millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

Saw Good Time, the new crime film starring Robert Pattinson. He’s amazing in it, as is the score by Oneohtrix Point Never. The movie barrels along, the tension almost never letting up as Pattinson solves and creates increasingly severe problems for himself on his nightlong odyssey to find money to bail his mentally disabled brother out of jail. Sounds noble? Well, not so much, as Pattinson is the one who got him arrested in the first place. As the story unfolds and we see more sides of this character, we start to realize he’s much worse than we thought. The movie shows us all the cruelty, amorality, and sleaze surrounding the one flicker of goodness in this man and lets us come to our own conclusions about his character. It’s an uncomfortable spot to be in as a viewer but I’m glad the movie put me in it.

Still, by the end, I feel there’s something missing, but I can’t really put my finger on what. Part of it is the way the story fizzles out instead of properly ending. Though maybe it’s the only way the story could’ve ended. Despite all his craftiness and quick-thinking, you never get the sense that Pattinson’s character ever really thinks through the implications of anything he does.

IT failed to scare me, and I have a clown phobia.

That can only mean you’ve been cured! Halellujah and praise the lord! :smile:

I watched about half of Kong this morning before the kids kicked off.

It was fine. Visually great at times but I’m not particularly bothered about watching the rest of it.

I think this had to be watched in the cinema to really get the most out of it.

By constrast I’m now wondering if I watched IT on the small screen, alone in the dark, that it might have been more effective.

There was more laughter than gasps in the packed cinema in Glasgow I watched it in, and one of my mates fell asleep during it - so with the benefit of 24 hours later my view is just as dim if not dimmer.

I watched the just dropped Season 4 of Bojack Horesman yesterday. Fantastic stuff.

It continues to be very funny and brutally honest and real with its characters. The voice cast is phenomenal in delivering funny jokes and serious dramatic dialogue while staying true to the characters they portray.

The show gets better with every season.

This sums up why IT will probably end up being the most successful Stephen King adaptation ever. A movie like THE MIST was very good, but nowhere near the audience pleaser that IT turned out to be. Personally, I doubt that a “better” movie would have had such mass appeal. For a long time now, horror movies have been saving studios’ bottom lines when their big-budget films flop. In terms of profit for every dollar spent, horror films like The Conjuring, Sinister, Insidious, Lights Out and Don’t Breathe recently have been far more profitable than even the Marvel superhero movies. Superhero films make a lot more but they spend a whole lot more to do it.

In the end, IT has more appeal for a wider audience than most of the other movies in the same genre. The characters are bland, but likable. It’s very lean as far as character development and every scene makes sense to the story being told, but doesn’t add anything more than it needs to. I imagine there was a lot that was cut simply because it didn’t relate in some way to the central conflict with Pennywise. At the same time, go back and watch Poltergeist and you’ll see the same approach. Everything is related to the haunting with the Freeling’s essentially revealing their character by what they do in the running time of the movie. Honestly, in any movie, there really isn’t any reason to know who the characters are outside of what they do in the movie. Their actions on screen define their characters.

I think IT will change the way that studios look at horror films and their place in the cinema. It is a movie that works for a much broader audience than even most horror films today, and it didn’t have to spend much more to do it.

It was a remake though - it’s not like it’s done anything new though is it?

Why will it change the way studios look at horror films - it’s not really doing anything new.

The films you named earlier, as a horror buff I really enjoyed (albeit to varying extents from good to great)
The Conjuring, Sinister, Insidious, Lights Out and Don’t Breathe - all being mainstream horror movies, what is it IT has done that they have not?

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

Except that is what IT explicitly didn’t do outside of the initial scares.

I will never understand why people liked the Mist. I thought it was godawful.

Good character actors mostly. I didn’t think much of the overall storyline, but Andre Braugher and Tom Jane and the whole lot…makes for entertaining viewing.

Watched Goon 2 last night. It’s not good. It’s got some funny stuff but its tone is just all over the place and comedy skews far wackier than the first movie. The end is just a mess that sends some really mixed messages. Really disappointing, especially after how good the first film was.

Not so much what it’s done that is new, but what it’s doing that hasn’t been done since the 80’s. IT really isn’t a straight horror movie. Instead, it is an action movie with horror movie scares. That’s what movies like Poltergeist, Fright Night and Gremlins were. Honestly, that’s what Nightmare on Elm Street and Evil Dead were as well. They weren’t like Halloween on the one end or Exorcist on the other.

Honestly, it’s been a while since we got something like that. Primarily, in the sense of an antagonist “monster” with dramatic flair. Pennywise, obviously, is a lot like Freddie, but he’s also a lot like Voldemort, to be honest. By the end of the movie, it was feeling a little like the darker scenes from Harry Potter than like the whacked out conclusion of Insidious, for example, or Sinister. It had become much more an adventure story of kids fighting a scary monster and had they kept the sort of “magical weapons” from the novel, that would have only been emphasized.

The Mummy came out like a month ago. It is literally an action movie with horror scares.

‘The Mummy’ was also very mixed up, not really sure what it was? It had some creepy bits, some funny bits, some action bits, some hoky bits, etc.

‘IT’ knows what it is.

I think ‘IT’ will help solidify horror as something the big studios are willing to go after, and not hedge their bets the way they did with ‘The Mummy’.

If Universal continue with their Dark Universe it could give them the confidence to just make them horror films, albeit ones with a lot of set pieces, like ‘IT’.

So IT is essentially a monster movie? I mean, I wouldn’t say that hasn’t been done in a while. It’s been done a lot, just maybe not in the same vein? We’ve had Mummy movies, and Godzilla movies, and Kong movies, Cloverfield, and Super 8 (which suffered from not know if it was a monster movie or not). But IT is trying more to be horror than action, if I’m understanding correctly?

That movie is also more about Tom Cruise rather than the Mummy, really, and made for $150 mil instead of $30. However, it is not the sort of action movie we haven’t seen recently. Its characters are not average people in a house or neighborhood. It’s practically a superhero movie - and that same approach worked with KONG recently - action movie with action heroes and monster movie scenes.

IT is the quintessential family or kids vs monsters action movie that many people remember fondly from their childhood. The big difference is that the creepy antagonists in those usually had a strong character as well. In SINISTER, there is a character like Freddie or Pennywise, but no real dramatic interaction with it. In Conjuring the evil presences are essentially supernatural malevolent forces of nature. They don’t interact with those. IT talks to the kids and puts on these horrific magic performances for them like Freddie or even Beetlejuice in some instances.

Giving the monster more character certainly can make the overall terror less effective, but at the same time, this movie’s intent was absolutely to extinguish the horror heroically by the end of the movie, unlike a film like Sinister or Insidious or even the original Nightmare and Phantasm movies that needed to leave you with a twist.

I honestly would have been all for them killing off IT in this movie instead of what they did end up doing.

Yeah, definitely. Or to really decide what sort of movie it is. Monster movies follow different paths than hauntings or possession movies. However, merging that with super heroic action is a challenge. Even Hellboy, though it was very good, didn’t manage to reach success with it. The obvious directions they’ll probably go could be a kind of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen approach or, like Hellboy or Blade, where the protagonists are monsters who fight a much more monstrous antagonist.

In the end, though, rather than the Universal movies, I’d probably be more interested in seeing a Marvel movie with Dracula from Tomb of Dracula vs Morbius, Blade and Werewolf by Night taking him on. Just make it a superhero movie.

That’s what they’ve been trying to do. Badly.