millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

The season finale of Dark Matter might throw a wrench into those crossover plans =P

Also… shit got real! I’ll say it again, it’s a low budget but fairly entertaining show. It’s obviously not as awesome as the Expanse… but they do well with what they have, which is something most shows of that kind can’t really say.

I saw Boss Baby with the kids today. It wasn’t as bad as I was expecting but still pretty average. Some good gags that my kids enjoyed though, especially the lowbrow stuff, which got some laughs from me too. (The Elvis-impersonators bit was my favourite, but I do love a subtitle gag.)

It did strike me though that it’s the latest kids’ film (of several that I’ve seen recently) that is built around a premise that seems pretty inaccessible for children, who don’t really have much of a concept of the management-speak world being mocked by the movie. It still works for them on the level of ‘clever baby who talks like an adult’ (which has been done countless times of course), but a lot of the specifics seemed pretty wasted on them.

Plus, the plot was pretty nonsensical in places. But as something to provide a skeleton for some good visual gags and action setpieces - plus some nicely imaginative, colourful and stylised fantasy sequences - it served its purpose.

I’m keen - I can’t access Sky stuff but it may make an appearance on Foxtel here (I couldn’t find it elsewhere online either).

I just got back from seeing ‘Terminator 2: 3D’, but since we have a thread for I’ll restrict my comments to here to, “it holds up”. I enjoyed it. More detail elsewhere.

Monday I was at Frightfest (again, more detial elsewhere) but I saw a selection of short films that will be on the festival circuit and you may get a chance to check them out.

‘Teddy Bear’s Picnic’ is a one joke premise. The writer/director is a professional illustrator and this is his first film. It shows unfortunately, but I wish him well in exploring his approach to moving images and storytelling.

‘MAB’ is a more developed story, but still feels like a pint in a half-pint pot. The director, Katie Bonham, is making a name for herself with her shorts, but this is something that needed more room to breathe and a bit more development.

‘An Eldritch Place’ is fun, but very european (from Belgium), in that it doesn’t quite connect it’s dots and probably doesn’t care. It’s a Lovecraft-inspired bit of fun with some cool moments and the cast are really good, even to me and I don’t speak their language. There’s more than a little Carpenter about it as well, which I liked.

‘Hum’ is scifi, and like ‘MAB’ feels like a feature crammed into a short. Solid cast again, and it looks good, but there’s a rushed quality to it that doesn’t help it’s emotional delivery.

‘Drip Drop’ is cool, beautifully shot and leaves you wanting more. It’s a Swedish “cabin in the wood” story, but a scifi, IKEA cabin in the woods. Or in this case, on the edge of lake.

‘Judgement’ is a black comedy, and again the casting delivers on the premise. It has a simple goal and achieves it. I take my hat off to this one for it’s focus and delivery.

‘Creswick’ is one you should probably see without an introduction. It’s a bit of a haunted house story but in a very human sort of a way. We were told a little too much about it. It works very well, solid and professional work, quite moving in places, but try to see it without too much preparation.

‘Held Down by a Shadow’ is a graduation film and well made. More haunted house… maybe… could be… is it…?sort of a thing. You can feel how hard everyone involved worked and wanted it to be “special”. I think it’s good, but like a lot of ideas, even at 18 minutes, it feels like there should be more. I would watch the 90 minute film if they ever made it.

‘Smear’ the short comedy I did some VFX for. I’m biased, so no review, but the audience enjoyed it so I hope you catch it at a screening sometime. The director Kate Herron, is already doing some TV in the UK, for BBC3 etc. so her career is already going places. I’m glad to say I think she really deserves it.

Discussed earlier:

Apparently Kingsman: The Golden Circle has a Denver song too.

That’s pretty cool. Country Road was a perfect choice for Logan Lucky.

Mr. Dusseldorf remains quite popular around here in Colorado. I went to one of his concerts long ago at the Universal Ampitheater, and he was really good. A lot of the “sweetness and softness” was production, in person he was much more the singer/songwriter/performer.

I watched Married To The Mob this evening, which isn’t a great film by any stretch of the imagination. The concept of a mob widow trying to escape her “in-laws” and start a new life is a good one, but the film never really gets to do more than sketch it out before it gets bogged down in its other story threads of an FBI team following her and the amorous advances of the don following her. There’s a new best friend/boss character that is introduced, barely used and then deployed as blackmail material, which doesn’t work, for instance.

The best thing is that you get to see Matthew Modine, Michelle Pfeiffer, Dean Stockwell and other good actors clearly having a lot of fun in their roles (in a good way, rathee than an Ocean’s way).

One interesting idea it has is that it uses clips from all its deleted scenes for a montage under the credits. Going by that, there was acres of footage not used (which is impressive given it’s the best part of two hours anyway). For a film made long before DVDs gave deleted scenes an outlet, it’s a really clever idea.

Rick and Morty season 3 is still maintaining a high level of intelligence and lowbrow comedy. Whenever you think that Rick is developing a soul, the show manages to make him even more of a shit than before. But a badass shit, nonetheless.

Amazon’s The Tick series is not as funny, but it is an effective mix of superhero comedy and action completely different from but in line with the previous comic book, cartoon and sitcom.

I found it more consistently funny.

Just finished The Trip To Spain and thoroughly enjoyed it. It stuck fairly close to the formula of the previous two series - with some great impressions and conversation throughout, some lovely food and some great photography of the Spanish countryside and coast.

The exception is the ending, which is quite a jarring note of very black humour that I enjoyed but which felt quite out of balance with the rest of the show.

It will be interesting to see if we get any more.

Because of the long weekend in the US, on HBO there is a Wire marathon and on Cinemax a Banshee marathon.

Decisions…

I’d always choose The Wire - come at the king, you best not miss.

Watched Arrival last night. I didn’t know much about it apart from that it was clever sci-fi and meant to be good.

Quite a melon twister; I didn’t see the ending coming at all.

Very well acted and shot, though Whitaker was incredibly hard to understand, and a lot of the sound in the first 30 minutes was overdone and distracting.

It loses points because I hate time paradoxes.

Thanks to your post we went back and watched the episodes we missed. It did get a lot better. Thanks for correcting me on that.

Isn’t it also the case that for music written and published before 1978, copyright law in the States requires that the copyright owner had to renew the copyright in the 28th year and thus extend it to the full 95 year protection?

If so, then a song written in 1978 would be out of copyright in 2016 unless this renewal was invoked.

John Denver was not alive to renew those songs.

What I am not sure of is whether those who inherited the copyright on his death would also have inherited the right to renew in the 28th year.

OK call me a cynical old bastard.

Very well - you’re a cynical old bastard.

Oh that’s awesome! I’m glad.

I’m not sure of the legalities but I kind of doubt it as we’d be getting loads of material falling into public domain around now and it only seems still to be some 1950s stuff that is.

This is what Wiki has to say about it which means it is unlikely:

In the U.S., any musical works published before 1922, in addition to those voluntarily placed in public domain, exist in the public domain. In most other countries, music generally enters the public domain in a period of fifty to seventy-five years after the composer’s death. (Public domain rights must be verified for each individual country.) It is important to note the distinction between “musical works” (sheet music and other compositions) and “sound recordings” (audio files, CDs, records), as virtually all sound recordings will not fall into public domain until 2067, unless explicitly placed into the public domain by its creators or made by an employee or officer of the United States Government acting under their official duty.[1]