millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

Ok, you got me. It looked like you did take it seriously :smiley:

So there’s still hope for us? :wink:

Yeah, it is 1,000,000x more non-canon then The Cursed Child (which is non-canon)

Some would disagree…

Pfft, like I’m going to take the word of some woman on Twitter. I’d better go over there now and explain it to her.

The Dravidian Languages

I decided to end the old year by reading The Arabian Nights, a classic that I’ve been meaning to get to for a few years now. It was a choice between this and a collection of Hans Christian Anderson’s Fairy Tales. I guess that one will wait another year.

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth (Audible version)

This book reminds me exactly why I prefer American literature to that of my native country. Roth’s alternative history, which covers the period June 1940 to October 1942, follows the Roth family as seen by the younger son Philip (coincidence, or what?). A celebrity (Charles Lindbergh) surprisingly decides to run for, and wins the nomination of the Republican party, and then shockingly wins the presidential election. President Lindbergh, who is in league with the Nazis, then begins a period of American isolationism, keeping the US out of WWII, and starts anti-Semitic schemes, directly affecting the Roth family.

Roth’s prose is pitch-perfect in its portrayal of the creeping anti-Semitism, and general paranoia on both sides, as Lindbergh’s policies begin to take effect. The changes are subtle and realistic, expounding on the philosophies therein, taking the reader deep into the plight of the Roth family. The ending seems to come suddenly, and, unlike most of the rest of the narrative, is told rather than shown, but it doesn’t detract from a 5-star novel. I would love to hear what people who read it years ago think about it now Trump has arrives as a near-perfect analogue Lindbergh. The narrator, Ron Silver, was superb.

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (Audible version)

This book reminds me exactly why the Venn diagram sets of ‘stories I enjoy’ and ‘stories Neil Gaiman wrote’ have no overlap. Their peripheries butted up against each other during parts of American Gods, but that’s about it. Norse Mythology should have solved this problem because, you know… Norse Mythologies, but somehow Gaiman injects a layer of impenetrability to well-worn and interesting tales. They often felt like first draft efforts with poor grammar and incorrect vocabulary, and the tone felt like early school years, but with rude bits. I can only think that this was somehow intentional because Gaiman narrated the book himself.

Clearly, this is all my fault because Gaiman is a multi-award-winning, many times best-selling, and incredibly well-loved author. I suspect he has a poetic style that my Vulcan-like brain simply can’t penetrate, which makes me sad, because I feel like I’m missing out. I’ll be trying out recently purchased Marvel 1602 and The Sandman Vol. 1 comics soon. Fingers crossed.

Reading the first book of the Dune chronicles which was a great find at the second hand bookstore… I was hoping to finish it before the year ends but that’s not happening… I’ll be reading IT when I finish reading it… :grinning:

(I love Dune, but man, those sequels are highly variable)

According to my kindle I only finished 44 books in 2017. :cry:

I got Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero as a Christmas gift, so I’m breaking it open today.

SX328_BO1,204,203,200

If you want a blurb:
Set in the 90’s it’s about a group of 20-somethings who used to hang out as pre-teens and solve mysteries. Now separated and varying degrees of jaded, their most successful case stirs up trouble again when the masked man they put away gets paroled. And it’s uncovered some secrets about that last mystery they never suspected.

The inspiration is obvious, and for the most part well done. The characters recognizable, but different enough that the novel’s more horror oriented and darker take sidesteps being trite. I think the weaker bits so far is that it takes some very cliche alternate takes on the characters. The sort of stuff everyone and their cousin have thought up. But it’s alright so far, for a genre mash-up and homage, and worth skimming into if you like the Scooby-Gang.

I started Ancillary Justice just before the holidays. I have trouble remembering who characters are by their names. So the whole thing they’re doing with gender pronouns is fucking with me a bit. I’m only a few chapters in so I’ll give it a few more to get going.

It’s well worth sticking with, you get used to the pronouns after a few chapters

Yeah… just read Dune and be done with it.

The sequels only expand the story beyond necessity.

I only have the first book and it’s hard to find the sequels in a secondhand bookstore… Probably only gonna read the first book… :grinning:

God Emperor of Dune is fantastic.
Shame on y’all :wink:

I was in that position… checks watch… 20 years ago, and I eventually got them all bar Dune Messiah second hand.

I was actually discussing this with a friend who was visiting for Christmas, he rates God-Emperor as the best of the sequels. Which I can’t argue against too vigorously, as at least it’s readable - the last time I tried to reread the whole saga I stalled out about 50 pages into Heretics, so at least I finished God-Emperor!.

I do think you can divide Dune into three 2-book series: Dune and Dune Messiah are very much Paul’s story, and apparently were a single volume in Herbert’s original manuscript; Children and God-Emperor are Leto II’s, and Heretics and Chapterhouse are shit.

I think Messiah and Children were probably more pragmatically done in the miniseries. I can see why people would rate the book versions as down grades.

No argument about Heretics and Chapterhouse. I like aspects of them but there’s really no purpose to them since all of the new stuff that is introduced seem rote.

There’s actually a bookstore here where they have all the Dune chronicles compiled into one book… It has an introduction by Neil Gaiman. It’s a very thick and very expensive book.