millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

I just got back from “Proud Mary” and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s flawed protagonist and her equally flawed decisions become thoroughly enjoyable once you realize that the usual archetypes in a blacksploitation movie are absent, therefore everyone is a target. It takes a big risk.

What makes this movie fun is watching the growing clusterfuck while the protagonist knows what’s really happening.

If I had to sum up this movie in a statement, it would be: “Proud Mary” demonstrates the ability to solve the escalating problems of continued missteps through the thoroughly entertaining application of ever increasing amounts of violence.

It is a blacksploitation movie without the aspiration elements, making it something different, at least in my experience. I need to watch it again, and not after work when I’m tired.

I hadn’t heard about this movie til now. I just read up on it and it sounds awesome.

First, this poster is awesome:

Second, apparently it’s set in Boston with a largely black cast? That’s so cool. Boston movies usually focus on white Irish-Americans and have maybe one nonwhite secondary character. I’ve always wanted to see a gritty Boston crime movie that showcased the city’s diversity.

Man, it I was a guy working on that He-Man movie for Mattel, I sure would have told Hasbro to shove their notes where the sun don’t shine.

And now I can’t stop thinking about how funny it would be for toy companies to go about sabotaging each others’ movies by sending bad notes to producers too stupid/coked up to know which one they’re working for.

In Bruges

This is a strange, strange but very good movie.

Two hitmen end up in Bruges after a hit gone wrong, which it turns out involved the shooting of a little kid. Problem is the town they’re in is a medieval one and what was the medieval era quite big on? Guilt, lots of it and this ends up influencing both Ray and his older mentor Ken, as they reflect on their lives of violence and their acts.

In a way, it’s worth seeing just for the scene with Gleeson and Fiennes in the town square where Gleeson hits Fiennes with this brilliant little speech:

"Harry, let’s face it. And I’m not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you’re a cunt. You’re a cunt now, and you’ve always been a cunt. And the only thing that’s going to change is that you’re going to be an even bigger cunt. "

The film also quite subtlely skewers Harry’s claim of having principles, with his own conduct as much undermining as upholding those he claims to possess.

F’ing Bruges

Hey, he escaped from it in the end … Or did he?

God, Brendan Gleeson was so fucking good in that movie. (As he is in everything.)

You’ve seen In Bruges for the first time? That’s awesome, I wish I could see it for the first time again! Such a great movie! It’s hard to think of one that left me walking out of the theatre with more of a high in recent years.

Also:

I hope it does well enough to bring back/ revive those 70’s Blaxploitation films. I like a young Pam Grier but I digress… :smile:

It will be interesting to see a modern take on that.

Hard to get any better than a young Pam Grier!

I watched the original Foxy Brown on Netflix a month or so back and it was fascinating to behold. Like, it’s barely competent as a movie - the dialogue is terrible, the plot barely makes sense, the acting is incredibly variable - but it has this incredible charm, a huge part of which is Pam Grier’s formidable presence on the screen.

And it’s amazingly progressive, especially for it’s time, but in such a heavy-handed way. The core plot is about rich white people profiting off the drug trade in poor black communities, of course, but you’ve got street action groups who do these bizarre sting/street fights to chase off dealers, and there’s a lesbian bar, but it’s full of stereotypes, and an incredibly heavy-handed piece about women with no choice but to go into prostitution to support their families. Such an odd movie, I really enjoyed it.

I know, I saw it in the late 80s. :smile:

It’s awesome, like Christian I love it to bits. One of my all time faves.

The original Shaft is similar.

It also feels like it goes on forever.

Yep and it was.

shut-yo-mouth

We do have the same alma mater though. :wink:

Writer/director Martin McDonagh’s next movie after In Bruges, 7 Psychopaths, wasn’t quite as strong, but still a lot of fun. And many amazing performances, especially those by Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson. His latest one is currently in the theatres, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Haven’t had a chance to see it yet.

I was convinced that McDonagh was Irish by all I’d read. Then I heard an interview with him last week, expecting a Dublin brogue or something similar and he’s English (I do know he has Irish ancestry). He actually has a tonal uplift thing at the end of his sentences that makes him sound Australian at times.

Here’s a movie to give a shot if you haven’t already: