millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English

A Descriptive Grammar Of Igbo

Reading the Dhammapada. Together with the Tibetan mind training writings they represent the pinnacle of Buddhism for me.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

Syntax: A Minimalist Introduction

Man, Chandler wasn’t kidding around when he named The Long Goodbye. It’s about twice the length (going roughly by thickness) of all the other Marlowe novels. I’m the best part of 200 pages in and it still feels like it’s only just got going. Hopefully it’ll do something to wow me before the end.

I missed that there was a new Becky Chambers book out this week, Record of a Spaceborn Few. Hopefully I’ll get started on that soon.

Oh cool, I still have A Closed and Common Orbit in my to-read pile.

Finished The Brothers Karamazov. Now reading The Silmarillion

Currently reading the Neil Gaiman short story collection Trigger Warnings.

This was amusing:

Something more recent now.

Black Klansman: A Memoir by Ron Stallworth
9781250299031_p0_v2_s550x406

I was mainly motivated by interest in the Spike Lee movie, and if anyone else feels the same I can only really say that maybe hold off until the movie comes out. Not that the memoir was bad, but that they really seem to be taking to tacks at this and I feel like if you have more interest in the movie it’s best to go into it as its own thing. There’s definitely somethings that are standing out to me in retrospect after reading this, for sure.

As a memoir - it is honestly rather decent. The subject matter is, naturally, interesting and Stallworth does a great job bringing to the reader a well-honed, amicable, and reasonable grounded perspective. It’s a very chummy book in that way, and you can buy the incredulity and disagreeableness as Stallworth experiences them as well. The only rather noticeable thing is that there is no real arc in its own way, which is fine - it’s a recollection of life and life doesn’t conform to storytelling conventions. So, it can get dry.

Which isn’t helped by some of the faults in Stallworth’s writing - the biggest being his tendency to over-explain things. Even within the same chapter, or neighboring pages, he will reiterate a point/term/definition twice or more. It gets tiresome, and he never really lets it up. But, overall, a nice, slim, read and an intriguing look into a rather fascinating time and place.

A Grammar of Chalcatongo Mixtec

The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks. I love these terse little nuggets of wisdom, it is reminiscent of Marcus Aurelius.

Syntax: A Linguistic Introduction to Sentence Structure

From Neil Gaiman, straight to Virginia Woolf’s The Voyage Out.

Bradshaw’s Continental Railway Guide 1913.

It’s thicker than a Marvel Omnibus :open_mouth:

(To be honest, I’m not reading it cover-to-cover. That would be ridiculous.)

Just reading the racy parts, eh? Nudge nudge, wink wink. :wink:

I started with Switzerland. It seems to have an awful lot of stations for such a small country.

As well as timetables, the book also has the paid tourist-focused advertisments that would have originally funded it. Purely by chance, I found a full-page ad, including photo, for the Grand Hotel in Montreux (on the Lake Geneva shoreline), where Deep Purple later recorded Machine Head (when it was empty, cold and bare). So, serendipitously already the most interesting book I’ve read all year :slight_smile:

Wow. Your definition of interesting and mine have a lot of space between them. :wink:

Creation Machine
Andrew Bannister

Been a while since I’ve read SF and certainly SF inspired by now rather than a few years ago. Which is more significant than it sounds given the amount of tech development as SF is supposed to go that several steps ahead. Bannister does this by setting his story in an artificially engineered galaxy centuries in the future. It’s a pretty anarchic setting too.

It’s an odd tale of out of control corporations, failed rebellions and a conflict over what augmentation means for definitions of being human. At the same time those on top want to stay on top, while a bunch of psychopaths want to get to top and they’re not fussy how. Unlike in say Banks or Asher, AI plays a role, but it’s more limited - there no sarky AI gods in play in this galaxy.

For the £8 or so I paid for it, it was a good enough tale and I’ll be looking at his next one, Iron Gods, set in the same setting soon.