millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I love the bridge trilogy. I thought the satire in Virtual Light was hilarious.

Yeah, exactly. It’s a bit like Indian X-Men as an exploration of postcolonial Indian/Pakistani history.

The Affinities sounds interesting ; what’s the plot about?

A company comes up with a test that pairs together groups of people that naturally have an affinity for one another, that’s as far as I’ve gotten but the blurb implies that these groups begin to influence society and ultimately come into conflict with each other and society at large.

Journey to the West and Kafka’s The Trial

I’ve read The Trial again with my class last year. Man, I love that novel. So awesome.

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

Journey to the West is really interesting, given that it’s from an entirely different literary tradition. It’s really an eye-opener into the Sinosphere- it’s considered to be one of the Four Great Early Modern Chinese Novels (and thus has had influence over many of the cultures of that region- I’m not a DBZ fan, but I’ve heard of Goku, and he’s named after a character from the book)- which is interesting to me as two of the languages I’m learning (Mandarin Chinese and Korean) are from that area.

I’m new to this thread, so hope you don’t mind I’m going to comment on an old post, as I was excited to see this great book, by one of my favourite authors, being one of the first mentioned. I was thrilled when they reunited two of the cast members of Natural Born Killers for the film, but man did it disappoint. I wish they would stop trying to translate PKD’s work to film. It never works, except maybe Blade Runner, but that felt more like ‘inspired by’ than ‘based on’. I couldn’t even get through the trailer for Radio Free Albemuth. As soon as Alanis Morissette appeared, I ran from the room screaming.

I’ve realised that most of my reading lately has been based on Millarworld recommendations -

@Lorcan_Nagle recommended Star Trek: A Singular Destiny. I often refer to Star Trek novels as being about spaceships shooting at each other. This one is a bit different. It is more about diplomacy and politics after a crisis (in this case an invasion by the Borg). While a lot of the better known characters make an appearance or are name checked, this is about a slightly hippyish diplomat (based on Arlo Guthrie) going on a mission on behalf of the Federation president. It is all about tidying things up following the previous novels and setting things up for the next ones. But it does it very well and is a compelling story as well. It is really enjoyable.

@Bernadette recommended The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness. I really enjoyed this. It’s a beguiling little tale about art and creativitiy and love and forgiveness. I honestly don’t think that I could summarise the plot…but I really enjoyed it. I not sure how to class it. Magical realism perhaps. Very much recommended.

I am currently reading Willful Child by Steven Erikson. I won’t say too much about it, other than to say that I am enjoying it immensely. You really have to love Star Trek a lot to spoof it this much.

I picked up Finders Keepers by Stephen King in a second hand bookshop yesterday. I have Mr. Mercedes but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. However after a lot of sci fi and fantasy, I’m thinking that I should probably read something factual next. At the moment it’s between a biography of Sam Cooke, 1606 by James Shapiro or a philosophy book that a bloke I know wrote.

I was slightly let down by the first 4 novels in the Typhon Pact series, but the three or four that came after it, and The Fall were much better. I actually need to catch up with the Trek novels again, I stalled while reading the Cold Equations trilogy(and I might just skip the rest of that, TBH)

I am using them as a palette cleanser every now and again…If I find myself have to slog through a dry book, I reward myself with a Star Trek novel.

I’m pretty much the same, I read them as ebooks, so it’s a case of if I have nothing new to read I’ll pull one up on my phone and spend a day or two on it.

It’s something like that for me. Or if I’m sick. I like a good book to read if I’m stuck in bed sick. I read Assignment Eternity that way.

