millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What story would you have told with "STAR WARS 7-9?

I have yet to see episode 7 (waiting for the crowds to die down a little). But from the little I do know about the film, I’m immediately apprehensive. It’ll be interesting to see if the nostalgia bubble will finally burst with these new films. The big studios have been riding a wave of nostalgia for almost ten years now and as with every bubble in pop culture, it has to burst eventually. Star Wars may be the epitome of pop culture nostalgia. I am not against reinventing or adding to familiar artistic properties, unless it diminishes the source material. I already feel uneasy about the idea that not a lot of time (Star Wars universe time) has passed between episode 6 and episode 7. I think for all the troubles and battles that the heroes of the original three went through, they earned the universe a century or two of peace time. But in order for the studios to cash in on the feeling of nostalgia that comes with seeing the original cast in their original roles, it has to be set soon after. I think that ultimately, this diminishes the grandeur of the events in the original three.

So in short (haha), If it were up to me (a nobody in Australia), I would have set the the new movies at least a hundred to two hundred years after the events of the original. For nostalgias sake, I may have included Luke in spectre form shooting the shit with ghost Yoda and Obi.

Sorry about the rant.

Yeah, the main direction I would have liked or seen the series go - or possibly in one of the spin-offs, is toward a synthesis of the binary presentation of the Force so far. Also, the original series did not push the Chosen One theme as strongly as the prequels and this one seems to do, though it started to move it in that direction.

Basically, in the original movie STAR WARS, before it became A NEW HOPE (it was still called Episode IV, but Lucas didn’t really have any idea what happened before. He just wanted it to feel like the Flash Gordon movie serials), the coincidences seem casual rather than causal. There is no sense of some outside force guiding the action. No sense of manifest destiny. Luke discovers he has a birthright and his father was Jedi, but there is not yet any sense that he is the new hope for the Jedi order destined to defeat his father and free the galaxy, blah, blah, blah. Ben Kenobi just teaches him about the Force and allows Luke to find it in himself. He doesn’t lay any sort of pressure on him to be some legendary figure, but encourages him to do the best he can. Then he freakin’ dies.

I would have liked the destiny angle to have been strongly muted in future Star Wars movies. If you present the idea that these characters are on a kind of destined path, then they lose agency. The drama is basically, do they choose the right path or how far can stray from it before returning to it? Great drama, however, comes from having no clear path where every choice has great risk and taking a leap of faith looks like the worst choice of all. Or from revealing the path they are on is actually the wrong one, so they have to forge their own.

Things I’d like to see would be a Jedi who’s the villain. Not that he’s evil, but he is the direct antagonists of the heroes. I like stories where no one is obviously a bad person, but they all come into conflict anyway because the stakes are so high, that it forces them to fight each other. Conversely, I’d to see a Sith - or more generally a “Dark Side Force User,” who is heroic - or at least not overtly and obviously evil. Something like a Leveyan Satanist, who is self-interested, seeks vengeance when wronged, and pursues his own personal and strict moral code, but does not feel like he has to be sadistic, vindictive and impose his own will on the entire galaxy. From his (or her) perspective, that would be pointless and boring.

Saying that I took my son, who is 4 and a half, the new movie and he loved it. He’s a big Star Wars Rebels fan and his favourites were BB-8 and Finn.

We can sometimes see these things through our own prisms, when people before the film came out said the younger generation may have no interest after such a long time I did point out that Star Wars in cartoon form has been wall to wall on Disney XD for a year.

Most referring to the cartoons mentioned Star Wars: Clone Wars and not Rebels, which actually first aired nearly 13 years ago. Yes we are old and time moves faster, hastening your death. :wink:

The one problem with making the Maker “evil” is that you are retreading Avengers: Age of Ultron. Having him a “good guy” would be more interesting if he starts to question whether he came up with the plan on his own or if the Force is making him do it. As a droid built by man who has achieved independence, he starts to question what is free will and if the Force is behind it all. Essentially, is the Force “God”?

Maybe when the Coen bros do a Star Wars movie.

