millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What non-comics are you reading these days?

I thought the latter only fed into the former since it’s ultimately the credit that has had a lasting impression. It was a great read.

It’s possible but at the same time there’s always disagreements in creative relationships over how much each person has inputted so I didn’t really hold that against him. The fact that he always sided with Marvel over his friends and employees and never wanted to rock the boat made him look far worse I thought.

I think it compares favorably. For all intents and purposes, Larsson wrote the complete story already, but Girl in the Spider’s Web finds a convincing way to continue it by expanding on the mythology. In what way I’m reluctant to say, but it involves Lisbeth’s family. It delves a bit more deeply into her psychology, offering up a number of comparable figures, and at once expands and contracts Lisbeth as a whole. Which is a clever thing, too, once you read it. It helps to be talking about this in a message board for a comic book writer, because her hacker handle Wasp becomes more significant.

So anyway, bottom line, I liked it. The originals are classic. This is an excellent companion.

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

Comics - Everyone Else (NOT Marvel / DC)

I mentioned Dennis Detwiller in a post before, and his Lovecraftain fiction (and games). I’m reading ‘Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy’, which was his first novel.

I’ve got to say, it’s not great, but then it was written 12 years ago and he’s really improved a lot since then. This is a bit clunky.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Trades Thread - Hardcovers, Graphic Novels, and More

A post was merged into an existing topic: Marvel Comics: All-New & All-Different

Quick reminder, this thread is meant for non-comics reading, we have many threads that cover those.

Which ones would this go in?

Everything has been moved to it’s proper thread now. I hope @garjones is pleased. :wink:

We got carried away. Although it was based initially on prose and spun out of control. Like alot of books I’ve read, funnily enough.

Oh ya. It happens. No one was being scolded. I just moved them to allow for those conversations to continue in a better place.

I’m currently reading Neil Gaiman’s latest collection of short stories, Trigger Warning. It’s had some OK stories but none have grabbed me yet.

Looking forward to that when I get the chance. I think sometimes his shorts are there more to simply explore an idea sometimes, as opposed to really making an entertaining start, middle and end. American Gods is my favourite fictional book, but even I can admit that in that piece of genius the story wanders off and forgets about the reader in the middle. It’s very much a part of his writing style I suppose. You don’t really notice it in his sequential work as much because your eyes are being rubbed with sugar the whole time.

American Gods is easily in my top 3. I’m not sure if you’ve seen me mention it before but a big part of the book takes place in Cairo, Illinois which is near my home town. My wife taught school there and my mother-in-law still does. His descriptions are pretty accurate. It always made me wonder if he went.

That’s awesome! On a reading level, even without knowing that, his descriptions are great in that book. I’m not really one for having things overly described but he creates enough balance to give the scenes a movie-like quality alot of the time, which I love. Y’know, I’m pretty sure I read an interview when it came out with him saying he wrote it on the road. I think it was in SFX Magazine. I wish they weren’t all in storage or I’d go hoke it out for you. I have so much information in magazines that isn’t available on the web because it was before blogs became the source of all information. But yeah, I remember reading he either wrote it while travelling in America, or came up with the concept and wrote extensive notes while on the road.

Funnily enough, I’ve been mentioning that the guy who’s playing Shadow in the upcoming adaptation was one of my mates in school. There was a group of about five of us ran around together. I haven’t seen him for 20 years mind you.

Wow. They’ve gotten as far as casting? I didn’t realize it was that far along.

Veering off topic again, but yeah. Ricky Whittle.

We used to run around with our blazers inside out like Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I’m pretty sure he read some of my Sandman comics, or at the very least, flicked through them. Kind off makes me wish we had camera phones back then.

To get this thing back on topic, my favourite Gaiman short story is Murder Mysteries. It has a real haunting quality about it that I love. Although anything to do with heaven, angels and eternity is haunting to me. I wasn’t overly keen on the adaptations, I can be quite hard on adaptations of stuff I love, but then, so can everyone here on Millarworld.

Murder Mysteries is very good. I first encountered it in his Two Plays for Voices audiobook along with Snow, Glass, Apples. Both are very good in this format. However, I didn’t get exactly what had happened in Murder Mysteries until I read the graphic adaptation much later.

I had my own ideas formulated by the time I heard them, which is probably why I disliked them. I didn’t stick with the comic, so it’s maybe unfair for me to be too judgemental.

I read Smoke and Mirrors hand in hand with Rosebud: The Story Of Orson Welles. I usually like going back and fourth between a fiction and non-fiction book at the same time. I don’t know why, I just grew into doing it. That combination was a fantastic one, Rosebud is a brilliant read, I highly recommend it.

Oh also, Christopher Jackson from the cast of Hamilton grew up in Cairo. That’s how my wife knows him.