What is the best band name ever?

From This is Spinal Tap

Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest): “And then, we looked at each other and said…”
David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean): “Said, look, why not?”
Nigel: “…we might as well join up. You know?”
David : “So, we became the Originals.”
Nigel: “Right.”
David: “And, uh, we had to change our name, actually.”
Nigel: “Well, there was another group, in the east end, called the Originals and we had to rename ourselves.”
David: “the New Originals.”
Nigel: “the New Originals.”
David: “Yeah.”
Nigel: “And they became…”
David: “…the Regulars.
They changed their name back to the Regulars. And we thought we could
go back to the Originals, but what’s the point?”

Actually I forgot, I did see Bjorn Again years ago at a free gig in the park. They were very entertaining even when you’re not drunk :wink:

I think they actually started the tribute band phenomenon. They were the first one I heard of anyway, The Bootleg Beatles soon followed, and I remember even had a hit in their own right doing Erasure songs in an Abba style.

I always liked Proxy Music and Oasish.

(Not for their music, just for their names.)

The origin of the name is believed to be coined by Keith Moon, who said that the band would go down like a “lead zeppelin”.

Can anyone ever top Anal Cunt?

That is Jon Bon Jovi’s birth name.

Butthole Surfers.

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.

My current favorite band name is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

My all-time favorite band name is Yes.

Really? Well, you learn something new every day!

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones from Boston Massachusetts.

Oh, I’ve never made the Bosstones/Boston connection before.

Toad the Wet Sprocket or Screeming Trees (A tie in my opinon)

A bloke I knew in Tralee used to be in a country and western band called Hector Pickaxe and the Floating Crowbars.

They mainly did Garth Brooks covers…He didn’t really make it in the music business and rejoined the army.

They were required to add the Mighty Mighty due to a trademark claim from a band just named the Bosstones.

I saw them live at a small club once. Great show. The only disappointing part was that the Dropkick Murphys opened up for them and really sucked. Evidently, it was very early in their career and they don’t even have the same singer now. They also hadn’t added the bagpipes yet and were mostly just a shitty oi punk band.

Have you sampled vegetables? Potatos rock!

Originally they were just known as the Mighty Bosstones, but a club owner introduced them as The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. After that, it just kinda stuck. It is funny how one song can make or break a career. The Bosstones had 2 songs on the Clueless soundtrack and even had a small part. The Impression That I Get was their only hit, but just about every other song is better than that. And The Dropkick Murphy’s seem more popular due to that one song being used in just about every beer commercial on the planet.

The Clueless soundtrack had little to do with the Bosstones’ success. They had a small, strong following to begin with. Then, the 3rd Wave Ska craze hit. Clueless put them on the soundtrack because they were popular not vice versa. Then, when the ska craze was over, they went back to their small, strong following. Also, they were the Bosstones and a friend suggested the Mighty Mighty to get around the legal headache with these guys.

The Departed gave the Dropkick Murphys some exposure but they too had a pretty strong following before that.

I saw them both quite a while ago. It was in 1997 at the Riviera in Chicago for their Boston on the Road tour with Bim Skala Bim.

I’ve seen them close to 50 times in my life. Everywhere from Lollapalooza to The Trade Winds in Seabright NJ (God rest it’s soul). My friend John Seymour even produced their Jacknife to a Swan album, right after he did the Bouncing Souls back in 2001/2002. I was trying to imply that even though the 2 songs in Clueless were better than their one and only commercial hit, they never truly took off. I was in Boston for their annual Hometown Throwdown this year for 2 of the 3 shows this year. They paid tribute to the Rathskeller (a famous Boston haunt that closed years ago) and it was a great show. Different sets every night, and they still rock.

I would love to see them again. It was a great show. Good ska and punk are better live than recorded.

I also saw Blink 182 when they were small. Travis Barker had just left The Aquabats to join up and we had no idea who he was. I honestly liked their opener, MxPx, better that night.