millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

See zootropolis, it’s a modern masterpiece by the way.
It’s so inventive in the way that Disney animated movies used to be. Every time I watch it I notice something new. Which Is nearly every day because my kid are obsessed with it.

Zootropolis, huh?

Just let it go Chris.

I’ve watched another 2 episodes of No End House and this a hidden gem.

This is as about as good as anything I have watched this year, a year which has had some seriously great television with Twin Peaks & Better Call Saul leading a very competive pack which also includes Curb Your Enthusiam, Man Down funniest season yet, another pretty good series of AHS, Game of Thrones and Ray Donovan.

Seriously, if you like horror, or the more unsettling components of Twin peaks, id strongly recommend you Track this down.
Just start with this 2nd season, you can always go back to Candle Cove - it’s a different story and cast.

The writing, direction, acting, story, sound, pacing - everything is just spot on, I wish I didn’t have to wait for the next episode I’m so keen to see what happens next - it’s creepy as fuck.

Night of Too Many Stars did not have that many stars, and made rather a travesty of itself. They may have too many stars, but what they need is a producer, a stage manager, and perhaps something called a rehearsal. At least we know the donations go to the autistic folks.

It was like a supervillain in the control booth!

This is one of the most succinctly damning reviews I’ve ever read, perhaps second only to ‘shit sandwich’.

I was actually doing my best to state things kindly.

While We’re Young - I usually enjoy Ben Stiller and was intrigued by seeing him in a film with Adam Driver. So we gave this a watch on Netflix last night and I’m glad we did. It was a lot of fun and there was a lot for us to identify with in this film. Stiller and his wife are kind of in a rut with all of their friends having kids when they meet this younger couple, Driver and his wife. The younger couple seem very genuine and altruistic highlighting things Stiller and his wife feel they are missing in their own lives. The slow slide to the realization that they are all being manipulated by Driver for his own, less than honest ends is what drives the film and makes it so identifiable. As per usual with Stiller films, he finally confronts the person at the end of the film once he has had more than enough only to get little to no satisfaction in the situation. There are some realizations and the last line in the film kind of sums it all up. While it made me a bit tense in parts, it was a fun film and I would recommend it. It even has Adam Horowitz (Ad Rock of the Beastie Boys) in a small part.

SEA OAK on Amazon is based on one of my favorite George Saunders short stories. Glenn Close is the star and it delivers pretty well on the satiric dark humor in the story.

I saw Battle of the Sexes, which was very good, but tonally very uneven.

Emma Stone is in a mostly serious, touching emotional drama about feminism and sexuality, while Steve Carell is in a goofy Steve Carell comedy, with slapstick, silly outfits, and Fred Armisen playing a weirdo. It also becomes a sports movie for about ten minutes at the end.

The Stone bits are much better than the Carell bits, with a great performance from Andrea Riseborough, and some good material for Natalie Morales, Alan Cumming, and Sarah Silverman in the supporting cast.

Not a great movie, but still worth watching for the good parts.

It probably aired in the US ages ago and is old news, but tonight’s new to the UK Family Guy is a compilation of parodies of film directors: Tarantino, Anderson and Bay. Alongside all the obvious swipes and gags, there are some really well observed directorial touches that are impressively replicated in animation.

It aired here in the States a few weeks ago. It was one of the best FG episodes in many years.

Thanks for the review. I saw a trailer for this the other day and thought it looked pretty great. I’m keen to see it.

I’ve just finished Band of Brothers. First time I’ve ever watched it, and it’s crazy how many up-and-comers are in it. James McAvoy, Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, Dominic Cooper, Jimmy Fallon, and of course Damian Lewis was also pretty fresh then.

I usually watch it at this time of year but haven’t had the chance the past two years. It’s a fantastic piece of work. Always feels pretty timeless even with those young faces. Maybe moreso because of it.

The Pacific is great too. Takes a few episodes to get going, but it’s some of the most intense television I’ve ever seen.

I liked the more historic parts, but when it got into personal lives I rather lost interest. Good for a watch, though. (HBO showed it for Veteran’s Day.)

I saw ‘Cat People’ the 1940’s black and white film (not he 1980’s remake) along with it’s sequel, at the BFI cinema in London.

The film holds up really well. It’s dated, mannered and a bit slow to get going, but the character dynamics are just simplified, rather than unrealistic and the movie plays it’s cards close to it’s chest when it comes to the supernatural (or is it?) elements.

The sequel is a waste of time, it features some characters from the first film but doesn’t continue the plot or it’s ideas, not even the cat imagery. The biggest connection is the the clumsy fool who screws up the relationships in the first film is still a clumsy, relationship screwing up fool in the sequel. Some people just never learn.

EDIT:
Topically, the first film also features a man who tries to force his unwanted attentions on a young woman.

Suffice to say that it doesn’t go well for him…

Saw Greta Gerwig’s directorial debut Lady Bird last night. It’s a moving little indie movie coming of age/family drama about a high school senior who’s resentful of her working-class upbringing in Sacramento (Gerwig’s hometown) and can’t wait to leave. I’m usually not taken with these kinds of movies (specifically, quirky bittersweet indie critical darlings) but this is just so well executed. Great screenplay, humor, and performances from Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf, playing daughter and mother.

I really want to see it, but it doesn’t come out here for another three months.

“Ma’am, did IQs drop sharply while I was gone?”

Yes, Ellen Ripley, they did. They got me. Put Alien: Covenant on sale and I bit. Started to watch, all Hell broke loose. I think I watched the whole thing over the next 12 hours or so. Not bad. Rather a few expected things, a few "damn!"s from time to time. Predicted the ending about ten seconds into the film. Lovely visuals. Some nice pieces. Byron my ass - that was darned near a Martha Moment.

Will watch it in toto soon. So far, okay, not great.