millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

It and GitS are similar in theme more than anything else. Shirow was definitely channelling Gibson though.

And it’s three books, but they’re fairly loosely connected. You can read Neuromancer as a stand alone book and not lose anything. There are also three short stories in Burning Chrome set in the same universe

Neuromancer also directly references Johnny Nuemonic.

I’ve got a pretty new edition of Neuromancer. I think they’re releasing the second book next month? So I’ll probably pick them up as they come out if I like this one half as much as I’m expecting to.

Yeah, it, Burning Chrome and New Rose Hotel are all set in the Sprawl. Bobby Quine and Automatic Jack from Burning Chrome are similarly mentioned in Count Zero

I didn’t know there were new editions coming out! I have these 90s ones:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d9/Gibson_sprawl.jpg/250px-Gibson_sprawl.jpg

Oh wow! :laughing:
They are so nineties.

They looked really, really cool (and kinda still do) when I was 19.

There was this sweet as all hell hardback came out a few years ago, I was really tempted to get it

Honestly, I think The Matrix pulled as much or more from Neuromancer than Ghost in the Shell.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61J0NihG0tL.SL1500.jpg
The new edition is like that.

@RonnieM Well the Freeway Chase music in Reloaded was called Mona Lisa Overdrive.
I guess the Wachowskis aren’t close to the chest with their references. Unless it’s The Invisibles, that is. :wink:

Honestly I think the Matrix pulled as much from Doctor Who as it did from them.

That’s not a joke. An artificial reality called the Matrix comes directly from Doctor Who.

EDIT: Everyone references the Invisibles for the Matrix but a more likely source of inspiration was Ectokid from Marvels Clive Barker comic line. Especially considering it was written by the Warchoski Brothers.

I think the themes that the Matrix shares with Ghost in the Shell are also shared with Neuromancer, though there’s a lot of visual nods to GitS in The Matrix

The Invisibles stuff in The Matrix was never as prominent as Morrison made it out to be. Some of what he claimed was lifted was pretty thin, tbh, like comparing the squid robots to the Archons (none of whom look like squids…).

The stuff he lifted from Luther Arkwright, on the other hand… :wink:

The plagiarism idea was from a world of very limited communications. Nowadays it is difficult to sort influences and such, as seen in some dramatic strife in the rap community and IP lawsuits. Max Sheanin, who was head of the Psych Dept at LACC was the first to teach me about such, his doctoral work was on the effects of synchronicity across elements of learning. He was also my boss (three student jobs) and the guy who let me student teach. There are lots of factors to an idea, even things like population density and climactic change that influence the emergence of a concept or the time the same invention is made in several disparate places at nearly the same time. Something about a race to patent the telephone?

Anyway, looking for back story, I found Dr. Sheanin’s master’s thesis. Fascinating to know the changes he went through from 1947 USC to when I met him in 1972. Just for giggles! (BTW, I’m not positive, but it is just possible Max lived without the benefit of a sense of humor. Difficult man!)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p15799coll39/id/41274

They composed the music for a theatre staging in which Bargeld played the role of Mephisto.

I’ll have to remember to play a bit of this for the pupils.

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, which is actually an edition which contains his three novellas:Wendigo, Willows, and Descent into Egypt. Read first two, Egypt will do tomorrow. I must say I am not pleased. I picked it up because HPL cited Blackwood and his The Willows as significant influence. The openings are slow and rambling, and most is spent on describing the nature itself. And I found his prose rather boring. In both stories the reason behind each chilling mystery is left open for imagination. Yet, when it comes to terror passages, Blackwood shines. I am thinking to spend a weekend somewhere in the wild, with no human input, just to feel what writer is trying to say.

You’re going to spend the weekend at RNC headquarters?

Dear no. I am very anti-political☺️

A bittersweet article about Terry Pratchett as he approached the end of his life.

It sounds like the docudrama might make for interesting viewing.

Roadside Panic (Strugastsky bros.) - Audible audiobook version

Summary: There’a a brilliant short story somewhere in this mixed bag of a novel.

The narrative structure varies from great first person to a stilted third person, and back, in a seemingly arbitrary and jolting way. The action sequences are for the most part tense and thrilling, but the expository discussions/interviews are clumsy. The overarching idea is brilliant, but comes across as an afterthought rather than a reality check of the human condition. I would love to have seen a bit more use of the well thought out artifacts taken from the zone too. Strangely, there are passages which could be from any book about anything, revealing nothing about the characters or the story, and occasional out-of-place overly-detailed descriptions of someone taking a drink out of a flask, or wiping their nose.

The Audible narrator read in a laconic, noirish style, which suited the first person parts really well.

I’ll have to revisit Tarkovski’s movie adaptation. It’s been thirty+ years since I’ve since it, but I remember it leaving a slightly better impression on me than this.

I am three chapters (i.e. <10%) into Jerusalem, and it’s just so good… I can’t put my finger on why it’s so good, because to be honest I have no idea what it’s about.

The pool hall scene had me on the edge of my seat, and almost in tears, and grinning at the cleverness of it, and impressed with my cleverness in working out what it’s about … but that’s only because I think I know what’s going on, and I could be completely wrong :laughing:

I’m reading it fairly slowly, and it will probably take me weeks to finish it.