millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I’ve seen the TV series, so I’ve some idea what to expect, but yeah.

The show left me emotionally drained and the final montage and interview sequence had me in tears.

The book digs deeper into the institutional issues, there’s a chapter which goes into detail about statistically how and when the public school system in Baltimore will fail the kids in it, and it’s so mechanical and heartbreaking.

I am trying to read The Eye of Argon, as it has been chosen as the new subject of the 372 Pages podcast after the two Ernest Cline books.

Dear god it is terrible, I burst out laughing on the first paragraph.

There’s a reason reading it out loud is a group event at SF conventions…

Obviously. I am trying to read it out loud, but bwahahaha,

The book’s cover should have been a hint:
eye%20of%20argon

Mood and Modality

One of Jane Austen’s lesser known works.

It’s actually a Linguistic monograph about the Linguistic category of Mood.

Why did Jane Austen write about that?

Sparrowhawk is Ged

She apparently lived long enough to quote a monograph about mood in the Ethiopian language Afar written in 1981.

Is there anything that woman couldn’t write about. Truly a literary treasure.

Never read the complete Series of Unfortunate Events, so am reading Book 5, The Austere Academy, for the first time. Handler’s prose remains amusing.

Yes, I know:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single linguist in possession of a good monograph, must be in want of a category of mood.

However little known the monographs of such a linguist may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this mood is so well fixed in the monographs of the surrounding linguists, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

Pretty kinky stuff really :expressionless:

It’s not often I actually laugh out loud at a post on here, but that did it.

Yeah, although I’ve enjoyed all his work (although I’ve still not read The Fireman), Heart Shaped Box made the most impact on me.

I actually quite like this side of Pat.

He’s a larger than life character, and I feel it’s kind of earned in his case.

We might rue the day that these big personalities are of a bygone age, especially in a era where egos are massive all around us but by people who don’t have the personality or the achievements to back it up.

I’ll second this. I had vivid dreams of being a drug addict after The Corner, albeit the tv series rather than the book.

It was about 10 years ago and I still think about it all the time.

Fireman is probably his weakest book so far. It’s far too long and unfocused. I’d rank his books:

Heart shaped Box
NOS4A2
(Strange Weather - a collection of novellas so I don’t know if it counts :smile:)
Horns
Fireman