millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

Just read “In Plüschgewittern”, the Wolfgang Herrndorf’s debut novel. It’s an outsider’s story who fails to relate to other people or society in a wider sense, and who both revels in and despairs of this failure. It’s pretty good.

Untranslated though, which is why I should mention “Why We Took the Car” - Herrndorf’s later young adult novel, and the last one he finished before succumbing to a brain tumour. I just re-read that one for work, because I read it with a ninth class. It’s a really good YA readers novel.

Publishers Weekly:

German novelist Herrndorf makes his YA (and U.S.) debut with this action- and emotion-packed story of surprise summer adventure. When German eighth-grader Mike Klingenberg discovers that he’s among the few “Boring kids and losers… Russians, Nazis and idiots” who are not invited to his crush Tatiana’s birthday party, he is devastated. Mike is facing a miserable summer, with his mother in rehab and father away at a “business meeting” with his sexy assistant, when his new Russian classmate, Tschick (whom Mike considers “trash”), arrives at his house in a stolen car. An unlikely compatibility leads to a candy-fueled road trip, complicated by their lack of a map or cell phone. Driving all over Germany, the boys face conundrums like avoiding the police, buying gas and food when clearly underage, and vaguely seeking Tschick’s grandfather. Prepared by life to expect ill will, Mike and Tschick instead meet “almost only people from the one percent who weren’t bad.” Beginning at the end, with Mike narrating the explanation suggested by the title, this alternately wild, sad, hilarious, and tender tale chronicles the development of a strange and beautiful friendship.

Jerry, check out the sequels to Anno Dracula, The bloody Red Baron and Dracula Cha Cha. WWI Germany as a vampire nation was done well and Cha Cha spoofs Hollywood in the 50s and James Bond

I picked up William Peter Blatty’s novel DIMITER. Not really a sequel to the Exorcist, but it certainly seems to take place in the same realm. Certainly fits the same themes as LEGION and THE NINTH CONFIGURATION.

Written in that “best seller” style that really fits most of the popular novels from the time exorcist was written. Something you could read on a long flight to pass the time without being embarrassed to be seen with it.

Thanks for the recommendations. Right now I’m reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, which has a similar sensibility.

If the only other Murakami you’ve read is Hardboiled Wonderland (which is great) then read Norwegian Wood, which is a classic and probably his most well known - it’s not quite magical realism like the others can be but it’s a very powerful book.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronice is also a must read. People like Kafka on the Shore (I didn’t like it as much) and IQ84 is quite an undertaking so I’d recommend starting with some of his shorter stuff.

I will have to look for Norwegian Wood. You’re probably the third person to recommend that one next. I currently have “The Elephant Vanishes” and “A Wild Sheep Chase” from him on my shelf. So, out of pragmatism, I might read those unless I find “Norwegian Wood” soon-ish.

Here’s what I’ve come down to:

“Lullaby” - Chuck Palahniuk
"Lamb" - Christopher Moore
"The Wowzer" - Frank Wheeler Jr.
“Skinner” - Charlie Huston
"A Scanner Darkly" - Phillip K. Dick
"The Postman Always Knocks Twice" - James Cain

But I’m also contemplating a few re-reads…Like the truly indecisive person I am, I’ll probably assign each a number and bust out the D6 and roll my fate.

Yes.

By the fates it shall be determined.

I haven’t read any fiction at all this year. I’ve started to try to read about a half dozen.

Maybe I should try reading Murakami.

Pick one at random for me.

Norwegian Wood.

Isn’t it good Norwegian wood?

[quote=“Bernadette, post:1190, topic:28”]
Maybe I should try reading Murakami.

Pick one at random for me.
[/quote]Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

I love 1Q84, but as Tim stated above it is quite an undertaking. Wind-Up was my first Murakami, so that’s what I recommend you read first.

I’m reading Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I read The Great Gatsby twice… and I kind of regret having started this one. Maybe I’m too used to reading action packed novels, but this one seems to be slow even for my standards. His prose is beautiful as I knew it would be, but I could do with less descriptions of people socializing.

My haul from Amazon’s £10-off promotion arrived. Now I just need to decide what to read first…

I should read some Murakami again soon; I loved the Windup Wird chronicle, and I read his recent Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, which was less spectacular but sort of stayed with me in a lingering way.

But I’ve got some other stuff to read first - sort-of-for-work-y, I’ve got the short stories of Clemens Mayer to read, and definitely-for-work-y I have to re-read Goethe’s classic play Faust. Which I’m very much looking forward to doing, don’t get me wrong.

I have the Einstuerzende Neubauten radio version of that. It’s an interesting listen, though my German is not good enough to understand most of it.

I’ll read more Murakami after work.

For now I’m reading - The Trial of John Tuite, otherwise Captain Fearnought, for the murder of the Rev. George Knipe before the Hon. Judge Chamberlain (something, something unintelligible) summer(?) assizes 1799

Might seem like the opening chapter - it’s not even the full title of the book.

Price only sixpence halfpenny.

I started Live by Night. It’s interesting to see the divergences from the movie and then suddenly there’s a whole scene where Ben must have kept 90% of the dialogue.
I have the cast of the movie in my head, which is nice. It just means that I have to disregard every time it reminds me that the main character is short.

I’m kind of itching to start Neuromancer though.

One of my all-time favourite books!

How close is it to Ghost in the Shell?

That’s good to hear though. Your high opinion must mean that it holds up.
It’s only a trilogy, right? Just three books?

I’ll add my praise for Neuromancer. Gibson is one of the few authors that I will pick up any new novels almost immediately.

I wouldn’t say it’s very similar to Ghost in the Shell except for maybe themes and settings. Gibson’s trilogies tend to not be direct trilogies but all happen in the same world with themes that run through them.