millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What would you like a Superman movie to look like?

I would really, really like a Superman film ambientated in the 40s, a la Fleischer cartoons.

It will never happen though, but a man can dream.

Need to think about it. @ParkerMcTwatface and @Todd are the closest to how I feel about it.

What he said :+1:t3:

Very much this. I couldn’t have put it any better. It’s why I still enjoy the Christopher Reeve movies. Even the shite ones end with Superman giving that warm smile to the camera while that music swells up. The modern versions completely miss this for reasons that I don’t understand. It’s like they’re putting on a family fun day but they cancel the magician and replace him with a depressed priest.

So I originally wasn’t going to post in this thread, as Superman’s not a character that holds any appeal for me - I enjoyed the Christopher Reeve movies as a kid, and the Fleischer cartoons still hold some appeal in terms of their design and the gorgeous rotoscoped animation (I’m a sucker for good rotoscoping), but he’s not really my bag as an adult.

But - there’s a lot of characters who are commentaries on Superman (either by design or later work by subsequent creators), and to have them work well in cinema, we need the right Superman. A good Supreme Power movie or TV show, Apollo, Majestic, they all need to be contrasted against a good Superman - the core of his character being that he’s the ‘boy scout’, he’s the guy who has the moral high ground and is always virtuous. He’s the guy who’ll always apply the right amount of power, in the right way for the right reasons. He’s the platonic ideal of the superhero.

So I’d like a Superman movie that’s not for me, but in the right way to enable movies about superheroes that are for me.

There’s always a lot of debate over who the villain should be in a Superman film, but I wonder whether there’s a preferable option: have no super-villain in the movie at all.

I’d love to see a film that was about Superman acting as an example for us all, teaching us to be the best that we can be. Because at his heart, that’s what I feel the character is all about: all that is good and positive about the human spirit.

As soon as you get Superman punching someone in the face (even a super-powered Kryptonian or an acquisitive alien), you start to move away from that, for me.

So have a movie with the classic origin (doomed planet; desperate scientists; last hope; kindly couple), and then have Clark grow up in a world that doesn’t have a super-villain that he needs to deal with immediately. Have him save people from disasters. Have him teach people how to be better. Have him inspire people (whether that’s to be selfless, treat people more kindly, create great art, anything). He should be an inspirational, 100% positive figure.

You might think that there’s not any drama in that, but there’s plenty of drama in showing the lives of regular people, and how they could be affected by having such a source of strength and inspiration in their lives. Show how Superman makes the world a better place. And to enable some attachment to Superman as a character rather than just a symbol, you weave in the comedy-drama of Lois Lane trying to work out who Superman is, and falling in love with him as Clark falls in love with her.

If you want to play it goofy and fantastical, then sure, have Krypto, and a date with Lois on the moon, and Martha Kent sewing up the super-suit for her son to fly around in. If not, then keep it relatively grounded, and make the human dramas (and Superman’s involvement in them) the core of the movie.

Then, if you want, you end by setting up Luthor for a second movie. Show how he’s the dark side of humanity’s reaction to Superman: the jealously, the feelings of inadequacy, the need to ‘beat’ everyone and feel like you’re better than them. But for Luthor to really work, you need to fully establish what he’s reacting against, and I think a great way to do that would be to have a movie of Superman just being Superman: a pure example of everything that’s good about humanity and the world.

[quote=“DaveWallace, post:26, topic:9776, full:true”]
You might think that there’s not any drama in that, but there’s plenty of drama in showing the lives of regular people, and how they could be affected by having such a source of strength and inspiration in their lives.[/quote]
To expand on this a little bit, one of the great things about Miller’s Dark Knight Returns (that always seems to get passed over by people when they talk about how good it is) is all the little vignettes about the regular folk who live in Gotham City, and how their lives are affected by Batman’s return - how he inspires them to stand up to villains, and how he gives people a sense of pride in their city again, rather than accepting its decline and letting the bad guys have their way. I’d love to see this kind of street-level texture in a superhero movie, but it doesn’t seem to happen very often.

I had to check for a moment that it wasn’t @davidm :smile:

But I agree with your idea. Superman needs to be the good guy.

Most importantly, I don’t think you need a bad guy for him to be the good guy. :slight_smile:

I fully endorse this comment. :grinning:

The start of MOS is awful. CGI sub Star Wars flying Dino creatures and the destruction of Krypton is 30 mins wasted. Young Clark scenes showed promise but showing sequences as flashbacks served only to keep pulling me out of the main narrative. He was more interesting as a kid.
A heavily fictionalised Metropolis again not what the character needs in century 21.