Darth Chigure

Touche sir.

I’m glad your son enjoyed the film and hopefully it inspires the imaginations of today’s youth as the originals did mine.

That being said, the nostalgia cash grab comes with the inclusion of a 97 year old Han Solo. If I were to guess, the youth of today doesn’t care about a 97 year old Han Solo. His (and the rest of the old cast) were included to get the older generation’s butts in seats. Truth be told, I believe the nostalgia that comes with the universe (light sabres, Jedis etc) and the music, would’ve been sufficient enough to get the older generation into the cinema. Having a larger distance of time between the original three and the latest instalment would’ve allowed for more creative wriggle room.

I admit though, I am in my prism and I do like it here.

I look forward to seeing the movie. I think once that music hits, my nostalgia butterflies will start to flutter.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Yes and don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of nostalgia at play in this film. :smiley:

I just think it’s less reliant on it than a lot of commentators have said, the audience has just been too big for that to be the case.

Not evil exactly. He simply allows all parties to pursue their own ends to their own demise. He would be a somewhat Taoist antagonist in the sense that by opposing him, the various other protagonists of the story would forge the means of their destruction.

Honestly, though, without Lucas directly involved, I don’t think we’ll really see any STAR WARS film that pushes the envelope as far as the nature of its mythology - to tell a new story where trying to achieve victory at all costs is the surest path to total defeat.

Really, that was the theme of Episodes I-III which I’ve come to appreciate more, lately.

One thing I can say is that it breaks my heart that we didn’t see Luke, Leia, and Han together one last time. I’m not saying that they should’ve been the focus. I would’ve still wanted to see the new young whippersnappers, though. That said, I still mostly enjoyed TFA.

I agree that it feels like a big missed opportunity to have those three together again. I’ve seen some fans holding out hope that something was filmed for TLJ before Carrie Fisher’s death that would show the three together in flashback at some point between episodes VI and VII, but it seems like a long shot (and as far as I know is total speculation rather than being based on any leak or rumour).

Oh, man. That would most likely make me flood the theater with tears! Maybe this is crazy naive, or maybe even delusional, but I’m hoping that Han returns in episode 9. We never saw a corpse, although it’s REALLY hard to imagine that anyone could survive a lightsaber through the guts and a fall down one of Star Wars’ many endless shafts. I saw an interview with Harrison Ford this year in which he was asked if Han would return and he made a “I don’t know” gesture. Which means he would return if he was paid even more money.

I think we only would see him in a flashback now, if ever. Undoing that death wouldn’t work I don’t think.

You’re right. A flashback would work much better.

Funny to see this thread well after the fact thanks to new comments. @Todd’s vision is a lot like Asimov’s Foundation. I don’t know if that was intentional. Having read the original Foundation trilogy recently, I found a ton of Star Wars parallels that I don’t think were a coincidence (understand that I mean George Lucas drew a lot of his ideas from Asimov, for both the original and prequel trilogies). So that’s funny to see, since I haven’t found a lot of obvious support for how deep the Star Wars/Foundation connection really seems to be.

Also, there seems to be some confusion about the nature of the Jedi/Sith rivalry. I don’t know if any of this is derived from the “expanded universe,” but I’ll try to clear it up. As depicted in the prequels, the Jedi are selfless in their use of the Force, and the Sith are selfish. The only Jedi to theoretically use Sith tactics successfully who appears in the movies is actually Yoda, who lives a lifespan of 900 years. This doesn’t seem likely for a natural lifespan. We know, or can suspect, that Palpatine lived a similar lifespan. My idea for how the Jedi/Sith schism happened is actually that Yoda and Palpatine were always at opposite ends, and that Yoda just never knew it. The Sith seem more powerful, but then, they use the Force recklessly, which is inherently unpredictable, even for Force practitioners. We saw that with Darth Maul’s fate, with Darth Vader’s on Mustafar, and the Emperor’s, and of course everything Palpatine did, which was why and the only reason why he was able to defeat Yoda in Revenge of the Sith (or at least fight him to a stalemate, which is how I choose to interpret it), since we see that Yoda was actually able to absorb Force lightning (“Much have you to learn.”), which theoretically is something Jedi don’t use because it’s one of those “dark magic” Force abilities.