I Just finished Doctor Sleep. I read it when it came out, about 2.5 years ago, but couldn’t remember it at all, so thought I should give it a re-read.
I’m a long time King reader. He’s actually the dude who got me into reading, back in 8th grade. That being said, I don’t love everything he writes, and his endings often disappoint, but he’s like an old friend, so I keep going back. I also enjoy his style, like an old guy telling you a story on a porch.
Doctor Sleep was pretty standard fare. I felt like the ties to The Shining were so thin, they didn’t add much at all. I would have like to see the return of the hotel, as it is a prominent character in The Shining. Something more surreal would have been pleasing to me, like if Danny had built the hotel in his mind and was trapping the psychic vampires in it.
Maybe if Richard Bachman had written it, (I’m thinking of The Regulators), I would have liked it better.
Now I’m reading his son’s new book, The Fireman. I appreciate that he fully owns up to stealing from his father, and enjoyed N0S4A2, and loved Locke & Key, so I have high hopes for The Fireman. But if the hand of god comes down and saves the day at the end I will be very angry.

Just finished the first book in my re-read of Proust’s epic, In Search of Lost Time. Swann’s Way is even more gorgeous and layered than I remember it, so rich and complex in it’s description of human cognition and perception, with prose that flows effortlessly and endlessly. The plot itself hasn’t yet gotten going - after 600 pages - and often feels triffling, but even that is a wonder, as it echoes the modern angsts that are so often dismissed as minor. It’s a work so far ahead of it’s time that nothing you read today comes close.

Looking forward to starting the next book!

Recently re read Ursula le Guin’s Earthsea quartet, a good reference spotting exercise for Game of Thrones fans.

Then, ‘Nod’ by Adriane Barnes who sadly contracted cancer and died soon after writing it. It is kind of like a post modern deconstruction of Salinger’s ‘Catcher in the Rye’, only in reverse. Same internalised first person perspective but this time where it is the rest of the World which is slowly going nuts rather than the narrator.(won’t reveal the literary device used to bring that about).

Currently I am reading ‘Splinter Silence’ my first Val McDermid novel. It is a crime novel and she has grown to A list status in that genre in recent years. So far, very much like the hugely successful ‘Happy Valley’ Cop series on UK TV.

So glad you enjoyed The Crane Wife. It really is a beautifully written tale about art and love, etc. I’d just class it as a book about inherent kindness more than anything which is a rare thing to be celebrated. I loved George’s whole sense of wonder too and the character Mehmet provides some nice moments of humour. It’s “a mournful shatter of frozen midnight falling to earth to pierce the heart and lodge there forever.” (I’m probably remembering that quotation wrong, and I’m too lazy to check, but that’s close enough).

Mr Mercedes and Finders Keepers are very much recommended by me. Start as straight crime fiction but then gradually develop into something ‘other.’ A bit like Tana French in that regard.

I liked Shapiro’s 1606 a lot. I think you’ll enjoy that one.

Been hearing good things about The Fireman. Really looking forward to that one when it’s available here. Someone I know even said they preferred it to The Stand so that is high praise indeed. I’ve read everything by Joe Hill, his short stories are great, and I’ve read everything by his Daddy too. Locke and Key is one of my favourite comics ever.

I really enjoyed Doctor Sleep. If Danny had built the hotel in his mind wouldn’t that be King kinda cribbing from Hill’s treehouse of the mind in Horns? :wink:

Everyone here is reading all the good books at the moment – Proust (Swann’s Way really is gorgeous) – the Earthsea quartet is a classic and Val McDermid is terrific.

I’ve just started Claire Fuller’s Our Endless Numbered Days. It has a good opening “This morning I found a black and white photograph of my father at the back of the bureau drawer. He didn’t look like a liar.”

It’s funny that King popped up in this thread today since I just started Night Shifts this morning.

I’m excited about The Fireman. I actually got to hear Hill read the first chapter about Teo years ago at this point. Funny enough he claimed that it was going to be a shorter novel, only for it to turn out to be his longest yet.

I like those ones as well, looking forward to the third one. My favourite crime/supernatural is John Connolly. That guy never gets boring and long winded (sorry Mr. King).[quote=“Bernadette, post:722, topic:28”]
If Danny had built the hotel in his mind wouldn’t that be King kinda cribbing from Hill’s treehouse of the mind in Horns?
[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind a bit of reverse cribbing if it would make for a more fun ride. I don’t actually remember Horns, another one to re-read one day.

Classic. I remember loving Gray Matter.