millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

LMAO, funny enough, there’s an article in this month’s issue about herbal pills for erectile dysfunction all being total crap.

The Austronesian Languages of Asia and Madagascar

[quote=“KalmanL, post:1144, topic:28, full:true”]
The Austronesian Languages of Asia and Madagascar
[/quote]The TV miniseries was awesome!!!

Just finished ‘Children Of Time’ by Adrian Tchaikovsky, winner of the Arthur C Clarke award. Brilliant, brilliant sci-fi book, with an excellent start, middle and ending. Can’t recommend it enough.

Got ‘Flowers For Algernon’ for Christmas, along with Jerusalem and a John Christopher novel. Just starting Champagne and Wax Crayons before I get onto them:

It’s been on my wish list for a while - thanks for pushing it up to the top :slight_smile:

Oh? Which one?

The Guardians. Death of Grass is one of my favourite books, so looking forward to another by him (have only read the one and found it as good as John Wyndham, who’s another favourite).

I loved The Guardians back then. Great concept.

Weirdly, there was a German TV mini based on that novel.

We had a series of The Tripods over here in the early 80s. Watched it again recently, but had to give up as the acting of the kids was like the first Harry Potter, but without any stage school training. :frowning:

I know that there are a lot of fans of Patrick Ness around here (@Bernadette and @Mike for instance).

There was a pretty good interview with him on this morning’s Dave Fanning show. It is mostly about the movie adaptation of A Monster Calls, but goes into a couple of interesting digressions. I was interested to hear that one of the stories from The Crane Wife was actually true.

You can listen to the interview or download it at this link.

Started reading William Goldman’s THE PRINCESS BRIDE. Even funnier than the film, if that is possible.

Yeah, I watched some of that back in the eighties on German TV, but I never really got into it back then, mostly because I’d read the novels and the show didn’t come anywhere close to the things in my head.

Whereas the Guardians series I think I saw before I’d read any Christopher, and it was the first time I encountered a dystopian scenario, I think, so it was a bit mind-blowing.

One of the things I remember quite vividly was the riots that the authorities allowed to happen (or even instigated) so that people would blow off steam. A bit like Hate Week in 1984.

I started reading The Hobbit to my daughter at bedtime last night. It’s been many years since I read it last (at least a decade, maybe 13 or 14 years now) and I’d forgotten how light and fun it was - particularly compared to Lord of the Rings, which I always found a lot harder going. I think I’m going to enjoy revisiting it.

How old’s your daughter, Dave? Looking forward to that stage - mine’s 3 and we’re really enjoying Enid Blyton, but I secretly can’t wait for Dahl, C.S Lewis and Tolkein…

She’ll be 6 in a couple of months.

We’ve devoured most of the Dahl canon now (although The Witches is still a bit too scary for her - maybe in a couple of years). We also read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe last year and she quite enjoyed it, but it can be hard for her to concentrate on those wordier stories at bedtime when she’s tired.

Still, she seemed to get on ok with the first dozen or so pages of The Hobbit - her eyes lit up when Gandalf arrived (as she already knows him from the Lego Dimensions video game! It’s funny to think of kids today getting to know these classics through those kinds of routes), so I was pleased he showed up so early in the book to capture her interest.

The scary or age-inappropriate bits can be tricky with Dahl, I’ve found. They did a great animated version of Revolting Rhymes over Christmas, and we let her watch it as she’s had the book read to her … but he’s a bit gleeful about putting characters through bad times. There’s a cheeky / mean streak to Dahl which is perfect for things like Tales of the Unexpected, but things like The Magic Finger read a little bit like horror for 3 year olds. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s a fine line. Some of the nasty bits she loves, but some of it just goes that little bit too far.

I missed that Revolting Rhymes adaptation at Christmas - it was one of my favourite Dahl books as a kid.

It was absolutely superb - like Stick Man, Gruffalo’s child etc - that CGI style that makes itself look painterly. Best animated kid’s thing I think I’ve seen (might be because I also loved the book).

“The small girl smiles … one eyelid flickers…”

What’s more, they made some effort into making it look like Quentin Blake:

That’s one of the things I love about The Hobbit and was disappointed with in the films. I know there were people who enjoyed them and that they were different things but they were just a bit too different for me.