millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

Come to think of it I do now remember that bit in Remains Of The Day where Stevens cunningly resolves a tricky question of etiquette by deploying the Omega Sanction.

Rereading the entire Harry Potter Heptology, from a Campbellian viewpoint.

I read A Pale View of the Hills and An Artist of the Floating World back at uni. I remember liking them, but you know how some books kind of vanish from memory? That’s what happened with these two.

I didn’t understand any of that…Just don’t hurt yourself, okay…

It’s all the rage nowadays, reading the Harry Potter series from the perspective of supermodel Naomi Campbell.

World War Z by Max Brooks (Audible version)

Epistolary novels are really tough to write. Either the text itself or the voice of the text (and preferably both) must be interesting in some way. Brooks manages this intermittently with the subject but rarely the with voice.

There are some smart ideas here, and the research matches the huge ambition. However, nothing really stood out about what would be the biggest ever human catastrophe, and there was a lack of coherence or connection between the clips of dull reportage, which is a real missed opportunity.

I can imagine zombie-lovers lapping this up because there’s quite a range of scenarios covered, and Brooks should be applauded for that.

Yeah I felt similar about it. Didn’t help that a lot of the voices sounds the same.

The Audible version helped here because several voice actors were used, and they made a good fist of the material they were given.

Heptology is a work of seven parts, like a trilogy is for a work of three parts… Hepta- in Ancient Greek means “Seven”. So we can refer to “George R.R. Martin’s planned Song of Ice and Fire Heptology” Campbell is Joseph Campbell- I’m reading the Heptology looking at it as the Monomyth- I’m watching Crash Course Mythology, and they’re currently in a series of Videos about Heroes, so when I decided to reread the Heptology, I was struck by how when Hagrid tells Harry “Yer a wizard”, there is a clear reflection of the Call to Adventure and The Refusal of the Call.

That might have been a bit of teasing on my part. Sorry buddy.

I am familiar with Joseph Campbell. Never got into Harry Potter though. I think that I was a wee bit too old for it to have any appeal when it came along.

No. No, you’re not.

And neither was I!

My wife generally bemoans my complete lack of knowledge of children’s literature. We never had a lot of kids books at home. I grew up reading a lot of my father’s books, which is why I read all of the Ian Fleming James Bond novels at far too young an age.

Harry Potter was my Childhood (well, it and Pokemon-which I am still a fan of today.). Those where what I was interested in before I got into comics (and later, Linguistics) The first few books are “Children’s Lit”, sure, but the later books straddle the line between “YA Lit” and “Adult Lit”. The later books were indeed marketed to adults too. In fact, when he was cast as Snape in the Movies, Alan Rickman fell in love with the books so much that he said he would still read them when he was 80 (an age he never reached)

I read the first one. It seemed to be too much about fitting in and the importance of having friends to get through my cynical exterior.

That said, I have friends who are bit younger than me who feel about Harry Potter the way I do about Indiana Jones, Back to the Future and the original Star Wars trilogy.

That was the brilliance of Harry Potter. I was working at B&N through almost the entire release schedule. It was interesting to see the readers grow with the books and how Rowling purposefully staged it that way.

It also single handedly created the proliferation of YA literature. It went from being a single bay in the kids’ department to it’s own section that attracted big name talent and was the only area of books that was growing for a long time. I’ve been out of the game for a while so I don’t know if the trend continued.

Reading VALIS for the first time. Holy shit this book is full of ideas. The first 40 pages is almost no plot at all, just narration about the main character’s various delusions and philosophies. It’s pretty amazing that it remains an engaging read, and that I sympathize very much with Horselover Fat (how’s that for a name?).

I tried to read VALIS once but finally just became frustrated and quit with the conclusion that I don’t take nearly enough drugs to understand Dick’s headspace. :wink:

It’s a very strange, but utterly captivating book. How much of the background to its’ genesis do you know? I don’t want to go into too much detail if it winds up spoiling things.

No one does Ronnie. Literally no one. :wink:

Not a lot, but I know Fat is possibly a stand in for himself and the pink light thing actually happened to him, althouhg reflected off a crucifix not from a clay pot. I also figure the quotations from Fat’s exegesis are from PKD’s own. And the divine, dead female twin he mentions is likely referencing his own dead twin sister.