millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

We watched the first three episodes of Stranger Things season 2 last night and hope to wrap it up over the weekend. So far it’s really good - it has to be to keep me watching more than two episodes in one sitting.

I was a huge fan of S1, with it probably being the best thing I saw last year even though I am younger than the child characters so don’t have the same attachment to the pop culture relics as other fans (nor have I seen the films it lovingly borrowed from (Goonies, ET, Stand By Me, It)).

I’m impressed so far by the whole thing; it’s a more than solid sequel and the child actors don’t appear to have aged that much (they must have started filming soon after the first season) - I was worried we’d have a Bran Stark effect; but no - they all still look and sound like little kids.

We also wrapped up Mindhunter the other night - what a piece of work. I absolutely loved it and would put it up there with Stranger Things and Big Little Lies. So well done, each episode left me wanting more and I’m actually annoyed that it won’t be back for a year. Highly recommended, but not for the squeamish.

A couple vastly different movies:
Happy Death Day While I am typically averse to PG-13 “horror” movies, this one was very enjoyable. A “groundhog day” like plot, only the main character gets murdered at the end of each day. What ensues is her trying to figure out who her killer is…and while the jump scares can be telegraphed a mile away, it’s a wholly satisfying and enjoyable film.

Revolutionary Road starring Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. This film works best in my mind when I imagine that it is a sequel to “Titanic”. Jack lives and they have to live in suburban America in the 50’s, two unsatisfied creative types being crushed slowly by the American dream and fitting into standard gender roles. Great performances from every single person involved, and those who like Sam Mendes’ other work will like this one.

Caught Jeepers Creepers 3 last night on SYFY, at last.
Decided to write a long form review on it.

Currently watching episode 3 of the new Stranger Things, and loving it so far. I like MadMax.

the Exorcist season 2 has got off to really good start, despite taking just a wee bit of time to lure me back in.
Totally won over by the end of ep2

It’s pretty gripping and this season is bordering on scary.

I’m loving the set up with the dad and all his foster kids, some creepy shit going on here and I’m finding it very engrossing

Huh I checked a series on Netflix called “Wanted” for the obvious reasons… nothing to do with that Wanted, but turned out to be be a nice australian TV show, so there =P

Ended up watching 6 episodes back-to-back. I’ve never been able to sit down for more than 3 episodes of any show at a time, so this is a pretty significant indication of how much I love the new season.

Also, it’s been raining hard and windy all day, so that helped. :slight_smile:

Binging on Black Sails.

Great production values and interest keeping plot lines.
Characters are interesting. The Flint character started off very wooden, Roger Moore wooden, but has improved a lot as it went on.

There is a lot of sex throughout series one and the first half of series two, much of it justifiable in terms of defining relationships but a great deal is pretty gratuitous although you could say a backdrop of gratuitous sex was itself justified in a Pirate setting.

Mind you that may be age related :slight_smile: If this kind of thing was the norm when I was an adolescent or young man I may instead have bemoaned the amount of story telling between such scenes. As it is, I found that early on it tended to hold up the plot pace a lot.

Anyway latter half of series 2 and first episodes of series three there is a lot less and the plot fairly scoots along.

Clearly a lot of research has gone in to making the life at sea as realistic as possible, sailing procedures, costumery, weaponry, battle tactics all adding to an authentic experience.

None more so than the sounds used which for the most part appear to be captured on location and really add to the sense of being there.

Wan’t expecting to like this adult prequel to Treasure Island but am really enjoying it and despite the swearing and sex in this prequel it has transported me back to when I read the original novel as a boy.

To me, Black sales came VERY close to being on par with GoT in terms of quality… kind of a shame it didn’t get more hype, and who knows why =/

It’s a wonderful show, at any rate, though for some idiotic reason I had to hunt S4 outside of Netflix… u_u

Silly cable people and WB put Wonder Woman on sale, so I nabbed it. Eleven bucks for digital? Sure. Not bad at all, not particularly eminently re-watchable. BvS? Rewatchable, as there are always more nits to pick. Same with Spider-Man: Homecoming, which was a pleasant dish but left one a bit hungry an hour later.

