millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

I think people go to see Wonder Woman and shit on Prometheus and Covenant just to spite you.

Did you see Wonder Woman?

Nope, I just bought 5 tickets because I knew its box office success would piss you off. :wink:

That in itself doesn’t piss me off.

I tried to approach it again another 2 times because I felt I was in the wrong frame of mind for it, based on the generally positive response and box office performance.

I’m just very surprised it did so well based on what I saw. I feel it’s bang average superhero movie and that’s me probably being kind.

Honestly, I agree with you on this one. Its only merits are: being led & directed by women, being a competent movie, and being a DC movie that wasn’t hated by the entire planet =P

Other than that it’s just a mashup of CapAm1 and Thor1 without the awesome Loki and the better-than-most Red Skull… so yeah, big fat “meh” if you didin’t buy into the hype =/

It’s funnier that you railed on others for not liking a film you liked and then went on about not liking a film other people liked. We can all have different tastes and that’s OK. :wink:

Takashi Miike’s Blade of the Immortal is available to rent on Amazon (at least in the US) for anyone who’s interested. It’s his 100th film and the redband trailer was nuts.

How has it taken me this long to see *Scott Pilgrim vs The World :? It has made my list of “Rewatchable” movies already and I’d love to watch a directors commentary on it.

Yeah, I’m completely aware of the irony there - I hoped
the pre warning would cover that

Wow this week’s Lucifer episode was VERY good… I’d like to know who wrote the episode, and they should hire him/they to write a lot more like those… Didn’t expect an episode like that, well done!

After spending the summer reading a lot of history of the British Expeditionary Force in France, I thought I should finally watch the movie Dunkirk, as, surprisingly, I’ve never seen it before. Luckily the DVD was cheap so…

Dunkirk an exceptional film, one of the best war movies I think I’ve seen. It’s pretty close to being an anti-war film: there are no gung-ho heroes here, no glory, just men getting on with their jobs, and a pretty stark look at how brutal war is, for both civilians and soldiers.

The story interweaves two threads, that come together at the climax. In France, reluctant corporal “Tubby” Binns (John Mills) has to lead his cut-off squad back to their main unit. Back in England, counterpointing this, businessman John Holden (Richard Attenborough), sitting in a reserved occupation and using his wife and new baby as an excuse not to get involved, slowly comes to the realisation that it’s not possible not to get involved. (Interestingly, Bernard Lee has a higher billing than Attenborough, and his character, Holden’s friend Foreman, has a bigger role, but narratively it’s not Foreman’s story, it’s Holden’s.)

All of the leads are, unsurprisingly, superb, all utterly convincing in the intense-but-understated characterisation that you’d expect from a film of the era.

The film regularly cuts to actual war footage to show action in several key scenes, and it fits pretty seamlessly and adds to the realism of the battle scenes.

“Battle scenes” is perhaps misleading, because there are very few actual “battles”. In fact, Tubby’s men fight the enemy once only, in a brief two-minute segment where you barely see any soldiers. The rest of the action consists of people being bombed to hell by an unseen enemy, which is chilling to watch and something I can’t even imagine what it’s like to experience.

There’s actually a third thread to the narrative, as it occasionally cuts to senior officers discussing the course of events in great chunks of plot exposition. There are even animated maps of the German advance, giving the whole thing a documentary feel. But it really works, it puts the characters’ struggles into context, and it adds to the feeling of awfulness surrounding the whole affair. And despite the “documentary” feel, these scenes don’t reduce the tension at all. These’s a scene where the Vice Admiral at Dover is on the phone to the Admiralty demanding they reverse their decision to pull out their destroyers (due to heavy losses), and despite the fact that I know exactly, historically, when and why this scene took place, and what the outcome was, I still found myself on the edge of my seat waiting for the Sea Lord’s answer.

Overall, this is a tremendous film that I’d recommend to anybody, even if you don’t usually like war films.

Plus, as an added bonus, I had completely forgotten the soundtrack was one of Malcolm Arnold’s, Britain’s best 20th-century composer.

I am interested to see that Dunkirk - it got a fair bit of coverage earlier this year during the release of the Christopher Nolan film of the same name. It had good write-ups.

Hahaha. Glad you said that, Dave. I was getting confused as it sounded nothing like the film I saw. :wink:

Of course, any confusion was completely unintended :wink:

Coming clean, this is the film I’ve just watched:

1. At the rate I’m going I expect it will be another 60 years before I watch Nolan’s version :smiley:

Nolan’s Dunkirk was pretty fantastic. I highly recommend it.

I figured David was up to some mischief making, hence the like - I’d have been disappointed if the conversation never panned out this way

Nolan’s Dunkirk is really great movie. Just really well crafted all around.

In the last two days I’ve watched:

Split - There’s a lot I liked about it, but ultimately I think it was about 20 minutes too long. I think there was probably a very good 90 minute film in there. Almost all the stuff with the therapist could have been cut. I probably would have cut the flashback to the main girl’s childhood too. I know it kind of plays into the end, but it was so heavy-handed, trite, and unnecessary for me. That said, McAvoy was great and the tie-in to Unbreakable was fun so still worth the watch.

T2: Trainspotting - Trainspotting is one of my all time favorite movies, so this was never going to live up to that. It is, however, still a solid movie. It was interesting to revisit the characters after 20 years, to see them struggling with their pasts and where to go from here.

I went to a talk tonight with two different TV producers discussing their work.

The first was from a company which produced this documentary a few years ago;

The documentary was very well received and now Jamie’s story has become a West End musical. Think Billy Elliot, but for drag not dance. Jamie himself was with the producer, he’s really happy with how things have turned out;

The documentary is being repeated on BBC3 to coincide with the opening of the show.

The second, for a complete change of pace, was squarely in the entertainment arena, pun definitely intended;

The producer was a very energetic man, one of those human dynamo types that you could see would come up with a show like this, and then run it tirelessly. Think ‘Love Island’ in ancient Rome. Apparently there’s some historical facts dropped in occasionally too.

The show has been a big enough hit that there’ll probably be a second season, and an American version is in development.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good when I watched it.

Arrow have the UK distribution rights, and are supposed to be giving it a limited theatrical release in early December. I think I’ll be going.