millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

There’s only one Robert. If you know who I’m talking about then maybe you can give @njerry a clue. He’s being silly now because J.D. Chandler is the name of the left ear of a cat in the next Murakami book. Cats can talk but they can’t tell stories very well.

I’ll give one last clue, and then Jerry will be all Scooby Dooed. The writer I’m talking about has something in common with the Queen and Lonesome Dove.

I think you’re keeping those clues under lock and key.

Okay, it’s time to show my cards; the answer is Strange Weather by Joe Hill. This guy is becoming as prolific as his dad!!

I thought he looked familiar! He gave me the second-best cuddle of my life, Jerry. A Kingsman cuddle. AND he said I had a very cool watch so I’m never not wearing it again ever ever. AND he took the time to tell me all about his writing process, so from now on all my words will be extra-shiny rather than leaves on the wind.

Life is very unfair. He should be my new best friend along with Aussie Thor and Korg and Valkyrie. Oh, and Mr. Robot! If you’re not reading, you should be watching the new series: it’s Legion-ary.

Are you understating? Molly, the Thing of Evil (his dog) is releasing a half-dozen novels next quarter!

Quite possibly the best novel I ever read. Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. Even though I am about 75 percent behind me, I can honestly say I never read anything like. The first impression wasn’t that good, though, because I found over-non-linearity distracting and too much characters cramped it, but ultimately got used to it and really not care anymore about the chronology of events.Brilliant satire about disasterous effect of bureucracy, madness and sanity, heroism, struggle for survival, war, faith… It’s hard for me to write an essay of it, 'cuz I don’t think I’d cover it all. The characters and situations are so ludicrous that I found myself pissing my pants and choking out of laugh a decent amount of times. And I believe that those two are something everyone can find the reflection of themselves in, one way or another.

Oh, and someone might be bothered, but I am not the person who can easily jump into it and lament, but I found a bit awkward that every female character here is either slut, sexually unhibited or shown as sexual object. Though I think it adds more to the whacked up tone of the novel. Of which I must say, despite being largely absurdist and ironic, the latter half of the novel, despite some random moments, such us the bombing of the airfield descends into a more somber, meditative, serious tone when characters question themselves, their motives, discuss about the nature of war, humanity, death etc.
Now, I hope I did it.

God, I love Catch 22. It definitely ranks as one of my favorite novels. The film is pretty amazing too. Also one of the best adaptations filmed.

Another coming soon:

I’m not a huge fan of Clooney as a director. This also feels a bit pointless. I don’t really see how 5-6 hours is going to improve the story much.

Well, the runtime is surely going to stick nearer Heller’s book. The book is tough cake to swallow. Catch 22 film might not be the best, it is done with incredible strength and very honest. Catch 22 is epic in scope and narrative and a lot of things are going on. But I agree that Clooney may is better choice to act, rather than to direct.

It took me over a month to complete David Foster Wallace’s 1449-page Infinite Jest, so now I’m reading Mickey Spillane’s Dead Street, a mere 154 pages in length.

Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler.

I have roughly 50 pages left. After this I think I’ll read either Pygmy by Palahniuk or Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami. Both will happen this winter, it more or less depends on how I’m feeling the day I finish Darkness at Noon ha.

I’m currently on the second book of David Brin’s New Uplift Trilogy. The first book got off to a very slow start, clearly paced for the trilogy rather than as its own story. This new book wasted a lot of time recapping the previous book as well but by now I’m invested in the characters so the pace is not as much of an issue. Hopefully he’ll pick it up a bit though. I typically really like his novels but I don’t think this series is one of his stronger efforts.

I haven’t read this one but its loose sequel Dance Dance Dance is one of my favorite Murakami novels.

If you like murakami, you should definitely track down wild sheep chase. It’s an absolutely fantastic book!

Awesome, I’ll check that one out as well. I’ve read “After Dark” and "Hard-boiled Wonderland…"
I’ve been reading him about once a year now. Usually around winter. For some reason his novels feel right in the winter.

That’s very true. He’s one of my all-time favorite authors. The books of his I love the most are Kafka on the Shore (my 2nd favorite novel, after Blood Meridian), The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and After Dark.

What did you make of Infinite Jest? Did it live up to its reputation?

Read Persepolis Rising, the new Expanse novel. As good as I’ve come to expect from them.

I didn’t know anything about the book beforehand, so the 30-year time jump since the last one surprised me. Looking forward to seeing where they go with the final two books.

One of the best things about Infinite Jest is that It is written in a unique way that is exciting and full of vitality, jumping around between various characters and various points in time. There are some great conversational dialogues so well written that you really get to know the characters by what they say and the way they say it. There are other parts that are just a continuous stream of consciousness from one character or another, just one huge paragraph that goes on for six or more pages without a break. It truly is a brilliant book that lives up to its reputation, and I’ll probably tackle it again one day (maybe when I’m retired).

I do have one complaint about the book, which I’ll put in spoilers in case someone plans on reading it. There are many compelling plotlines in the book, but none of them are resolved by the end of the book. For instance, in the first chapter we discover something very disturbing about one of the main characters. Then the rest of the book takes place during the previous year and we follow that character, waiting to see what happens to him that makes him change into the person we met in the first chapter – but that revelation never occurs. I expected that, at the very least, we would learn this fact, but Wallace apparently chose to make this a very nontraditional narrative.