millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

This may be the best review I’ve ever read.

I just listened to the audiobook sample, and I can definitely believe your review:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Be-Pure-Be-Vigilant-Behave-Audiobook/B0755QS2J7

The reason I was reading Enoch was because it is quoted in Jude, and thus I figured it influenced the NT authors’ weltanschauung. It is very much like Revelation. It’s “OT” Canon in the Ethiopic Church, and Athanasius was one of Revelation’s early champions, it barely got in the Christian Canon and he lived in Egypt, and IIRC the Ethiopic Church was based on the Coptic Church. Which makes me wonder, did Athanasius think of Enoch as part of the “OT”?
An interesting fact about Enoch is that the Zohar says it was a real book, but fell out of Israelite use during the Egyptian period, so the text we have was corrupted by pagans by the time of Moses, which is why it wasn’t canonized.Even so, some of the things it says about the antediluvian period match the Zohar very closely.

I was trying to remember who the description you gave of Pat Mills reminds me of in American comics. I think it’s Jim Shooter.

No, it’s Neal Adams. Listen to his podcast interviews with Kevin Smith, they are quite hilarious. If Pat Mills is behind everything great in British comics Adams holds the same role for US comics. :smile:

Oh ya. Neal Adams too. If you ever hear Shooter talk, no one is smarter than him. He’s a much more dominant voice in the Marvel version of a similar book.

Yeah to be fair Shooter does have an ego to match his height but Adams takes it into comedy territory for me.

You should see Adams’ booth set up at a con. It’s on the main floor, as big as DC and Marvel and just has him sitting in the middle charging $50 for a signature. I’ve never seen more than one person at the booth at a time. It’s a bizarre trip down ego lane. If he would just rent a table back in Artist’s Alley he would cut his costs dramatically and likely increase his profits.

The thing with Pat Mills too is he’s politically a revolutionary. It’s all through his work and if he didn’t have ‘the man’ to stick it to he’d probably feel quite lost.

In truth I know Andy Diggle (who wasn’t editor for very long anyway) had issues with Mills’ work but it’s not like the editors haven’t given him shitloads of work over the years so must be happy with him. Even quite recently he was writing 3 out of the 5 stories in 2000ad.

You see it’s part of his makeup when he discusses his peers instead of bosses, has nothing but lavish praise for all the artists he works with and he’s always fighting their corner against the fascist overlords that pay the wages. :smile:

Sometimes I wonder if there is this very particular mindset that it takes to be an author. You almost have to see certain things in a very uncompromising way like there is only one way Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Judge Dredd, etc can be done and all others are wrong. I think that bleeds over into worldview sometimes too. To be honest, engineering can have some mindsets just in a different direction.

I think a lot of the most successful authors tend to be single minded and a bit eccentric in different ways. Mills, Adams and Shooter are not always as perfectly correct as they imagine they are but all three are or have been brilliant at their jobs.

It’s a great book. I’ve loved his recent self published fiction books as well such as Serial Killer and Goodnight John Boy.

A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew

The most radical case of this in comics being of course Steve Ditko. I love that he’s the basis for Rorschach.

Oh, and there’s the song he made about him, of course:

I remember that documentary. And I find the story how Marv Wolfman came to visit Ditko genuinely terrifying.

I am really tempted to get this one:

A Grammar of Old Irish

Iron Gods

This is the second of Bannister’s Spin stories but each stands on their own, though there was what I suspected to be a subtle reference to the first book and what happened after it.

What’s quite different about Bannister’s stories is they set their stage up early and then it all plays out from there, with consequences coming back to haunt their instigators. As a result there is a lack of the usual SF cliches - villain getting their comeuppance in a dramatic climax, this does sort of happen but it’s very quietly and often by the villain’s own hand, no grand, final battle, no cathartic sequence of violence of one bunch slaughtering another bunch - no, instead things just play out to their conclusion.

I finally finished David Simon’s Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, which I started about a decade ago, and has been on my to-read pile ever since. Now on to The Corner.

Do not read this book if you’re feeling even slightly down.