Anyway, as it happens, way back in February 2014, I had also developed my concept of Episode VII, which is as follows, something I’d imagined before seeing The Force Awakens, so it includes none of its characters, and alas, no droid business:

"I know J.J. Abrams is already hammering out the script and everything, and so this is an exercise in futility, but the idea struck me last night and I’m in love with it.

Basically, Tom Hardy is Han Solo’s son. It’s so perfect. I’ve been a huge fan of Hardy’s for years. As a bonus, he seems to be a go-to guy for franchises already (Batman, Mad Max). And a lot of other people are already acknowledging how awesome he is based on his recent work, starting with the breakthrough Inception performance.

But seriously, do I need to sell you anymore on the concept? Here goes…

The title of this Episode VII is The Rogue’s Son. We begin our adventure with a surly Kane Skywalker (that’s our boy Hardy) living at the farthest reaches of the galaxy. It’s thirty years after the defeat of the Empire, but the most famous names are Solo and Organa, the power couple who ended up becoming the face of the New Republic. Even though he technically did most of the work, Luke Skywalker’s legacy has been lost, and so using that surname helps Kane hide better.

Wanting nothing to do with his parents after a rough childhood where he felt like he meant nothing to them while the New Republic meant everything, Kane has ended up a lot like his father. He has no idea, of course. The biggest irony is that he even has his own hand-me-down patchwork ship he’s worked on for years, making it his own, so that it’s far more impressive than it has any right to be. He drag-races it every chance he gets. But he’s not happy.

Word has reached Kane that the remnant of the Imperial fleet is staging a comeback. In his desperation he actually thinks it’s a good thing to side with these guys. As a ode to the classic Timothy Zahn novels, we’ve even got Thrawn in the mix, only instead of being the leading figure he’s another outcast like Kane, just looking for a way in. Kane and Thrawn team up to offer their services to the cause.

Standing in Kane’s way. An old hermit he knows as Bail. Except Bail is really Luke Skywalker, Kane’s uncle and still the last of the Jedi. He’s never had success in rebuilding the Order. This also has a way of tying in with all those books about Han and Leia’s kids who were among the first of the new Jedi. Because Kane knows he does have access to the Force. But he has no idea how to control it.

In fact, he has a lightsaber, and when Luke reveals his true identity they engage in a wild duel. Until Luke convinces Kane to give his father one last shot.

And so they head home. The reunion is a painful one. Kane and Han engage in another fight. (Come on. You will never grow tired of Harrison Ford in a fight.) But they agree to give it another shot. It’s only then that Kane remembers the impending threat of the Imperial fleet.

The thing is, in the rebuilding process the New Republic kind of overlooked matters of security. There hadn’t been a real threat in three decades. So it’s entirely unprepared to face this fleet. Kane realizes he and his ship are the New Republic’s best shot.

And perhaps to set up room for a sequel, Thrawn betrays Kane at the end in order to give the Imperial fleet something to use next time.

To my mind, this is a fantastic idea. Tom Hardy in movies like Warrior and Bronson portrays all the necessary elements, to an almost scary degree, to sell this role. Warrior is a movie about a father and son(s) who find reconciliation difficult. Bronson is about a crass and unrefined brute who can sometimes fake his way into a more civilized mode (that’s where Kane’s mother Leia would show her influence!).

And it’s Tom Hardy. And Harrison Ford. I know they tried it with Shia LaBeouf in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but, and no offense to Shia LaBeouf, Shia LaBeouf is no Tom Hardy. Hardy and Ford are a match made in heaven. And they’re meant to be father and son, in Star Wars.

This idea has zero chance of happening, and I’m sure I will be more than happy with whatever Abrams cooks up…but I would love to see this happen…"

If you ask real nice, I’d even let you look at my “middle trilogy,” set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.