millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

This came through my door today.

Here’s a nice illustrated essay from it.

The Uralic Languages
The Book of Jubilees

The Harry Potter Heptology

The Vulture put up a fairly interesting article about the “21st century canon”. I am not really into contemporary fiction (I think I have read around 15 of these books and haven’t liked any of them aside from “The Road”), but if you are then there is sure to be lots of recommendations here.

I’ve read only five of the books on that list. I question why it does not include Ta-Nehisi Coates’ “Between the World and Me”, Ian McGuire’s “The North Water”, or David Wroblewski’s “The Story of Edgar Sawtelle”.

I’m surprised you haven’t read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, Jerry.

On that list I’ve read the Corrections, My Brilliant Friend, The Sellout, Atonement, Middlesex, The Plot Against America, The Road, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Gone Girl, The Goldfinch, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, The Dark Materials trilogy, Magic for Beginners, the Harry Potter books, and A Brief History of Seven Killings.

Not a lot, really, although I have read different books by some of those authors, too. I loved The Road and Seven Killings, and the rest I thought were mostly OK. All in all, based on what I have read, the list doesn’t make a strong case for literature this century. In my opinion.

How is His Dark Materials on the list? They came out in 1995, 1997 and 2000.

I only see the final volume in the article. (I know technically the century starts on Jan 1st 2001 but pretty much everyone accepts 2000).

Actually one thing I got from that list is how quickly some books are adapted for the screen. I somehow imagined the likes of Wolf Hall, Atonement, Winter’s Bone and The Road had been out a lot longer.

Ah, I didn’t click through to the article, I was going off Robert’s list.

Robert’s #fakenews.

I’ve read about 50 of the books. Some great ones on there, some I didn’t care much for, but I’ll definitely check out more of them.

I have read that; it is one of the five on that list that I have read, along with The Road, Zone One, Gone Girl, and 1Q84.

Currently reading Peter David’s Tigerheart, his spin on Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. I’ve come to realize that he and Neil Gaiman have a similar prose style, and often deal with similar topics.

Trying to make my way through the last couple of Charles Stross’ “Laundry” books before the new one comes out.

Quick description for those who haven’t read them: it’s a supernatural series about a top secret British organisation set up by the government to take care of monsters, otherworldly entities and prepare for a war with the encroaching Elder Gods.

Reminiscent of this old WildStorm series:

The Establishment is a super hero group that was operated by the British government within the Wildstorm Universe. The comic of the same name was published by American company WildStorm Productions, and ran from 2001 to 2002. It was created by Ian Edginton and Charlie Adlard, who were also sole creative team throughout its entire 13 issue run.

The series focused on the exploits of the current incarnation of the group while defending Britain and the world from various threats including Daemonite attacks, invasion from little green Venusians, plagues of zombies, and an attempt at recreating the universe.

I always confused this with the Monarchy, which seems like it would be the more appropriate title for a British themed superhero comic.

Will need to check that out, cheers.

The Structure and Status of Pidgins and Creoles

The Best of Robert E. Howard Volume 1: The Crimson Shadows

The first book I bought with my own money (at Robert’s Book Store on Broadway in the Bronx, circa 1971) was the Lancer paperback Conan of Cimmeria, primarily because of the awesome Frank Frazetta cover featuring a scene from the Conan story “The Frost Giant’s Daughter”. I was hooked from that point forward, buying the entire 12-book Lancer/Ace collection, then spreading out to discover collections featuring King Kull, Bran Mak Morn, Cormac Mac Art, Solomon Kane, etc.

Just over 10 years ago Del Rey books acquired the license to reprint REH’s stories and published 11 trades using Howard’s original versions of his stories, so naturally I had to buy them all, even though I already own most of the stories that are reprinted here. The Del Rey editions are a good-looking collection for my book shelves.

And it’s always fun to revisit the prose and poetry of Robert E. Howard.

I heard an extract read from this (by James) on the radio this morning. It was very moving.

I’ve always liked James as a writer and commentator, but his illness and impending death seem to have driven him to even greater heights. It makes any new writing from him bittersweet, but there’s always an underlying positivity and humour there too.