millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

To be honest it seems quite fair so far in the way it handles stuff. How did you find it @RonnieM?

It’s far more diplomatic than the 2000ad version where they are very happy to rip into people but despite that it’s a recommended read Chris. Its very well researched and you do find out a lot of behind the scenes stuff you’d not have known.

Mostly Stan Lee comes out of it pretty poorly. Not so much for the Kirby stuff but because he was a company Yes man who never stood up for his friends and co-workers.

There’s a decent amount but it tries to be pretty even handed.

The Complete Fiction of H.P. Lovecraft

Is it the Complete and Unabridged version (swirly image on the cover)? If so they lie. It’s not complete, it’s missing some of his stories (including one of my favorites).

It’s a good design. Bit of a shame that the whole books is a rip-off of a cartoon strip that another writer/artist did ages ago:

He even pretty much ripped off the title - Vermes’ book is called “Er ist wieder da” in German, and Moers’ book was called “Adolf - Ich bin wieder da”.

I had no idea that was the case!

It is. The problem is the overt racism in his early work. Sometimes it’s so bad it removes me from the mood.
Anyway, I’m also reading The Romance Languages

Pretty much nobody does, even over here in Germany. Moers’ cartoons have been very successful in their own way, but they’re still a bit of an underground thing.

Well I know now thanks for the info!

GUEST_490cb303-72fb-4939-91c5-911f67ba77bf

Ruthanna Emrys is really growing as a writer. She’s one of the authors who are re-working Lovecraft’s ideas in ways that would probably not find favour with the old fashioned, racist, sexist originator himself.

This book is the second novel (and third story, the first being a short) and it’s a big improvement on the first novel even though I enjoyed a lot about that book.

She’s an engaging writer, she has something to say and her characters are generally pretty interesting, but the first novel (Winter Tide) struggled with pace and plotting. This one works a lot better in those areas.

As a matter of personal taste I could do with less of the borderline New Age magic, but it’s part of the world she wants to create so I’ll go along with it for now, as I’m enjoying the rest.

It’s interesting to find a new writer as they’re becoming a writer, rather than picking up when they’ve been going for years.

She’s already branching out and working on other fiction, but her “Innsmouth Legacy” books are the ones I’ll follow for now. I hope she keeps them going for a long time.

Leviathan Wakes by James Corey.

This is the best proper SF I’ve read in a long time. It doesn’t break any new ground, but it uses its hard SF elements really well. And unlike a lot of traditional SF, it has proper characters too, people who seem real and you actually care about. And there are moments of genius like the space battle described entirely from the point of view of people stuck deep inside a massive battleship, who can only deduce events from the noise and from the way they know space battles work. And then in a total Joss Whedon move, one of the characters you think is pretty important (Shed) just randomly dies from something nobody can see coming and nobody can stop. So of course in the next battle, when another character you really like puts himself in a dangerous position you’re sure the writer has marked him for death (but he survives, just to completely mess with you) .

Overall I’m really impressed. I don’t know the name James Corey (a pen name for two other people I also don’t know), so I’m not sure if this is a first novel but if it is it’s a hell of a debut.

It’s part one of a series, and it doesn’t need to be – it’s self-contained and I’m perfectly happy with how it ends – but I’ll pick up the rest of the series simply because I think the writer(s) is that good.

The Expanse is such a good series, I’m totally hooked. and the TV show is great too!

One of them had written stuff before; the other was mostly known as George R. R. Martin’s assistant (which I think he still is).

The Korean Language

Nietzsche’s Also Sprach Zarathustra

Got round to finishing Revenger.

Hadn’t read anything by him before so this proved a fun read. It’s set in the far, far future and recasts piratical adventure into a SF setting. Part of what makes it work is the sense that, like the characters, you never have the full set of info on how this world works. You get enough to make sense of it all, but much of it is rarely spelled out explicitly. At the same time it is not a book that romanticises pirates, far from it. It is not a profession to go into with an expectancy of continued life.

At the same time there are some really fucked up ideas in this book. Like drugs that delay the onset of puberty to enable parents to keep their children as children. Reynolds’ hints at this early on and then reveals the full horror of it all later.

And then there is space - which really ought top of the environments marked Not For Humans.

Good stuff.

I really enjoyed Revenger. I tend to run hot and cold on Reynolds but this was one of my favourites

The sequel Shadow Captain is out next month.