Also been baseball-obsessed, which is a helluva lot of fun. The excitement is like 1985 World Series when the Kansas City Royals battled the St. Louis Cardinals. That was when I was on a road trip, saw a game in a different city each night, visited Colorado for the first time, and finished the very long 7th game beginning in Tulsa, then part at LAX, and the very end while eating dinner. Also like 1988, when a broken-down bunch of baseball hooligans suited up and surprised the crap out of everybody. Now it’s the Dodgers again, and the Astros. Since the Astros moved from the National League West to the American League West (designated hitter rules) they are the rare team that needs - needs! - to be beaten badly in both Leagues. It is an exceptional and fun year. Even if you like baseball casually; Tuesday should be terrific (it’s in Los Angeles for the last two games, best-of-seven, Houston ahead 3 wins to 2 for the Dodgers). It is also, of course, All Hallow’s Eve. If we have a Wednesday, and there had better be a Wednesday!, it may be the most epic game ever. So far, it’s been historic.

And the Broncos are going out to get their asses handed to them again tonight. Who’s up? Oh, lawdy. It’s Kansas Bloody City. My buddy Brian is a big KC fan (also owned a comic shop). He will happily exult.

I also now understand “eyestrain”.

Last night I went to a Secret Screening of Yorgos Lanthimos’s The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I’d figured out what the movie was beforehand, but most people there had not. It’s a fun movie to watch with an audience who didn’t choose to see it and have no idea what to expect, and there were a lot of walkouts (about a quarter of the audience had left by the end), as well a lot of muttered “what the hell is this movie?” throughout.

It didn’t completely work for me, but it’s probably my favourite of his films. It’s super-dark, but still consistently absurdly funny. Farrell and Kidman are both great, and Barry Keoghan does a good job playing a character who’s practically the opposite of his Dunkirk character. I’m looking forward to seeing what he does next.

For my Halloween evening, wife and I decided to watch the original amityville horror, and honestly it’s the worst film I’ve ever watched. The Room was more coherent than this. I know times have changed, but I really can’t understand how this could have been a hit!

A lot of it had to do with the success of the book and riding the wave of being a “true story.”

I didn’t think coherence was one of its problems. It’s just dull, overlong (way, way overlong), and never convincingly answers why the family stays in the house. (I know there’s money issues involved but they could stay with their friends while they came up with a plan.)

Stephen King wrote a good piece on it in ‘Danse Macabre’ where he said the subtext of the film is all about money and the problems of being a family, trying to make ends meet, in the 70’s.

His opinion of the film IS that it’s nonsense but that it pushes all the right buttons in the right way for the audience of that era.

Also King certainly faced those problems and wrote them into his early stories and novels. I think many horror films today are less effective because they ignore the social and especially economic pressures on the characters. For me, the Conjuring movies, and offshoots, get that part of the stories right. It’s not just that these people are facing terrifying supernatural disturbances but they are facing them while all the equally terrifying pressures of making a living and providing for a family are still weighing them down.

Although that’s an interesting insight, I don’t think Amityville Horror did a good job of it whatsoever. I know that the success of the Exorcist and the actual media frenzy over the Amityville story played a giant role in the success of the film; nevertheless, it struck me as being the most ineptly put together film I’ve been unfortunate enough to witness.

And on a different note, we watched the babadook afterwards, and I was pretty blown away. I don’t think the resolution of the film was perfect, but it was exceptionally well-conceived, shot and performed, and I was gripped throughout most of the film.

Tremendous first episode of the new series of Dave Gorman’s Modern Life Is Goodish, looking at off-brand cereal, imitation Pixar films and cash-grab Dr Who DVDs.

Finally saw Death Proof for the first time last night, and I have to say I was surprised. Thanks to the Weinstein Company splitting the two Grindhouse movies up for the DVD release I really only saw Planet Terror way back when since…well, it seemed like an easy choice.

But finally saw the full double feature and I think that Death Proof is the clear winner between the two movies. While the Rodriguez bit has its moments, it does wear thin at points…while Tarantino’s is actually quite masterfully done…at least, in the first half of his segment. The second half kind of drags but thankfully the two-fold plot Tarantino does keeps that part at pace anyway. I’d heard so many complaints that it was boring or a waste of time - but really, just had fun with Tarantino trying his best to emulate a style (rather than mashing several together).