millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

Absolutely, it was a mish mash of various popular films but with none of the bits as good as the ones it was trying to emulate.

I also missed any scares, my wife’s uncle put it on the TV and my kids aged 6 and 8 were sat there and we got no nightmares or any reaction (it is a PG13/12). When I saw Nightmare on Elm Street when I was about 10 or 11 I crapped myself and couldn’t easily sleep for days.

Just watched Colossal. Boy was that movie not marketed to show what kind of film it actually it is! Sheesh.

IT is horror in multiple layers: obvious monster; the ones the kids live with; the ones in their neighborhoods and towns.

There is “action” in that the kids eventually fight back but it’s in no way an “action movie.”

I really wanted to like that movie, but it just felt like a bit of a mess. I don’t think the mashing up of genres worked at all.

I’ve seen almost all of those movies and I think what sets It apart is that the protagonists are a bit more likeable, or at least more relatable than those films. There’s an awful lot of sullen exorcists, depressing families, generic young people, and outright thieves or bad people as the center of horror movies. It’s refreshing to see some characters that are full of life, make jokes, or more innocent. I think that’s a major thing this movie does differently. Also it has a brighter color palette and seems to occupy something that more closely resembles our world, as opposed to the dim, dark, pea-soup looking palette of most horror movies.

Came back from IT earlier today. Mark me down in the column of people who didn’t find it scary. In fact, I’d argue that most of the set pieces were pretty much devoid of tension or scares and are rather perfunctory. I’d say that there were probably two effective scares in the entire film. It did manage a decent sense of dread at times though. Tonally, the film is all over the place too. The bullies are all so cartoonishly evil as to feel like they’re come from a completely different film and the CGI monsters look like they belong in a comedic cartoon. The bigger problem is that the film does nothing new and borrows glaringly from other horror films (everything from j-horror to slasher films). This is in no way an action movie with horror scares. It’s just a fairly generic horror film that follows the template set out by earlier films pretty closely.

I’d agree with Will too that not nearly enough time is dedicated to the cast. 7 protagonists is fine in a book or TV miniseries but is far too many for a film. The film could have stripped out the bullies and at least two of the losers without losing anything. Honestly, the leads were given about as much characterization and relatability as those in Insidious or the Conjuring. The film just coasts on the inherent charm of the actors and the foulmouthed dialogue rather than doing anything particularly interesting with them. (I’d say Lights Out had a far more relatable and likable cast than IT did.)

I think the biggest complaint I had about this film was that it just felt long. By the time they went into the spookky house for the first time I thought for sure that was going to be the end of the movie. That there was another half hour after that shocked me. My wife walked out the theater thinking the film had been 3 hours long was surprised to find that it was just over 2.

After getting into a heated argument with a friend at work today, I came to the conclusion that Richie was the only character with an actual character arc. Something that was set up, followed through on, and had a distinct payoff.

God no. What is Richie’s arc? He doesn’t change at all. The only one that goes through anything resembling an arc is Eddie.

He’s scared of clowns. Faces some clowns. Gets over his fear of clowns.

Eddie? Hell to the no. His gets brought up and the only bit that plays with it is its use in getting him to the climax.

Richie’s is even more perfunctory. It doesn’t even get introduced until 2/3 of the way through the movie and gets used once and then suddenly he’s no longer afraid in time for the climax. Eddie is at least set up from the beginning, is a reoccuring theme for him throughout the entire film (gray water), he’s then given information that changes him and finally he makes a conscious decision that moves him forward. It’s bare bone but that’s what an arc should be. Richie does none of that, he just scared until he’s not.

Just back from seeing Dunkirk. Beautifully shot. Great score too. Neither are surprising. Also an unexpectedly quiet film for a that’s pretty unrelenting and full of explosions. Anyway, it was really good.

My problem with Eddie’s over Richie’s is that Eddie’s brings up an interesting point but never capitulates on it. Eddie’s is set up as him being a hypochondriac, and his discovery of the placebos is way more plot facing than it is character facing since it doesn’t feed into the incredibly brash “final fight” at all. He just finds out and that’s…it.

The reason why Richie’s stood out more is because, out of all of them, him beating up the clown with a blunt object had at least something more going on under the surface other than…beating him up. Of course, this is a byproduct of getting rid of the “imagination weapons”.

Yeah honestly, I really surprised that the “this is battery acid” didn’t show it up. It made sense within the context they had set up in the film. The problem with Richie is that it’s not an actual arc, he doesn’t grow and change for any discernable reason. He’s just scared until Bill announces that they’re no longer scared of Pennywise and then he’s not.

Honestly, you can see the arcs that they traced out for the 4 main characters, Eddie overcoming his hypochondria, Richie overcoming his fear of clowns, Bev overcoming her fear of her father and Bill letting go of Georgie. The problem is that so little time was spent on them as characters that none of the work was done to create actual arcs. Most of them are a straightline, they’re scare and then they’re not. They don’t learn and grow so that they become no longer afraid.

Honestly, I would agree that Eddie had the strongest arc if they had cut out the placebo bit. If you’re going to streamline things to the barely bare essentials, go all the way. Go archetypical.

Them not being placebos would have made a more important statement than keeping that in.

Also, agreed about the “tracing the paths” thing you brought up. I mean, Bev’s whole arc is cut short because they end it in the weakest way possible just to end it. That they don’t learn and grow and all that is why I am probably not going to see the second one unless it’s part of a group discount.

I do wanted to add one thing I did really like, even if, again, it was borrowed straight out of other stories, though I do wish they hadn’t gone as blatant with it the second time, was Pennywise on the TV. The first time Bev comes home and the kid’s show is talking about how its fun to go into the sewer but the volume is low enough that if you’re not paying attention you could miss it I thought was a really great touch.

That was a nice touch, yeah. There’s effort in a lot of the details to this movie, which is why the unfortunate aspects shine out more. I liked how it streamlined their reasons for going into the sewer, even if they didn’t flesh that out past the initials.

Pennywise was in the background of several scenes in ways that didn’t directly play into the story. Murals and posters and such. It was a very nice touch.

Speaking of evil clowns, I watched American Horror Story: Cult (7.1). I love the fact that he’s not only skewering the far right right, but also privileged white liberals.

And yes, there are creepy clowns humping each other.

It will be interesting to see where this season goes.

Yeah, that was also a big part of the first season of Scream Queens and it was really fun there.

The Orville just finished…I found it actually quite decent. The worst thing I can say so far is that there is a sparseness to it, being a higher reaching Live-Action Fox show and all, but some humorous bits and the dramatic stuff is more or less in line with action/adventure tones. Will continue to watch.