millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

The first book it’s easy to read it like that. But he wrote the second book the same way.

Crime and Punishment

One of my favourite novels.

Even though it’s a rip-off of Colombo :expressionless:

Probably as relevant here as anywhere:

The Obelisk Gate was great; I just bought the final part of the trilogy today.

Nice to see The Expanse get some recognition in the “BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – SHORTFORM” category too, though I probably would have picked San Junipero.

The Hugos are voted on by the membership of Worldcon, and they’ll have the voting stats up in a couple of hours, I wouldn’t be surprised if San Junipero came close.

Also, this was the first year of the Best Series award, and the first year with the anti-slating mechanisms added to the nomination stage after two years of sabotage by reactionary types.

Glad to see Monstress win. Well-deserved.

What is the difference between a novella and a novelette?

Well, Coates BP is bullshit, so…

Word count. The non-novel fiction awards are split in three because of the wide ranging length of short fiction in SF magazines.

Flash Fiction: 53 - 1,000 words

Short Stories: 3,500 - 7,500

Novellettes: 7,500 - 17,000

Novellas: 17,000 - 40,000

Novels: 40,000 + words

Here’s the Hugo nomination stats, which go into a bit of detail about the changes to the nomination process and how it effected the final shortlist.

http://www.worldcon.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/HugoReport2_nominations.pdf

And here’s the Hugo voting stats

http://www.worldcon.fi/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/HugoReport1_voting.pdf

The Expanse was a good 200 votes ahead of San Junipero during the elimination phase, but San Junipero maintained at least 100 votes over The Door during the first count, and only extended that lead in the count for second place.

Note that there’s an option to vote for No Award to be given, this rarely wins, but it won a number of categories in 2015 as a reaction to the slates run by the so-called Sad Puppies and Rabid Puppies. The handful of nominations which finished below No Award are the handful of Puppy nominations which remained popular enough to make it onto the shortlist.

Reading Master Eckhart, a Christian mystic. It is not easy to follow, but very poetic.

So, apparently “The Mule” from Foundation and Empire is my favorite thing of the series so far…Apparently somewhat overlooked how many parallels that can be found in the later Star Wars saga?

And in addition, On the Origin of Species

And also The Korean Language and An Introduction to the Uralic Languages

Stephen King’s novella The Body – Gordie LaChance has one of the best lines of all time.

He really does.

Fortunately The Milk is a fun children’s book by Neil Gaiman. A tall tale shaggy dog story filled with amusing and silly situations (some of which feel fairly familiar and many of which are milked slightly too much - pun intended), but with just enough of a raised eyebrow and tongue in cheek to get away with having such a brass neck (if that isn’t mixing one metaphor too many). Enjoyable stuff.

Yeah my kids love Fortunately The Milk. I have had many requests to re-read it.