millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

Watched as much of ROBOCOP 2 as I could stand which amounts to about 20 minutes. Nothing sadder than rewatching a movie you liked as a kid only to discover it really never should have been made.

However, there are a few good lines like when the psychopathic drug dealer says, “Jesus!.. had days like this.”

I went to see a panel discussion on satire at The British library with, amongst other people, Rory Bremner.

Who was in fine form, he loves performing and kept asking everyone if he needed to shut up as he was very aware he might dominate the proceedings.

The actual use (or not) of satire was a big topic in the discussion. Can it effect change, or is it just there to remind us that official story isn’t the only one out there? Or even, is it just a way to get people laughing when things get bad?

No real conclusion was reached, the panel sometimes contradicted each other (and themselves at times) and the moderator of the debate ended with a joke;

Q. How many satirists does it take to change a light bulb?

A. None, because satire doesn’t change anything.

The title’s excellent.

I remember a comment from Chris Morris (or was it Armando Iannucci? I obviously don’t remember it very well) that satire needs to challenge its own audience, as well as the ideas or people that it’s satirising: that as soon as satirists get comfy and safe and their material reflects the views of of the majority of their audience, it’s essentially no different from saying “whatever next!”.

I’m not sure I totally agree, but I do think it’s important for good satire to push forward with genuinely new ideas rather than just reflecting what people think already.

Watched The Magnificent Mrs. Maisel, the new Amazon show from Amy Sherman-Palladino. It’s about a Jewish woman in the 1950s who starts doing standup after her husband leaves her.

It’s a bit darker than Gilmore Girls/Bunheads, and it’s a bit jarring hearing her characters swear at first.

The cast is mostly good, especially Tony Shaloub as the main character’s father, and Alex Borstein as her manager. Rachel Brosnahan is very good in the lead too.

Some of the subplots, like her ex-husband’s work life, are a bit weak, but we get Kevin Pollak as his father, who’s great.

The first season’s only eight episodes, but I hope they do more for S2.

However, the downside of that is that people simply won’t pay attention. Entertainers who set out to challenge their audiences often soon find that they no longer have an audience. Or it’s only made up of people who aren’t challenged by what they do.

“We want the EXACT SAME THING! - only, different.”

I started watching that today too and it is quite fun. I’ve been (slowly) rewatching Gilmore Girls lately too and it is a stark contrast to that. The lack of network censorship on Maisel is freeing but I wonder if Gilmore would have turned out as well without those constraints.

Okay, so I saw a few movies for the first time recently.

Inside Man - This was screening in an artsy cinema near me as part of a selection of screenings done to celebrate Spike Lee’s 60th birthday. This was a good movie, not a great one, but compared to the only other movie of Spike’s that I have seen, this is a marked improvement. No points at guessing what that film is. :roll_eyes:
Christopher Plummer’s role and performance here have me excited to see him in the new Ridley Scott film, even if this was over ten years ago.

Black Hawk Down - I’ve somehow never seen this, and now that I have I’m left to wonder why it’s brought up so often. Maybe it s just dated poorly, or been oft-imitated, but I didn’t get much out of this film aside from a surprisingly good cast (I knew about Renton, but I didn’t expect Spud, or Bane) and about forty seconds of Voodoo Child. Josh Hartnett was surprisingly good though.

Molly’s Game - The latest Aaron Sorkin script, this time directed by Sorkin himself! I liked this quite a lot, enjoying Jessica Chastain’s performance and that trademark Sorkin dialogue very much. Considering that he’s not a director in the way that David Fincher and Danny Boyleare, it’s no surprise to say that this is visually a step-down from The Social Network and Steve Jobs, but I didn’t find it too much of a hindrance. The runtime of over two hours didn’t drag for a second, and I had a lot of fun seeing Michael Cera in a movie again. This isn’t special in the way that Steve Jobs felt, which had a strong visual component and a really strong resolution to justify its interesting structure, but it’s good and I’d certainly watch it again.

Chi-Raq?

Not quite.

Ah dang. I’ve only seen a handful of Spike movies myself and even the ones I liked felt very clunkered. But I’ll check out Inside Man.

It’s very mainstream, in that mid-2000s studio movie kind of way, though I think he’s able to bring some of his own flavour into the proceedings. It’s a strong cast even if you enjoy nothing else (Denzel, Ejiofor, Dafoe, and Clive Owen for starters).

That is a strong cast. What really puts me off his films though is his hallmark of being very bluntly silly with scenes that he wants to make an impact with. It’s always like suddenly someone threw ideas for their student film into the mix. I think Malcolm X had the least of this problem from the ones I’ve seen.

I’d say that this one is only silly in that typical heist movie way. Nothing seems very out of place in the generally grounded world that they are portraying.
The trademark dolly shot was pretty effective, I thought.

I’m not a huge Spike Lee fan either but Do the Right Thing is one of my favorite movies. School Daze and 25th Hour are also up there. Inside Man is a fun movie–Denzel and Clive are brilliant in it.

I’ve seen most of Malcolm X (my class watched it over a few days in high school and I missed a day). I should really watch that again. The book is one of my favorites.

Do the Right Thing, School Daze, and Malcolm X are the ones of his I liked the most.
But it’s bits like in Do the Right Thing where it does the POV shot of people listing out slurs that pulls me right out of it. It’s just too much out of the movie. And it’s a good movie.

He does a similar scene in the Netflix remake of She’s Gotta Have It as well.

For me his movies can just be overstuffed and unfocused. Crooklyn is the worst offender.

Worse than Bamboozled? God, that was a tiresome thing to sit through. I stayed away from Crooklyn like I stay away from people who use the word Crooklyn :wink:

I haven’t seen Bamboozled. But Crooklyn drags as much as it randomly zig-zags.