millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I haven’t read these for years. Maybe not since 3001 came out. Glad they hold up. I remember enjoying 2010 quite a bit.

The 2001 movie is well worth checking out, but you can probably afford to give 2010 a miss. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know I should see it sometime. Oddly, I’ve only ever seen two Kubrick films: A Clockwork Orange, and Dr. Strangelove.

When I was in middle school my buddies and I tried to watch 2001, but the intro with the primates around the obelisk put us off, as it seemed to go on for ages to our pubescent minds.

Oh, it does go on for ages. :slight_smile:

:confused:

Reading the Author’s Note at the beginning of 2001 was interesting; I hadn’t realized that the novel and film were written simultaneously, with each influencing the development of the other (given that Clarke wrote the screenplay too), and that that was the rather unorthodox plan to begin with. I’ve never heard of a similar situation anywhere else!

Yes, I’ve always found that interesting. There are quite a few differences between the two.

If I remember rightly, the book sequels continue on from the movie more than the first book, right? So they revolve around Jupiter rather than Saturn (as in the first book).

Yep exactly. There were several major differences, it seems, that the sequel adopted from the film. Didn’t seem to harm anything as far as I could tell.

If you haven’t read it, I recommend Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon.

Clarke viewed each of the Odyssey books as a separate story which follows on from events in their own universes that are similar but not identical to the ones in the preceding books as a means towards explaining continuity issues (such as 2001 being about Saturn, and the rest being about Jupiter)

And The Corner. But goddamn that’s a depressing book.

Yeah, I’m sure both of these would be much better. When my monthly limited selections get reupped for scribd, i’ll see if either are available.

Interesting cop-out. Sounds like he should be writing comics!

I actually have a physical copy of that Wire guidebook and I quite enjoyed it, but I went in with full knowledge of what it was…

To be fair, the only book that didn’t have a gap of 10 or more years between it and its predecessor is 2061. Even leaving aside continuity gaffes and the change from Saturn to Jupiter, he wanted to take advantage of new scientific knowledge rather than stick to what was known in 1961 or 1982 for the later books.

That’s certainly fair enough. I’m in no way criticizing him, anyway, I’m quite used to these kinds of retcons, due to a certain other hobby of mine :wink:

Diving?

I’m ambivalent about this. The original trilogy started with one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read, had a very good middle chapter, and then utterly lost the plot. I mean that literally, he abandoned what the story seemed to be about and started a new one to push a random religious message that wasn’t even hinted at in the first books. It was like reading a comic series when the new writer retcons everything the last guy did and goes off in a bonkers new direction. That might have worked for Morrisson in Doom Patrol, but for Pullman not so much. The third book wasn’t badly written, and its ideas weren’t bad per se, it was just appended to the wrong trilogy. And so, in summary, a disappointing ending made worse by the start being so good.

Ok, rant over :slight_smile:

[quote=“davidm, post:1255, topic:28, full:true”]
I’m ambivalent about this. The original trilogy started with one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read, had a very good middle chapter, and then utterly lost the plot. I mean that literally, he abandoned what the story seemed to be about and started a new one to push a random religious message that wasn’t even hinted at in the first books.[/quote]
It’s been a while since I read it, but I remember there being quite a lot of references to the religious agenda in the first two books.

I quite liked that it introduced us to the world through gentle children’s fantasy stories and then opened up the sinister religious elements that had underpinned those stories and made them the focus of the final chapter.

It was a good rebuke to the Narnia stories. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the recommendation. I’m currently halfway through reading a Murakami book.

I can’t quite decide if I like him or not so next I plan to read everything he’s ever written - purely as an academic exercise. :slight_smile:

Honestly, that’s exactly how I still feel, even though I think I’ve read about 8 of his novels! I have a strong love/hate relationship with his prose, and for me, A Wild Sheep Chase was the closest I ever got to 100% satisfaction. I’ve taken a long break, but I think next month I’ll be reading a few more of his. Let’s compare notes, shall we?

Wait. What? No no no. You misunderstood. Sorry. I don’t like his prose – I love it. It’s beautifully written. That’s why I said I now want to read everything else. There’s always the possibility that I might not like the others though.

So please don’t lob things at my head @TMasters unless it’s a mug of coffee. I could use another coffee or six today.

Really?!? I read the first chapter of the first book and got that was the direction he was going. As a person of faith, it was a bit heavy handed for my taste. So I didn’t continue.

This part might’ve been a tad misleading :stuck_out_tongue:

Really? I’m honestly surprised. Unless maybe it takes a person of faith to pick up on metaphors that went right over my head. It might be interesting to read it again now, with knowledge of the ending, and see what I pick up that I missed first time round.

I mean, I got that all the bad guys were part of an evil church, that was made obvious from the start, but that’s fairly standard fare in fantasy works. No way did that lead me to expect the final reveals of how the world works.