigo liked my story but felt at the time, the readership would have difficulty accepting a story with the focus being on John’s coat and not on him per se… That’s interesting, because two years later Vertigo ran a similar story in their pub titled the “Devil’s Trenchcoat” which went from issues #283 - #286. It might be hubris but I like my story better. Here’s the first illustrated page from my prospective story along with the sample cover we came up with… If you have any additional interest in what I wrote please feel free to check out the script linked below. Thanks again for sharing.

Mike

Hi Deniz. Thanks for participating in the forum and a belated congratulations on your win for the Millarworld annual. I look forward to seeing your completed work. Like you, I also am interested in anthologies. One of my fondest memories was watching episodes of the “Twilight Zone” with my Dad growing up. As a result, one of the projects I’m currently working on is a similar, themed anthology series titled "Road Dust" complete with its own four-wall-breakin’ narrator (based on my own blue-collared Dad). Each volume is comprised of four, separate, two-issue stories. Here’s the cover to volume #1, plus the preamble to the series for you too check out. I’m initially trying out a minimalist, B&W look but haven’t definitively settled on that… BTW, I tossed in a pic of my dear ol’ Dad; the inspiration for the series.

Hi Big Willy. This link looks great. I can’t wait to see the work as it unfolds. I went ahead and pre-ordered the Big Willy GN as well. I’d appreciate a signed copy if possible. Thanks for sharing to the forum and I’ll keep an eye out for your stuff as it develops. Thanks again.

Mike

Thank you so much, Mike! I will definitely sign it for you. I live in Montreal, Canada and am often in Burlington, VT to visit family so I can hand deliver the GN when it’s ready.

And likewise, I will keep an eye out for your work. Seeing creators like yourself help to fuel my own dreams. If you’re ever looking to collaborate, or pull resources together, I am open to working with like minded individuals who are working hard at their craft. Contact me here, or through Facebook (I sent you a Friend request) anytime: https://www.facebook.com/GEEComics

Cheers,

G

Wow, that sucks that they did that to you. Seems like they just stole your idea. Not cool. I read the script and it was interesting. I’m not familiar with Hellblazer so I was unclear on a few things. But it’s an interesting concept and it’s told well. I think the best part was the coat’s dialogue. Gave him a unique, funny personality.

For those with short stories, what are you eventually doing with them? I just mailed off a couple of Future Shock spec scripts to 2000AD but I’m just going to assume that they will be rejected. I would like to make them myself with the artist from my Neotheric project but I’m not sure if it’s worth the cost. What can I do with them when they’re done? Are there other anthologies out there for short comic stories? Anyone tried submitting to Dark Horse Presents? What else is there? Anything?

Thanks for reading my script Michael and yes it did suck especially since their finished story mirrored my own so closely. A fact I discussed with them. They declined to comment due to legal reasons but at least the editor at the time remained open to reading future unlicensed, original material from me… A minor consolation I guess. Tough business huh?

You shouldn’t assume anything will be rejected. Stay positive. 2000 A.D. has a decent history of using unsolicited material for Future Shocks. I plan on submitting a story or two myself to them once I finish my current writing assignment.

I would definitely try Dark Horse. They are great folks to talk to. Back when I was vigorously pushing my book “Denizen”, they gave it a several months long look before deciding no. They continued to be gracious and inquire about it’s progress while we were in talks. Very professional and a pleasure to deal with despite the unsatisfactory outcome.

You might get a lot of “no’s” but it only takes one “yes” to get your start.

Mike

Well, if your’e making a short, I’d get it made, first and foremost. Team up with an artist to draw it. If you can’t pay for the pages themselves, offer to pay for professional coloring and lettering, and to do the legwork of sending it and bringing it to editors, cons, websites, etc.

Once it’s made, there are plenty of anthologies running at any given time that are open to accepting finished stories, some of which have a decent readership.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just gotta keep plugging away, I guess. Until I run out of money.

I feel ya’. I also am creator-poor…

Would you care to share the names/websites/contact info for any of those anthologies or where someone would find this information? The only ones I am aware of are 2000AD and Dark Horse Presents. I’ve Googled this but don’t come up with anything.

It’s all about hunting them down, because submissions open/close seasonally. Grayhaven Comics currently has submissions open I believe?

Digital Webbing is doing another of their long running ones http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175854

And Outre often does open submissions http://outrepress.com/

Here are a few more I found after a few minutes of searching:

http://anniedraws.tumblr.com/post/136296898242/call-for-submissions-ghost-story-comic-anthology

http://www.calibercomics.info/caliber-presents-submission-guidelines.html

www.haylestormcomics.com/submissions/

http://www.alternacomics.com/#!if-anthology/nbvkf

There are a lot of other ones that just don’t happen to be open at the moment, and new opportunities springing up every month, usually with some theme.

Wow. Thanks for that. I guess I wasn’t using the right terms in my searches.

Hi Gary. I saw and accepted your friend request. I checked out your Big Willy link. It’s solid stuff.

With regard to collaboration, I’m always open to it with anyone who takes it seriously.

One thing however, that’s proven to become Kryptonite for a lot of folks I’ve worked with over the past few years, are the expectations born of collaboration. Too often people start projects with the best of intentions, only to be mired down by the uncertain prospect of being rewarded on the back end.

Few people become rich creating comics. Me personally, I’m in it because I believe in my ability and feel I offer something meaningful, interesting and worthy of the medium. I wanna write comics and see them on the racks of my local shop; period.

In 2008, I was chosen as 1 of 6 finalists in the DC talent search at the NYC Comic-con. That was a huge boon for me and remains the impetus for me continue where some I’ve started with, might have lost focus or drive.

I would love to work with a group of same-minded individuals whose goal remains producing the work first and getting paid second. If some people rely on this kind of work, to pay the bills, I can understand hesitancy regarding long range projects but at the close of day, my experience has been that prospective publishers still want to see a finished product.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Mike