millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I liked a lot of Ellis’ comics but have not been impressed with the two prose pieces I’ve read of his. This sounds like an interesting idea though so maybe I’ll give it a try.

I really enjoyed Crooked Little Vein, but I was constantly reminded that this was a Warren Ellis story.

I’m impressed that he also does music. Truly versatile talent.

I loved Crooked Little Vein.

Is that a bad thing?

Actually, strike the music from the record. Different Warren Ellis, apparently.

When I saw that the soundtrack to Django was by Warren Ellis, I nearly fell of my seat :smiley:

ELlis%20aEllis%20B

It’s like a Pokemon evolution:

Alan-Moore-small

I’ve been on a reading marathon for a couple of months since the start of the year.

IT by Stephen King: This book was a fun ride. I’ve seen the 90’s TV movie and the new movie and decided that it was about damn time I read the book, It was great. I found myself invested with all of the characters which is basically what you want when reading a book. It also got really weird when they went to IT’s layer and then they talked to a god-turtle. It’s was a long read but I thought it was worth it and I liked the roller coaster ride I experienced when reading it. I think the ending was one of the best part because it was uplifting and ultimately encapsulates what the book is all about (for me at least). I thought the book was ultimately about rediscovering your childhood as an adult.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman: I watched the movie a long time ago and really didn’t know that it was based on a book. Then I got to read the book and I got to say, it’s one of the best love stories I’ve read. Although, I haven’t read any notable romance books. With that said, this story was one of the best love stories I’ve read so far. I found myself rooting for the two main characters to end up together. I had a smile on my face while reading the book.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman: Okay. So, I didn’t know what to expect from this book. I’ve seen this in the bookstore for sometime now and I only got to read it now when I got a Neil Gaiman book collection for Christmas with Neverwhere being part of it. And I got to say, this book was a weird adventure that I really enjoyed. This book takes you to this fictional place under London, a place I’ve never been and only seen pictures of. A place where literally one man’s trash is another man’s treasure or in the case of this book, one’s currency. I wanted to go to that place just to experience what it’s like. The floating market is also pretty cool. Moving from place to place. There’s a twist in the book that I didn’t expect just because I had another suspicion that turned out to be wrong. Pretty awesome book.

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman: I was excited to read this book just because American Gods is one of my favorite books and I was excited to go back into this world. This book had me laughing through and through. It’s a really funny book (for me at least). The characters are also very interesting and it gives you an insight into how Anansi was as a god and also as a father. He was kind of an asshole to be honest but you just can’t hate him. His kids were also well-written and I found myself rooting for them throughout the story. The supporting characters were also really enjoyable. I’m really glad I read this book because I got to go back to the world of American Gods. And this book, on it’s own stands with it in quality.

Those are most of the books that I’ve read for the first part of the year. I highly recommend these books. I know that most of them are from Neil Gaiman but come on, the guy’s a really good writer. Anyway, if you’re ever in a bookstore, I recommend you check it out. :smile:

This was the first Gaiman novel I ever read, and it turned out to be a great first choice.

I never could get into Neverwhere or Stardust. To me, it feels like Gaiman either has two different voices or it shifted over time. For lack of a better term, I call them his British and American voices. American Gods seems to be the dividing line for me. The only outlier seems to be Good Omens but that might be down to it being co-written with Prachett and I read the US edition which was heavily altered and annotated.

Glad you enjoyed reading it as I did. :+1:

Anansi Boys was a fun book. You might like Mike Moorcock’s The Metatemporal Detective too. It’s short stories of alternate here-and-nows, like the Kingdom of Texas run by King George; or a chase through Paris’ undergrounds. Same kind of sense of fun.

I’ll definitely check that out if I get a chance to. Hopefully, it’s at my local bookstore.

Finished The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer.

And only can say OMG! I caught Meltzer recently with his Identity Crisis, loved it. But Meltzer here totally blew me away in this intensely chilling thriller about the inner working of private banking.
Two brothers steal a money from a deadman’s account, only to have crooked agent of Secret Service and female detective (with a funny name) On their asses. Quite possibly, this certainly can’t be the only legal thriller in existence. But what distincts The Millionaires from other novels is densely plotted, fast paced narrative, filled with numerous details and striking twists on just about every page. Often I had to reread certain passage in order the pick up something I didn’t the first time. And adding the fact I am totally for the birds when comes to money, financial laws, bank accounts etc. So, this book clears it a bit up to me. Also, Meltzer shows he has tremendous skill for dialogues, when it comes to banter or dramatic sequences between the two brothers.

If I must, the only flaw I could find is the inclusion of female detective, whose appearance is for the most part useless and unnecessary for the plot. Well, except for the ending when she typically saves the day, which was obviously forecoming, well, at least when she is into the case.

But, an indeed fantastic novel.

Brad can write. Latest is The Escape Artist - can’t wait to read it. “Meltzer”, btw, means “beer maker or brewer”.

Did you ever try the adaptation Vertigo did with Vess on art? It’s a lovely series and Vess’ art really enhances it.

Changing tack, one of my frequent Trek authors, David Mack, has branched out into an original series called Dark Arts. Published by Tor, it so happens his editor is Marco Palmieri, who, as the brains behind the Trek DS9 relaunch, I have a lot of time for. So, I picked up the first volume, The Midnight Front and got around to reading it in the last few days.

It’s not going to win any prizes for innovation, but it’s a good take on the urban fantasy and secret history genres. It’s also more ambitious than I expected, which was that it’d be a vengeance tale with WW2 as a backdrop, but what I got was a story that spans the entirety of the conflict in one volume. It is in that respect the book works very well, weaving in and out of major events of WW2, while telling its own story and doing its own world-building.

One area where Mack is particularly effective is conjuring the despair and darkness of the time - this is important given how often that conflict has rose-tinted glasses applied to it. Massacres, cities destroyed, death counts off the scale - it’s all here and should be present.

Overall, it made for a fun few hours and I’ll be interested to see where the series goes at the end of next year.

Currently reading Crichton’s Eaters of the Dead, which is a revamping of Beowulf. Reading it, I kind of begin to see where Tolkien drew from Beowulf for Lord of the Rings, and even Martin for A Song of Ice and Fire.

Currently reading a book my daughter bought for me because she thought I would enjoy it. She was right. The book is Blindness by Jose Saramago, which won a Pulitzer about 20 years ago and made into a film starring Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo in 2008. It starts out as a mystery thriller, but soon turns into something much different. Good stuff.

This is actually the original version of the story. I’ve tried reading it too but just didn’t get on with it. I did enjoy the film though.