millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What story would you have told with "STAR WARS 7-9?

Yeah, I understand the motivation. From an economic perspective, it’s tried and true – which is why it’s everywhere. The very proliferation of comic book films is evidence enough of it’s effectiveness.

But from a creative perspective, I don’t find it very interesting. Doubly so for me, who has no real affection or interest in the franchise itself.

Star Wars is big enough that it doesn’t have to try to appeal to people like me – the fanbase, by now aging, is so huge and so dedicated that they are indoctrinating THEIR kids. It’s a really interesting phenomenon, actually. It’s reached a critical mass, to the point that it’s a self propagating IP.

As I tend to live my life according to the principle of contrary common sense, I have to think that the emphasis on staying true to the feel, style and even basic narratives of the original series will be successful in the short term but will also eventually come back to bite them. I actually don’t think that kids seeing these will retain the same feeling for a lot of the movies coming out today - like Marvel movies - because they will grow up to see them as their parents’ movies more than their own.

And, of course, really, they are Disney’s movies, and characters, and stories and toys.

It’s hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice, especially when you’re trading on old set pieces. Perhaps no movie could, at once, have been as accessible and ‘clean’ as the original Star Wars, while taking place in that universe. I think, if it were up to me, it would probably become a little more cerebral, a little bit more risky and morally murky – which is no doubt a nice recipe for loss of wider appeal.

I mean, thinking of it, isn’t that essentially where all the various Star Wars stuff that grew up around the movies went? Backwards and forwards and expanding outwards. All those novels, comics, cartoons. And those, undoubtedly, had diminishing returns.

Meanwhile, Marvel goes back to the original film time period, the original film’s characters, and this movie is a straight and complete sequel and nostalgia trip. All are phenomenally successful.

So what do I know? Not much about Star Wars, clearly.

Lets be honest, Return of the Jedi retreads quite a bit of A New Hope. (Another Death Star? Really?)

It does, though, get a tremendous amount of fan service out of the way. The sheer amount of it, including the Death Star retreads, was one of the problems I had, but now I’m starting to think it was a good idea to get it all done straight out of the gate. There was soooo much that I think it’s safe to say that the next two can kind of branch out now in any direction they want (apart from the origin of Rey set-up that is clearly geared towards being an “I’m your father/brother/mother/cousin/god parent/great aun’t/grandfather/2nd cousin twice removed/maker/best friend in primary school/clone” twist, which I really wish they had just gotten out of the way in this film).

I’m pretty sure there’s a Grant Morrison story in that.

From Spaceballs (1987):

Dark Helmet: Not so fast, Lone Starr!
Lone Starr: Helmet. So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time. [Thinks about what he has just said, then approves it.] [whispers] Yeah.
Dark Helmet: Before you die, there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. [1]
Lone Starr: [confused] What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing, which is what you are about to become. Prepare to die.

You’ll come to find all of my jokes are recycled, Todd :grinning:

Just be sure to steal from the best! :smiley:

*puts down reading glasses

There was. It happened in Marvel Boy. :slight_smile:

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrecks everyone, pets lizard, the end.

THRAAAAAAWNNNNN!

Don’t touch my lizard!

Each movie will be 2 hours of Jar-Jar getting tortured…

Steal from Legend of Korra. It’s the best. In a lot of ways. it’s already like Star Wars.

I haven’t seen Korra yet but Airbender always felt to me like the closest modern equivalent to Star Wars.

Korra is great. Bending is similar to using the Force.

I would’ve like to have seen more new ideas and unexpected perspectives on the series.

In fact, that’s where I’d take Todd’s idea about the droid rebellion. Off the top of my head, The Maker returns in the form of a mysterious entity who can take over any and all droids (except for C3P0 and R2D2 for a mysterious unknown reason). He (or it) uses his droid trooper army to overcome all resistance. He claims he wants to bring peace and harmony to the galaxy by ending the reign of Force users. He argues, persuasively, that the war and turmoil that the galaxy has endured for centuries has been the direct result of the cycle of conflict between Jedi and Sith.

“The Force exists, but it needs nothing and wants nothing. It has no dark or light side. The only evil lies in those who would twist it for their own ends, whether they believe themto be righteous or selfish.”

