millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What should we do with all our stuff when we die?

Everybody dies.
Depending on your religion, you will either “level up” or “something else” but… what about your comics et al? Your collection of signed memorabilia or sketches by Stan Lee, Romita, Jusko, Buscema, Finch, Capullo, or a signed image of Lou Ferrigno or David Hasselhoff?
Your TWD comics and your Millarworld collection?
What are your plans with those items?

3 Likes

As I have already gotten rid of 95%+ of my collection, I don’t have that much left.

I would have my wife take what I have left and sell it at my LCS. I know the owner would be fair with her.

2 Likes

well, that is of course a possible next step. Getting rid of it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently selling off 80% of my collection. Only keeping forever stuff - all my Moore, Morrison, ASM and Uncanny X-Men runs. Pretty much everything else is for sale.

I decided that waiting until I’m 60 to sell my comics was too long to wait. I’m already 40. That’s old enough. Sell most of it off and enjoy the money from it. Who knows what the future holds. I may not be in a position to enjoy the money when I’m 60.

Plus, I can always sell my forever stuff when I’m 60.

6 Likes

I thought this was another Endgame thread from the title.

10 Likes

I’ve already told my wife, everything gets put in the casket, including her if she’s still alive. I’ve spent my entire life collecting things no one ever will appreciate as much as me. The joy of finding that elusive action figure or comic, getting a con sketch or autographed commission. It’s a one sided life collecting things.

6 Likes

It actually is a good question though, and one I think about from time to time. I kind of like the idea of, after my death, my kids looking at my collection of trades or records and thinking, “what are we going to do with all this shit?”

7 Likes

Have you been happy with what you’re getting, relative to the work you’re putting into selling it?

4 Likes

It occured to me this week for the first time…
And makes me rethink my hobby I think.

I still have special comics (signed stuff from McFarlane or personalized stuff from Ebas or Greg Horn or Capullo etc) and a big art collection (over 250 mummy art from sketches to big colored pieces) and of course “must have” comics like Superman/MuhammedAli, WE3, Hooky and more, but…

Most of the stuff is just a big pile of paper :slight_smile: really.
Some of the 20.000 books I might never even reread!

My kids? I have tried to get them invested into comics but 2 diverted into Heavy Metal music and another into TopGear + MakeUp, so sadly no takers there.

4 Likes

I started with 90+ long boxes and kept only 4. I cleaned out a closet and a bunch of drawers.

When I was done, it looked like I had been robbed! :smile:

If you are interested in purging/cleansing your collection, here are some things to keep in mind from my experience:

• You have to be at a point with yourself where you are truly ready to let go. If there is even the slightest bit of doubt or hesitation, you are not ready. When I purged/cleansed, I wanted that shit gone. (I had been there for some time.) As the boxes were being hauled out, my wife kept asking, “Are you sure about this?” My response was yes.
  • Go through your collection to determine what you want to keep. Once you have done that, go through your keep stack again. Continue going through your keep stack until you are down to what you truly want to keep. You will be surprised at what you really want to keep and what you are willing to part with when you go through the keep stack a few times. Many of the things I kept have no financial value but were things I truly enjoyed and would read again in the future. When I told my wife I would be keeping some stuff, she honestly thought I would be keeping about half of my collection. She was truly shocked when I kept 4 boxes of comics and 2 drawers full of miscellaneous things.
  • It is best to sell off everything in one shot. Piecemealing can take a lot of time and you may be stuck with a ton of books you simply can’t get rid of. On the flip side, it is not always easy to find someone who will take a large collection. If you have an LCS that you have a good, long relationship with, talk to them about selling your collection. Being a longtime customer may get you a bit better pricing and a willingness to take on very large collections. I had been going to my LCS for almost 30 years when I got rid of my collection in 2016. He even came to my house and picked the stuff up!
  • Selling your collection to an individual: Be wary of individual buyers. Make sure you watch them as they look over your stuff and never let them take anything with them to “price”. I’m not saying all individual buyers are unscrupulous but better to be safe than sorry.
  • Depending on who’s buying, it may take some time for them to make room to take in your collection. Be patient!
  • Understand that you will NOT get what you paid for on this. I would say that 90%+ of most collections are essentially worthless. What you will be paid for is that 10%. Make peace with this. Look at it this way: When you read that book, you got entertainment value out of it. That’s what matters most. You are also getting rid of a lot of crap that would be difficult to offload unless you simply trashed it. That convenience of someone taking crap off your hands is quite valuable in and of itself.
  • If you are selling to a store, it may take some time for them to go through your collection to give you a price. It took a few months on mine. The LCS also has their regular daily business and other collections to price so don’t expect a quick turn around.
  • If you are selling to a store, cash or a check is fine for payment. If you are selling to an individual, cash or money order only. Never take a check from an individual and only give them your stuff when you have payment in hand. Make sure it is for the agreed upon amount.
  • The one thing to remember is you have to be ready to part with your collection and keeping only what you truly want to keep. Once the money changes hands and everything is out of your house, there is no going back. Be sure this is really and truly what you want to do.
8 Likes

that is easy. Checks are not in use since the 80s here :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the pointers… I think I am evolving into selling off some, for sure

