millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I finished Hourani’s History of the Arab people and it urged me to read more about Islam, next up is Lex Hixon’s Heart of the Quran, which is kind of a free, poetic translation of some main passages in the quran, thematically ordered.

Wow, 50 years of unpublished work :scream::scream::scream:

Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords and Ladies and Men at Arms will always be Pratchett’s best phase for me. I love every single one of these books, and felt back then that it went downhill for a bit after that (with Soul Music falling flat for me, and Masquerade and Feet of Clay recycling the same ideas once too often) and took a while until he got really back on track.

So I did a re-read of The Damnation Game by Clive Barker after someone here inspired me to do so. I really enjoyed it. I remember struggling a bit with the language the first time I read it, but I guess I’m a little less dumb now, and so found a new appreciation for the fancy words. I love Barkers ideas, he’s really bonkers. Favourite line in the book - “The monster was brewing camomile.” :rofl:

That was me!

EDIT: Delete

I haven’t read the guy’s book, but it’s always on the chart shelves here:

Handbook of American Indian Languages

Too outdated, half of it is a polemic against “scientific racism”.
So
History of the Yiddish Language
And
An Introduction to Islam for Jews

No novels these days but a book on learning the computer language Python.

I know boring but I want to get into a nice book. Have to go to the big bookstore, browse around and think

The Lost Princess and Other Kabbalistic Tales of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Just picked up a Kindle digital copy of all E.E. “Doc” Smith’s works (the five Lensman books, the four Skylark, and a couple others). Price? 55¢.

I should expect any sci-fi fans (scientifiction, at time of original publication) to consider this the finest offer ever. This is cheaper than pulp “dime novels”!!!

Go get it!

It

Back to my Chronological (mostly re) readthrough of Stephen King and I’m onto the 3rd of the Bachman books Roadwork which I’ve never read before.

Like Rage and The Long Wall I can’t quite believe how good it is.

I’m completely and utterly engrossed in it, such is the quality of his character writing in here.

I’d hoped to get to re-reads of Pet Semetry and IT before the movies come out, but given my slow reading pace and stack of stuff I have to dip in and out of, I can’t see that happening.

Roadwork is superb though. I love how he telegraphs it right from the start and that feeling of doom from the seemingly inevitable really adds to the suspense rather than the opposite.

Really liked the book, thought both adaptations sucked.

Annihilation - For such a short read (208 pages), this book was a bit of a labor. The entire book was written as a first person narrative with a bit of a journaling approach. The effect is similar to the opening accounts of Dracula. It was dense at times but not necessarily in a good way. In an effort to obscure details for later revelation, it was often frustrating. The story itself was interesting and once finished made more sense but could have had a bit better hook. Has anyone else read subsequent books in the trilogy? Does it flesh things out any better? I had assumed the film adaptation would have hit Netflix by now but its still has not. I can’t say the book would be on my recommended list.

Though the first did give us the gift of Tim Curry as Pennywise:

This is also the first Stephen King book I’ve read.
Also, there’s a theory that King set his universe in the same as a childhood favorite (though not as a favorite like Harry Potter):

The Seven Beggars and Other Kabbalistic Tales of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

Kevin J. Anderson’s Death Warmed Over is actually much better than I expected it to be. I guess a good writer is a good writer, regardless of the subject matter.

One day I must finish the Saga of the Seven Suns. I think I finished 4 of 7.