millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

That’s why I deliberately didn’t suggest the 1926 anthology! Geez, some people :angry:

“Hey, girl. Come on over here for a bit. We ought to palaver, you and me.”

New from Zen Pencils: KIng’s On Writing - The Desk:

http://zenpencils.com/comic/king/

Oh! That’s awesome, Smiley’s People is one of my favorite spy novels. (Odd that they didn’t mention that and went with The Honorable Schoolboy, where Smiley is a minor character, instead).

I’ve hyped up Children Of Time upthread quite a bit. That’s a great read, and not a saga particularly.

I started reading it earlier today. About 60 pages in and really enjoying it.

I have just finished Our Game and I read his memoirs recently…I will look forward to this.

I’ve actually read very little Le Carre. What’s a good place to start?

Tinker Tailer Soldier Spy is great but a little dry, if you like it then the Smiley Saga is continued in The Honorable Schoolboy and Smiley’s People. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is also really good.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that rare thing…It is a movie that works better if you read the book.

But I agree with all of your recommendations. I remember liking The Perfect Spy quite a bit as well.

Are you referring to the recent movie or the original with Alec Guiness?

The movie.

The TV series with Alec Guinness was fantastic. The movie was also great, but had much less room to breathe.

Yeah honestly, I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie. It made some pretty significant changes that I thought were completely unnecessary and weakened it (like making Peter gay). I also thought it went out of its way to be difficult to follow at time. My wife was completely bored out her mind during it because she couldn’t follow the plot.

I liked it but I wonder if that was because I had already read the book and seen the TV series. It was more the pleasure of seeing Gary Oldman play Smiley, Colin Firth as Bill Haydon. It was almost a cover version.

Yeah it had an absolutely stunning cast. There wasn’t a bad one in the bunch.

The TV show is one of the best things I’ve ever watched. Smiley’s People is even better than Tinker Tailor, IMO.

It’s a bit like The Ipcress File but infinitely more tense (and requiring a lot more concentration).

Yeah I agree, though I’m biased because I also thought Smiley’s people was the better book. I was disappointed that Peter was recast though as I really liked the actor from Tinker Tailor.

Not read the George Smiley books, but have read a few of the others. All really enjoyable, but also strangely forgettable, for me. I think it’s the convoluted plots, they don’t lend themselves to summing up the story very easily! That and I have a terrible memory…

I’m a Trojan War guy. So it was disappointing to read a bad Trojan War book, The Song of Achilles. Helps to not be familiar with the Trojan War, I think, to read that one. The writer embellishes at her discretion, but doesn’t really have a clue what she’s doing.

So I’m reading a book called The Bees which is aobut bees and told from a bee’s perspective. It is, to be frank, pretty weird. I keep reading it, getting sucked into it, only to stop every so often and go “Oh, wait, these are all bees. Isn’t that weird.”