1 Like

It’s a really good question. I haven’t even thought about it before. I would hope it all goes to charity or something useful instead of the landfill, but I don’t think I will have much control over it :confused:

2 Likes

My mother is in her 80’s, and for most of her life she’s collected porcelain figures and crystal knick-naks and the kind of stuff you’d expect granny’s to collect. She’s talked to me about what to do with it all, so this isn’t just an issue with comic books. I’ve told her to make a list of items she’d like others to have - friends and relatives who either admired a piece or who she simply wants to have something to remember her by. One of her friends died a couple of years ago and had done this very thing. The rest goes to a charity shop of some kind.

My uncle is 92 and has a really good electric train collection. He built train sets all his life and I visited him every summer for a couple of weeks building them and playing when I was young. He has nothing written down about what to do with them, and his other nieces and nephews eyeballing everything he owns to sell off once he goes. I’m pretty sad I couldn’t get any of the stuff, I’ve put it out there that I’d even pay, but who knows what will happen.

It’s sad, a lifetime of collecting sold off or scrapped, but that’s what we have these days. Every weekend I see listings for estate sales where a lifetime of items someone thought were special or important are sold for fractions just to get rid of them. There’s loads of professionals out there helping along with the process.

I collect a ton of stuff, all said I’m sure it’d add up to maybe ~$40k worth of bits and pieces. My boys will have first dibs of course, but I think I should make notes for them on what’s worth something and what can be dropped off for charity without wondering if you gave away something valuable. Everyone should have a will, I know too many relatives already who didn’t leave wills and instead left a mess (even with things like houses and cars). And with the will needs to be some sort of instruction on what’s worth paying attention to.

5 Likes

I regularly have a mini-purge of my stuff to keep my collection manageable. I’m in the middle of one at the moment as it happens.

Keeping the comics stuff to a single bookcase is the goal, but it’s not easy and I’m failing miserably at the moment. Digital is making it easier though.

3 Likes

My approach is a bit different than Todd’s. I am piecing my collection out. You get a lot more money that way. It just takes longer, but I am in no rush. I plan to sell it over the course of a few years so I can sell it at my leisure.

I am making mad bank. For example, I sold my raw copy of ASM 569 last night for $50! I sold a small portion of my Walking Dead already for nearly 3 grand. I still have another 2 grand worth of WD to sell! I paid peanuts for the run in comparison to what I am selling it for. It doesn’t work that way for all comics, but I have some gems to sell (100 short boxes!). Lots of gems that have skyrocketed in value thanks to the somewhat new speculation market.

CBSI is a great resource for following current selling trends. They have articles that deal with first appearances and key issues but the best one they do is the weekly Hot 10 list. The week’s hottest selling issues, and more often than not, they are back issues. A trailer comes out that shows a certain character and immediately the first appearance shoots up in value. It is a speculator’s market out there. I am just riding the wave and selling them when they’re hot.

Also, we only have two comic stores in my city and neither of them sell back issues. We have a local Facebook buy/sell group for back issues and it is a thriving market. It’s the only reason I even still keep my FB account. I actually need it to sell my comics. It is shockingly busy in that group, and people are spending shocking amounts of money. An ASM 129 went for $1300 just yesterday.

Once I’ve sold all the really good stuff, I will switch tactics and sell larger lots for cheaper. I will give some away to kids, and sell all the leftover crap as a whole.

6 Likes

true. Although the scrapping is sad, not the collecting part which was part of their way of life, just as reading comics (and collecting comics, collecting art, creating comicbooks myself) is part of my life

LOL
I have an entire room full :slight_smile:

that is great :slight_smile: but I never bothered with mainstream comics so instead I have complete collections on Spawn, Darkchylde, Witchblade and of course Vampirella :slight_smile:

And TWD I collected via TPB’s so that is something I should have done differently :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

I understand selling off your collection if you need space or cash, otherwise I don’t know why you’d sell it off. Collecting should bring you happiness. Should make you feel good every time you see these things and the memories they bring. It’s like a history of your life, remembering where all this stuff came from. I’ve got things from when I was a little kid. I wouldn’t sell any of it off unless I needed to. I think some people lord it over if they don’t have big collections anymore, but I don’t get it - you sold away something you clearly loved.

4 Likes

space, cash… important enough.

I guess we are talking about next steps.

Sure we can hang on to our massive collections but some items just have no emotional value. MY collection of Invincible or TWD was merely entertainment value.

My collection Vampirella however: love at first sight, so…

But what happens when you get older, Jim? Then what?
What if you get aware of your own mortality and … what would happen to the collection if you did not looked both ways when crossing a street for instance.

1 Like

I answered that 23 minutes ago.

ok. I was kinda repeating myself I guess :smiley: