millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

I went to a retrospective, at the BFI, for a young director I’ve worked with. Having a retrospective when you’re only 30 is pretty impressive. :slight_smile:

Her name’s Kate Herron and she mostly does comedy, but she’s been branching out into a bit more drama, and she got to direct a series of connected, 5 minute short films for the BBC, executive produced by (and featuring) Idris Elba.

You can watch them on iPlayer;

They are worth your time, and I can say that more believably as I didn’t actually work on any of them!

School inset day today so I’m at home with the kids having a lazy morning. Watching Bing on CBeebies. Eldest mutters quietly “it’s a Bing thing, it’s a Bing thing, it’s a killing spree thing”

:open_mouth:

Edit; this has some weird theories in it : http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/bing/51208/cbeebies-making-sense-of-the-bing-bunny-universe

Kid’s TV is unrelenting surrealistic for me. I remember my dad telling me all these strange theories about teletubbies when he was forced to watch them near endlessly when taking care of my young nephew from time to time.

Recently I came across this related to the Youtube Kids videos.

And this channel that looks like it’s for kids, but there is no way it actually is:

It kinda reminds me of the premise behind Channel Zero: Candle Cove where a mysterious, surreally horrific kids television show leaves mental scars on a group of kids potentially dooming them to some supernatural horror as adults.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was okay. I’ve kind of soured on Martin McDonagh. I still like In Bruges but it’s marred by all the rapid-fire “edgy” casual racism from nearly every character. The Guard, directed and written by his brother, has the same problem (when I watched that movie recently I was wondering why Don Cheadle didn’t just punch Brendan Gleeson’s character after the third or fourth wise-ass remark). Both brothers seem a little out of touch and full of themselves, although I do really love Calvary.

Three Billboards is better than Seven Psychopaths, which was a trainwreck, but it’s not great. The dialogue is trying to be clever but usually feels labored, and the characterizations are too haphazard for any of the characters to feel particularly real, despite some strong acting from Frances McDormand, Lucas Hedges, Peter Dinklage, and especially Sam Rockwell. The movie does become a lot better about halfway through after an incident sends a town already in disarray into further disarray. The tone becomes more serious and the stakes get even higher. But overall this feels like a movie that’s trying really hard to be great and getting in the way of itself along the way. A little humility in the script would’ve served the characters and premise a lot better.

Sounds like a pretty good choice for a snowy night and cable, though.

Yeah, definitely. I liked it more than I disliked it and I don’t regret seeing it.

I was trying to decide between Three Billboards and Lady Bird this weekend but after hearing feedback about Three Billboards it’s a pass for me.

I’m curious about Lady Bird.

Lady Bird’s really good! Not my kind of movie usually but it’s very well done, especially the acting and writing.

Just finished binging She’s Gotta Have It, Spike Lee’s modern remake of his original feature film but as a 10-episode Netflix season. I thought it was alright. And that’s not disparaging given that I don’t really think of myself as a fan of Spike Lee’s. There’s something about the blunt silliness of his movies that puts me off.

Not to say there isn’t any of that in this, but the 10 episode, about 40 minutes each, length allows other aspects to breathe and grow. I had a lot of fun and engagement with a few of the characters and subplots despite the stuff I thought were real groaners. He’s just not my type of filmmaker, but there’s a lot to like in this series. I think it ends in a place that doesn’t really need another season either, despite only really broaching the events of the movie, and given that Lee directed all the episodes I don’t know if he’d even have the time to do another. Would be curious if they did, and satisfied if not.

Actually, that’s a whole issue, that seems like it’s gonna be a problem at some point in terms of revenue… lots of people covering it, I saw this one recently too.

Like Jonathon says, this has recently been covered quite a lot. German politics just noticed it and they’re trying to introduce a law or something.

One thing that I found interesting is that they said that some of those surreal videos may actually be created by bots. Which would explain quite a lot really.

Those that seem strangest to me are the ones with actual children and adults in them rather than the animated ones.

Watched Back, the Mitchell and Webb comedy. I watched the first episode when it aired, but only caught up on the rest now. Great stuff.

Currently watching Spider-Man: Homecoming. First five minutes are the best I’ve ever seen in a superhero movie.

We’ve just started S3 of Person of Interest, having bagged the box set a couple of months back and worked our way through the first two series.

What’s quite remarkable here is the subtlety of the SF angle, which is placed right alongside the cop procedural aspect that the show clearly began life as. I also liked how the first two series wove in the back-story of Reese and Finch, with the S2 finale finally resolving what the latter was up to all along.

It’s also a series that really benefits from blitz watching, as pieces flows from ep to ep. I also love the identity of the main villains to date - HR. The name is perfect.

I look at PoI as Jonathan Nolan’s beta test for Westworld. They share a lot of the same ideas and questions though expressed in different ways.

Lady Bird - It’s a very well crafted film from top to bottom. Saoirse Ronan is great (as always) and Laurie Metcalf is possibly better. It’s just a well written, well acted story about the relationship between a mother and daughter. I can’t say I connected with it as much as I would have liked, but that’s not really a knock on the movie. Just one of those things that happen, particularly with coming of age stories. It was interesting seeing a movie set in Sacramento that actually was filmed (at least in part) in Sacramento. Gave a nice feel of authenticity. It’s a good film worth checking out if you’re a fan of indie cinema, coming of age dramadies, and/or Saoirse Ronan