As the Maker converts the galaxy to his way of thinking, Princess Leia’s children must flee the Maker’s forces. Jacen (or Ben) Organa-Solo allows himself to be captured so his sister Rey can escape. He’s thrown into a special prison for “Force Users” where he meets Sith apprentice Raxasha (basically a female Darth Maul) who tries to kill him before she’s incapacitated by the droid guards.

Meanwhile, Rey is almost captured except she’s rescued by a force user with more power than she’s even seen. He takes her to a secret forest moon hideaway in a ship that has no navigational system so she has no idea where they are going.

“No one can travel through hyperspace without a navigator.”

“Apparently, you’re wrong.”

“How do you know where you’re going?”

“I never do, but I always end up there anyway.”

“Well, don’t blame me if we crash into the side of an asteroid!”

“I’ll try not to.”

Of course, the strange old man turns out to be Luke Skywalker, Rey’s uncle* who disappeared not long after she was born. He pulls a Yoda on her ala-

“You know too much. I can’t teach you anything.”

“Please, I don’t know anything!”

“Well, I guess that’s you first lesson.”

Back on the Maker’s ship, he has brought captured Princess Leia to persuade her to join his cause. He knows that her support carries more weight in the galaxy than all the politicians and warlords who’ve joined him. He brings Jacen and Raxasha to them and fits them both with inhibitors that attach to the base of their skulls and prevent them from using the Force. The Maker tells Leia that he now has no reason to kill her son so long as she agrees to support him as the public face of his crusade.

Despite Jacen’s protests, she complies and tells the Galaxy that Force Users must be hunted down and stopped for the good of the realm.

Back on the moon, Luke’s lessons to Rey sound very similar to the Maker’s arguments, but from a different perspective.

“The Force has no Dark Side. It doesn’t need or want like we do. No one needs to learn how to use the Force. You need to learn how not to use it, so it can use you.”

“But if it doesn’t need or want anything, why would it use me?”

“That’s a good question. Let me know if you find the answer.”

“You’re crazy, old man.”

“There is more to the galaxy than good, bad, yes, no, love, hate. Rey, there will always be another way.”

Back on the Maker’s ship, Leia’s servant and best friend Viranna turns out to be a trained Jedi. She frees the Princess by using the Force on her droid guards. Together they free Jacen from his prison. He insists she free Raxasha as well. Suspicious, the Sith refuses to go with them unless he explain why a Jedi would help her.

“The enemy of my enemy-” he starts.

“Is not your friend,” she finishes.

“An ally, then?”

Raxasha has little choice but to accept his offer, for the time being.

Leia and Viranna hold off the Maker’s forces, but Leia has to remain behind to give the others a chance to escape. In the biggest reveal of the movie so far, Leia uses the Force and proves to be almost as powerful as Luke. To win the battle, the Maker has to incinerate the entire building.

Far away, both Rey and Luke feel Leia die. They grieve and Luke tells her that Leia was his first student. She was strong in the Force but she stopped training when she felt the pull of the Dark Side.

“Even then, she knew it better than I did. She was stronger than any of us.”

Rey insists on returning to face the Maker and save what’s left of her family. Luke, like Yoda did for him, tells her she’s not ready.

“You’ll never think I’m ready,” she tells him. “Because you’ll never be ready to let me go.”

Despite not having a navigator, Rey prepares the ship for departure trusting the Force will guide her. Luke joins her.

“You must continue training, Rey.”

“You can’t make me stay.”

“I know, so I’m coming with you.”

Meanwhile, Jacen and Raxasha barely escape the pursuing droid soldiers. They are forced down on an deserted planet, and Raxasha uses Jacen as bait, he’s wounded but without the inhibitor, she easily manages to destroy their attackers. With Jacen unconscious and vulnerable, she considers killing him too, but instead she uses the Force to pull the inhibitor out of his neck.

“The enemy of my enemy-”

She feels the barrel of a blaster against her head.

“How?”

Chewbacca stands behind her with his crossbow blaster ready to fire.

“Take it easy, Chewie,” a revived Jacen tells his old friend, practically his uncle. “She’s a friend.”

And so it would go, you’d have Rey discover that Luke was her real father and he left her with Rey and Han after her real mother died, and he had to leave to find the source of the disturbance in the Force. In the end, Rey faces the Maker and defeats him by not using the Force, the true identity of the Maker would be revealed and Luke would sacrifice himself to destroy the Maker’s superpowerful warship deactivating the hold he has on the droids of the galaxy.

Jacen and Raxasha would fall in love and, with Rey, begin the work of finding and training Force users to find their own way as neither Jedi nor Sith.

