millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

I watched the gifted ep 1

I was a bit concerned at first that it was going to be pretty unmarkable but I quickly got into it and it was a prevent decent opening episode - genuinely quite a thrill ride at times and I’ve started to quite like the cast

I’ll keep watching

It looks like it won’t pull any punches, which is very exciting to say the least

Voltron: Legendary Defender “series” 4 (can it really be a series/season when they just release 5 episodes every now or then?). Episode 4, in which the paladins put on a travelling live show to increase morale and boost recruitment to their cause is insane. One of the funniest things I’ve seen in ages.

Nosferatu, in a church, with a live, improvised score, played on the church organ;

It’s been a long time since I saw the film, and like most people, I remembered the iconic shots; a bit in the castle, a bit on the ship, and the bit at the end, with the shadows and the sunrise.

Well, this restored version is 90 minutes and there’s a lot more in there besides those.

For a film that’s almost 100 years old it holds up well, but the audience (and its was a good turnout) was a bit restless at times.

I don’t want to diminish the importance of the movie; it adapted the book far more faithfully than many films that came after it (which often worked from the play, rather than the novel) and created some iconic images and lore of vampirism that have stayed with us ever since, but for a modern audience it’s an academic curiosity more than an entertainment in it’s own right.

But worth the time and the money, without a doubt.

Ooh, Alien – The Director’s Cut is about to air on one of the cable channels. Lucky me!! :+1:

The Amazon Video subtitles for An American Werewolf in London are censored.
Which I found out while watching it right now.

Why would they censor the subtitles?

I would have loved to have been there for that.

I have seen Dengue Fever perform a live soundtrack to The Lost World. That was great.

“Brawl In Cell Block 99” - Vince Vaughn does quite a turn in this indie. He plays a reluctant criminal who gets into jail and then proceeds to get himself into further trouble.

The fight scenes are brutal, quick, and realistic - no fast camera cutting, just a stationary shot most of the time. It’s a bleak movie, to be sure, but it’s a quick-ish watch and it moves along at a good pace. Also, good to see Dexter’s sister back in something again.

Lucky bastard!

Very much looking forward to this. I really haven’t been transported by one of his films since Pan’s Labyrinth.

Wonder Woman was good but compared to the average Marvel movie it was just par. It benefits from the divisive nature of the Snyder DC films.

I’ll see Professor Marston and the Wonder Women this weekend. Looking forward to that as well.

In other news, Indy UK film LET US PREY is stylish and effective if a bit empty.

Episode two, “Siliconia”, went up on the app on Thursday. It’s ‘the one where everyone’s Kryten’, as trailed in a lot of the promo material for this series.

It’s a well-made episode with great make-up and effects (there are a couple of occasions where the model shots and CGI are used for gags in their own right rather than just to facilitate the plot, and they work well), although among the ambitious story and solid production aspects, it does feel like they forgot to put in as many jokes as usual.

Still, it’s an entertaining episode that provides one or two unexpected but fitting character moments (particularly for Rimmer, making great use of Chris Barrie’s knack for imitation - there’s a reason he used to work on Spitting Image) and a fun plot, even if I didn’t laugh a huge amount.

Watching Killjoys a bit. I can’t say I entirely disagree with the criticism made by I forget whom upthread, but I still kind of like it as a somewhat decent sci-fi action show.

Eh… I’m still bummed the canceled Dark Matter in favour of Killjoys… I thought DM was the better of the two, but there you go =/

Just caught The Lego Ninjago Movie and I was taken aback by how well done it is. Much like the previous movie, this one used fake trailers instead of ones with real footage. The result is that I was entirely put off by the trailers, but the movie either doesn’t include the bits in the trailers I disliked, or had them in entirely different contexts that made them work instead of fall flat.

While the Lego Batman Movie had some real flaws, and hit higher highs, this one is simply a more focused animated film. It knows what it wants to do and it goes for it. This means some serious streamlining of the whole “team” aspect, and a part of the original cartoon is relegated to two gags - but the movie is better for it. It’s got a lot of heart and a very surprising, but deftly executed, moral about family. I really enjoyed it.

A shame it didn’t do better.

Just watched through the latest season of Transparent. It’s good, but no really breakout moments like in the past three seasons. After the truly triumphant final episode of S3, I thought there’d be something big in store for this season, but it seems they decided to go much lower key this time around, and while I don’t mind, and enjoy spending time with the characters, it didn’t seem like it was going anywhere in particular.

I just saw Call Me By Your Name, which I loved. Lovely movie, beautiful, and hilarious.

Armie Hammer and Timothée Chalamet are fantastic in the lead roles. I mostly only knew Chalamet from playing the worst character on Homeland, but he’s brilliant here. I’m looking forward to seeing him in Greta Gerwig’s Lady Bird even more now.

Michael Stuhlbarg is fantastic in a supporting role as Chalamet’s father too. He’s having a pretty remarkable year, with this, Fargo, The Shape of Water, and the new Spielberg movie.

I had a few quibbles (Hammer looks too old to be playing a 25-year-old), but it’s definitely my favourite film of the year so far. I might go see it again in a few weeks, as I don’t want to wait for the DVD to come out in six months to watch it a second time.

This afternoon I watched Denzel Washington’s starring role in Fences; tonight I am watching Denzel Washington’s starring role in The Magnificent Seven. A good day. :grinning:

Excellent NY Yankees versus Houston Astros game today. When “watched” the Dodgers/Cubs on the graphics GameDay thingy; and in the background PBS gave me an hour Pretenders concert followed by an hour of Steve Vai.

Lovely evening.

Also watching the, uh, I think third season of Brooklyn 99 as it just arrived on Netflix here.

This is one of those sitcomes that become like old friends. Well, let’s say good acquaintances. It’s not particularly great, but it’s fun enough when you’ve got 25 minutes to spare.

It’s extremely enjoyable, I think it’s a great example of how tv can be good even when it’s not attempting to be a prestige drama.