millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

There is a review of it here that chimes with my recollections of it:

It can be a bit dry and academic in places (as Eco often can), but I remember getting a lot out of it - particularly the sections that deal with translating poetry, and how many different aspects of the structure of a poem a translator needs to be aware of to fully do it justice. It was a really thought-provoking book.

Hmmm… to be honest, the pile of “to read” goes higher and higher and becomes seemingly insurmountable at times - it doe sound like something I’d be interested in though.

It’s not hugely long, if that helps. It’s more a collection of essays/lectures than a full academic book.

That sort of helps - I’m still in the middle of another book of essays/commentaries called “If I could tell you just one thing”. - and I like having little things to read while I have a coffee or am lounging on my beanbag. I had sort of planned to pick up one of Dave (Foster) Wallace’s collections, but that might be a good interim provided I can pick it up pretty easily.

I’ve found increasingly that it’s nice to have a book like that on the go while you tackle longer stuff.

(Despite not enjoying Franzen’s novels that I’ve read, I enjoyed his collection of essays and journalistic pieces, How To Be Alone, for example. Easy to dip in and out of.)

I may be lowering the tone by saying this, but I’m always a fan of PG Wodehouse’s short stories for a palette cleaner (Goodbye to All Cats and Uncle Fred goes to Town are both hilarious), and Pure Drivel by Steve Martin.

And Star Trek paperbacks.

Yeah - I have historically rejected e-books and kindles, but I made the plunge this year with the idea that carrying a Kindle around would be a good “idle reading” vehicle. I haven’t found that though - when I pleasure-read or relax-read I tend to like the tactile stuff. I’ve ended up using the kindle almost solely for books that would just be too big to carry around (although, I still plan to buy Jerusalem in hard-copy).

PG Wodehouse is never lowering the tone. :slight_smile:

(It’s been years since I read any Wodehouse, but I loved it as a kid.)

I’m reading Jerusalem with i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e slowness, because it’s too big to carry round.

And because I have to have a stop and think at the end of each chapter.

Sure - or is it because that after finishing every chapter Alan Moore is able to hijack your body for nefarious supernatural purposes?

I used to have a fair amount of French. Nowadays I’m doing well to comprehend Ratatouille. I could just about read a comic in French if the pictures were really big.

It means “vegetable stew” :slight_smile:

Brad Bird is a pretty good chef. :slight_smile:

I can’t look for it right now, but I read an article or two about this. Rubin said all the English words were his, the names and locations were Murakami’s. There was an interesting anecdote about glasses.

Rubin has turned down some of the work because he didn’t feel a strong enough affinity for it.

The Atlantic had a good article about how 1Q84 was translated.

Brad Bird is a pretty good chef.

He’s an incredible one. :sunglasses:

:stuck_out_tongue:

For her birthday this weekend, I bought my daughter three of my favorite books that I read in the past few years:
because she currently lives in Boston, and Lehane is one of my favorite writers;

because it is such a sweet, revealing book that took me completely by surprise; and

because the writing, the main character, and the story still haunt me three years after I read it.

Of those, I’ve read only Meany, and I fully concur.

Yeah. “A Prayer for Own Meany” is one of those novels that everybody should’ve read at some point in their lives.

Arthur C Clarke’s A Fall of Moondust. A decent wee disaster story with an interesting but not overly complex cast of characters. I love this 50s/60s style hard sci if. No fucking about, gets right to the point and rattles along at an entertaining pace.