millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

That chapter alone is why I’ve never finished reading the whole trilogy. I’ve gotten that far three times and it sucked the soul right out of me.

Neverwhere isn’t my favorite book, that honor goes to Ender’s Game, but it’s definitely in my top 5.

Sorry. I meant favorite Gaiman book. :wink:

The Best of Bova by Ben Bova, which is the first volume of his collected short stories. I’m not sure if volume 2 will be the second-best or what :confused:

I think Bova is probably the best of the contemporary* hard-SF writers who still write in the traditional style. Most of these stories could have been written by Asimov or Clarke 20 years earlier. If that description appeals to you, you won’t be disappointed by this collection. If it doesn’t … well, there’s really no hope for you :stuck_out_tongue:

( * You know that by “contemporary” I mean most of these stories are from the 60s and 70s, right? :smiley: )

I find Bova’s novels very hit or miss but I don’t think I’ve ever read any of his short stories.

Trying to remember one novel of Bova’s that was quite good - mostly used to him as Editor! :slight_smile:

Ah, yes. Thanks, Wiki. His Mars - out around the same time as Stan Robinson’s Red Mars (which is a classic). The Moonrise duo was a bit of all right, but rang of too much trying to be a franchise.

A hitherto unpublished Robert Anton Wilson book will be released early next year. It looks to be from or about the time that he and Tim Leary were convinced they were in communication with aliens from Sirius.

The Name of the Wind - I finished this during a slow period at work and it was so good I bought the second novel on my way home and immediately started reading it on the bus. Patrick Rothfuss is a terrific writer. He has a masterful command of language and is an expert world-builder and character writer. Kvothe is, I think, one of the great fictional characters. I can’t wait to continue his adventures at the University in The Wise Man’s Fear. My only complaint is that Denna, Kvothe’s love interest, could be annoying at times. But that’s minor, because at other times she’s kickass. Literally everything else about this 700-page tome was incredible.

I enjoyed The Circle.

It’s quite paranoid though.

I think the film is going to suck though, and not because it’s a maladaption, but just because I don’t think it’s a great story for a film.

Stephen King “End of Watch”

My last novel of 2016 is Anno Dracula by Kim Newman, which predates Alan Moore’s LOEG series by 7 years but is thematically similar. It takes place in London in 1888, in a timeline where Van Helsing failed to kill Dracula, who subsequently marries Queen Victoria and becomes Prince Regent of the UK. Really great read, peppered with fictional characters and real historical figures of that era. I love this shit – how can you not love a Dracula story that includes Mycroft Holmes, Fu Manchu, Oscar Wilde, Bram Stoker, Bill Sykes and Hawley Griffin?

There are 3 or 4 other books in the series but none of them ever quite recapture the magic of Anno Dracula.

There’s a comic series starting soon too.

true, but i enjoyed the introduction of Hamish Bond in the 3rd book. Judgement of tears/Dracula Cha Cha Cha

Finally got around to something called A Tale of Two Cities. Apparently it was the best of times and the worst of times?

How can it be the best of times and the worst of times? That’s very sloppy writing. The writer needs to join the write-offs and get some serious peer reviewing of his work, we’d catch nonsense like that straight away.

My exciting holiday reading: The Federalist Papers. I have no idea how I got this far without being required to read them.

Audible has been my book-reading saviour this year; I just don’t have the time to read as much as I’d like (especially with me trying to catch up on years of missed comics). I listen on the commute (traffic jam crawl) to and from work, so I get 1.75 to 2 hours ‘reading’ done per day.

I’m listening to John Irving’s excellent ‘A Prayer for Owen Meany’ at the moment. The narrator is absolutely brilliant.

[quote=“DrewEricsson, post:1120, topic:28”]
I’m listening to John Irving’s excellent ‘A Prayer for Owen Meany’ at the moment. The narrator is absolutely brilliant.
[/quote]Of the 38 books I read this year, “Owen Meany” is my favorite. Does the narrator do justice to Owen’s voice?

My favorite line from a book this year: “He came in slowly, like someone else’s cat.”