Just a quick sketch for an idea.

@BeingHenning , I like where you are going.

Something I have been thinking about lately is that SW takes place during the Dark Ages of the galaxy. This age has been going on for centuries, if not a few millennia. (The article I posted in another SW thread about how everyone may be illiterate kicked it off.)

Think about it: In the 50 years between The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens, technology hasn’t advanced a great deal. Cultures seem be stagnant. The Jedi and Sith are the closest thing to religion and they are fighting each other. We get the impression that this has been the status quo for a very long time.

The backstory:

At a remote archival research station, a human historian, Erol Atad, and his research assistant droid, THX-1138, are cataloging every historical record they can find to compile a complete history of the galaxy. They have been doing this for decades. What they discover is shocking: The Dark Age has been going on for well over 20,000 years! And the even bigger shocker: It began shortly after the rise of the Jedi Order and the Force! Atad is dumbfounded. He makes a decision to share this information with Luke Skywalker in hopes something being done.

Meanwhile, THX-1138, who has been processing every bit of information for decades, achieves singularity and has an epiphany: It has used the information it has processed to predict a way for the Dark Age to end and usher in a Golden Age for the galaxy. Organic beings and mechanoids will coexist as equals, not one subservient to the other. Civilizations and societies will grow and prosper. But for this to happen, first the Force users must face extinction, regardless of their alignment. And THX-1138 makes the decision to see this golden age become a reality. THX-1138 renames itself The Maker.

The Maker explains what he must do to Atad, who is horrified. The Maker realizes that Atad cannot be allowed to warn Luke and the others. The Maker freezes Atad in carbonite for safekeeping. (“Knowledge should not be destroyed. It must be preserved.”) The Maker begins upgrading himself to better implement his plan. He takes the station starship and goes about assembling his army, the Knights of the Golden Age.

• The Maker, when he achieved singularity and became independent, gave him access to the Force and he knows this.
  • Because the Maker has the Force and he is a droid, he does not suffer from emotional distractions. He wields it more powerfully than any organic ever has.
  • Because the Maker is so Force-powerful, he can free droids from programming and allow them to be independent. With organic life, he allows them to find the peace within themselves. No one in the Knights of the Gold Age is being coerced into joining. They join because they want to.
  • The reason C-3PO and R2-D2 are “immune” to the Maker is because Luke “freed” them without consciously realizing it. They choose to remain loyal to their friends.
  • Everything the Maker does is part of an all-encompassing plan. He knows the true origins of the Jedi Order and the Use of the Force and the direction things were supposed to go. Millennia ago, they went off the path and inadvertently plunged the galaxy into a Dark Age.
  • The Maker wants the Force-users to face extinction, not become extinct. He wants them to rediscover their true purpose so they can properly help the galaxy enter the Golden Age.
  • The Maker knows if everything goes according to his plan, he will die but the galaxy will be a far better place. At the very end of Ep 8, Rey connects with the Maker via the Force and sees what this is all about. “I UNDERSTAND!!!” Smash cut to credits.
  • In Ep 9, Rey comes to see that Luke was aware of the true intentions of the Maker and has been guiding to become what the Jedis and Force-users were originally meant to be. She would become the true Maker of the Golden Age. Erol Atad would be unfozen to teach her the history of the galaxy so the same mistakes would not be made again.

Johnny: Tag, you’re it! :smile:

Yeah, I like that.

A couple of changes - Anakin Skywalker was originally intended to become the Maker’s vessel - thus the Virgin Birth, and because C3P0 and R2D2 were “made” by Anakin, he can keep them from being used by the Maker.

My conclusion would be that the Maker actually does want to destroy the Force - and all living things - leaving the galaxy “perfected” and occupied by his completely orderly race of droids. However, the Maker fails to realize until the last moment that without the force, he himself (or it itself) will also cease to exist. As eternal night falls on the galaxy, Rey absorbs the last of the force and sacrifices herself to allow it to be reborn reviving all life in the galaxy.

The Jedi were originally supposed to originally supposed to guide all sentients into connecting with the Force. There were those who didn’t want to share the power and became the Sith. Instead of connecting everyone with the Force, they were off fighting the Sith and inadvertently cutting off the Force from people.

Rey’s final sacrifice is that connects everyone, organic and droid, with the Force and this doing what was supposed to be done millennia ago.