millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

Is it fiction, or autobiographical non-fiction?

It doesn’t say. The author’s bio bit inside the cover doesn’t say whether or not she is a bee so who knows?! :smile: The whole book feels weirdly plausible. I keep thinking “You know what? That might actually be how bee society works.”

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

I know @njerry is a fan of Hard Case Crime ( as I am). I saw this and thought you might be interested.

Cheers, Simon.

I first discovered the Hard Case Crime imprint when Stephen King released his _Colorado Kid_novella through them as a show of his support for the line. More recently he released Joyland through HCC as well. Hard Case does a yeoman’s job of keeping in print the work of veteran writers like Ed McBain, Lawrence Block, and Donald Westlake, as well as contemporary writers like Richard Aleas, Christina Faust, and Max Allan Collins.

And those covers…!!!

I haven’t read The Colorado Kid. I loved Joyland. Wonderful read, and it did have a cool cover.

For me it was the old out of print Donald Westlake stuff (Somebody Owes me Money is great) The covers are great…although sometimes a little embarrassing to read on public transport.

What I call the Richard Morgan effect

Been trying to conquer Mark Helprin’s Winter’s Tale for a week now. The first part (of four) was a slog, but part two fairly flew by. I’m glad I kept up with it, can’t wait to see how all the characters end up meshing.

How’d you find Children Of Time, @Lorcan_Nagle? I thought it even nailed the ending, myself.

I liteally just finished it this morning, and it’s a book I’ll have to think a lot about. That last chapter or two are abrubpt, but they work. And I’ve no idea if it’s a happy ending or not. I like that.

I just want to say the reason I’m reading it is that I recently saw the Disney (which I happanned to enjoy) and I was curious as to how the story originally went down as a tragedy.

Read, and loved, Becky Chambers’ A Closed and Common Orbit, the semi-sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.

Almost no plot, but a very well-done science fiction story about an AI placed in a humanoid body, and a young clone who escapes from a labour camp.

I also listened to the audiobook of Philip Pullman’s Northern Lights, the first His Dark Materials book. Even darker than I remember, though some of the stuff is glossed over a bit too quickly, especially Roger’s death at the end, and the disappearance of the Gyptians halfway through the book..

I remember very little of the sequels from when I read them as a child, so I’m looking forward to getting stuck in to them.

They’re on my list to get, Long way to a Small, Angry Planet got a lot of hype in Hugo season last year.

My wife has the BBC Audio Adaptation of it. I haven’t listened to it in a while, but I remember it being pretty good. It has Terence Stamp as Lord Asriel.

Good to hear that. I was thinking about getting The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. Have you read it? If so, how was it?

I liked it, but I preferred this second one (which is only tangentially related to it). Both definitely worth reading, as long as a lack of plot doesn’t bother you.

Finally finished my re-read of The Stand, this time going for the revised and extended edition. Fantastic book - Stephen King seems to effortlessly maintain my interest for 1400 pages with the vast majority of it being characterisation.

I’m now 3/4s of the way thru Fellside, Mike Carey’s recent novel. I’m hooked, but there’s definitely some sections of the book I like reading over others. It is quite flawed, although still very good.

Yeah I felt the same way about Fellside. Plus I figured out where things were going long before they were revealed, which made the back half a bit of a disappointment.

Yeah I feel a lot of it was a bit telegraphed

I forgot to bring my book with me today which is annoying because I was almost finished it. But I used it as an excuse to buy another one. The first short story in it is seemingly what the book I forgot is based on. I almost brought it back to the shop until I realised. I thought I’d accidently bought the same book twice.