There’s always a lot of debate over who the villain should be in a Superman film, but I wonder whether there’s a preferable option: have no super-villain in the movie at all.

I’d love to see a film that was about Superman acting as an example for us all, teaching us to be the best that we can be. Because at his heart, that’s what I feel the character is all about: all that is good and positive about the human spirit.

As soon as you get Superman punching someone in the face (even a super-powered Kryptonian or an acquisitive alien), you start to move away from that, for me.

So have a movie with the classic origin (doomed planet; desperate scientists; last hope; kindly couple), and then have Clark grow up in a world that doesn’t have a super-villain that he needs to deal with immediately. Have him save people from disasters. Have him teach people how to be better. Have him inspire people (whether that’s to be selfless, treat people more kindly, create great art, anything). He should be an inspirational, 100% positive figure.

You might think that there’s not any drama in that, but there’s plenty of drama in showing the lives of regular people, and how they could be affected by having such a source of strength and inspiration in their lives. Show how Superman makes the world a better place. And to enable some attachment to Superman as a character rather than just a symbol, you weave in the comedy-drama of Lois Lane trying to work out who Superman is, and falling in love with him as Clark falls in love with her.

If you want to play it goofy and fantastical, then sure, have Krypto, and a date with Lois on the moon, and Martha Kent sewing up the super-suit for her son to fly around in. If not, then keep it relatively grounded, and make the human dramas (and Superman’s involvement in them) the core of the movie.

Then, if you want, you end by setting up Luthor for a second movie. Show how he’s the dark side of humanity’s reaction to Superman: the jealously, the feelings of inadequacy, the need to ‘beat’ everyone and feel like you’re better than them. But for Luthor to really work, you need to fully establish what he’s reacting against, and I think a great way to do that would be to have a movie of Superman just being Superman: a pure example of everything that’s good about humanity and the world.

:slight_smile:

:wink:

I guess…

… but where’s Brainiac?

Well Snyder sort of did that, but went a bit further, to a deeper level, not just staying on the simplistic “positive” surface… Unofrtunately they got side-tracked with all the Batman/JLA business =(

But anyways, seems a lot of you people want a comicbook hero to teach you how “to be the best you can be”, and I’m wondering: Wow do you really want that? Do you feel you need that? And more to the point: Have you ever watched a movie that’s really inspired you to be the best you can be? Honestly…

That’s a really good question. By “He should be an inspirational, 100% positive figure”, I mean (and just to be clear: @DaveWallace posted that, I was just cheekily copying it, and he might mean something different by it) I don’t mean Superman should inspire me the viewer, I mean he should inspire the people in the movie world. Adam Hughes once said this about Wonder Woman:

Everything Wonder Woman says and does makes the world a better place. If you aske her to pass the salt at the dinner table, she’d do it in a way that would make you think, ‘Gosh darn it, I am going to go back and finish college! She could cure cancer with a smile.

He could have said it about Superman too.

Do I need a Superman movie to inspire me to be the best I can be? No, I don’t need that. I’ve got decades of comics to do that.

All I want is a Superman movie where he acts like he does in the best of those comics.

mmm, yeah maybe but that’d be a super boring movie, to me… Like, I don’t wanna watch 2hrs of some dude saving kittens from trees. I don’t care. I much prefer the more nuanced approach that Snyder took.

Everyone hates how Snyder used Jonathan Kent in MoS but I thought it was brilliant and despite his short screen time, JK remains the best character from the movie as far as I’m concerned. And yes, snapping Zod’s neck was also a brilliant move for this kind of movie… But I guess if people are looking for a “Super Friends” Superman, well, sure MoS is probably gonna disapoint.

There are some great thoughts in this thread, but we should ease back from the Man of Steel debate.

What do you want from a Superman movie Jacowboy?

But, actually, thinking hard about it - before that, you need to have Brainiac and Superman biffing on right after Brainiac steals Lois from her bath for some reason.

Here is one of my favourite movies. Two hours of some dudes saving people from a fire:

Everything Wonder Woman says and does makes the world a better place. If you aske her to pass the salt at the dinner table, she’d do it in a way that would make you think, ‘Gosh darn it, I am going to go back and finish college! She could cure cancer with a smile.
He could have said it about Superman too.

That’s all well and good, but Superman’s main title is still called Action Comics.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him pass the salt. Maybe when he’s Clark Kent? :thinking:

Anyway, they should definitely have that scene from Birthright where he shoots a guy but then catches the bullet before it hits him, which Mark Waid remade from a 40s comic (I think). Give him that rough and ready, hero of the people vibe.